1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Yet another horroble experience of fiat linea 1.3 MJD break down

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nilay, Jul 30, 2014.

1. nilay

Dear Members,

Had written below mail to fiat.need your suggestion and advise.
    My warranty claim is rejected as one of the service was done at 48k KM instead of 45k.The approximate cost of repair is around 1.5 lac out of which fiat will give 50% discount on parts is what told to me verbally today.

Have come across similar issue related threads in this forum and on team-bhp.Seems timing chain issue is unfixed bug in prior 2012 models.request all the owners to note and get the checks done/parts replaced immediately as precaution.

here we go.

Dear Fiat team,

Let me introduce myself. I, Nilay M Shah,Age 37,Working with Telecom giant as Sr. manager - IT department.My car registration no is MH 43 AJ 0757 - linea 1.3 MJD , Purchased in Jun 11, It has run 61106 Km and extended warranty no is 21107147780.

I am a fan of fiat and thats why I purchased the one.I had enjoyed every bit of my 60000 Kms travel in Fiat but what has happened on 1st Jul has left me in shock. Thinking how such thing can happen with the Fiat car.

On 1st Jul 14, I was driving on the expressway from Mumbai to Pune.At the first toll I got the alarm on the display panel that "Check engine oil pressure low" and car stopped.I manuvered the car on the sideway .Luckily I was at toll booth so got the help and escaped the possibility of fatal accident as I was driving on first lane.
    I checked the engine oil level etc and everything was found ok.Then I googled and checked the Team Fiat forum to know why such alarm comes and what could be the remedy.Few comments mentioned that they had also come across such alarms and after few minutes its gone. I tried to start the car again but it didnt and gave the alarm " Check Engine".

I took the help from the Fiat Road Side Assistance and towed my car to the Balaji service centre at Turbhe,Navi Mumbai.I must mention that the services provided by the FRSA was excellent and on time.

At Balaji the service engineer chekced the car and told me that this requires engine to be opened and it will go for the claim processing as I had extended warranty.
    I do the regular follow ups everyday with the Balaji team but am not getting any satisfactory response so far. They say the issue is due to the timing chain which is the known issue in Fiat cars and thus should be replaced at 48000 Km when the car gone for the service as at that time it was making some noise.Now I dont know why it was making noise but the balaji team checked it thoroughly and made no reference of any issue related to the timing chain.For noise they did some repairs in front bumper and replaced some parts.
    I got all my services done at the Fiat authorised service stations on regular basis.I was informed by the Balaji team recently post the incidence that the timing chain needs to be replaced at 60k Km or 4 yrs whchever is earlier.My car has just crossed 61000 Km and I was planning to go for the service in couple of days,But there is no reason that this could result in such a huge damage at just 61k Km.Now whats the use of taking the extended warranty if the claim is not approved.Its just an eye wash.

Doing further research on the net I came to know the shocking information that actually the timing chain issue is very well known in Fiat cars and thats why Fiat has launched the corrected model in 2012.But to my surprise it failed to recall the old cars for the rectification.
    Refer the below threads for the details.Also in Team fiat forum and at Balaji itself I came to know about similar issues faced by other owners.

(1) 2012 Fiat Linea sedan and Grande Punto hatchback diesels being tested with new timing chain; Possible recall on the cards, in an ICB Exclusive - Indian Cars Bikes

2012 Fiat Linea sedan and Grande Punto hatchback diesels being tested with new timing chain; Possible recall on the cards, in an ICB Exclusive.

(2) Fiat Linea and Fiat Punto (90 BHP) Owners. Timing chain issue & recall - Page 2 - Team-BHP

Let me know why should I suffer for such a huge cost and trouble despite of following all the guidelines and due to the product fault of poor design by Fiat and why I should not go to the consumer court for poor service and product standards.

2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sorry to hear about that,one thing we can discover that Check Engine on MID can be related to the Timing Chain.

Yes,Linea and 90Hp Puntos are recommended to change the timing chain at 60K Kms (as on paper).

Heavy discussion is going on Here about timing chain replacement.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Sad to see your first post with this mysterious 'Timing Chain' issue.

This is what Fiat does to everyone, and says 'Goodwill' Discount. Nothing can be done here as you have missed that and unfortunately you can't use warranty, when it is actually needed.
    I wish, you would had seen this thread earlier - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/engine-compartment/6694-timing-chain-replacement.html
    Strange and again unfortunate that this issue came just before you were planning to do get it changed.
    Not sure what can be done now, as you missed service schedule and can't use warranty. I would suggest try talking to Fiat higher-ups and see if more help can be provided.
  4. nilay

Yes . You are right Ravi.The most disappointing thing is so called great engine/desine etc... can fail miserably at just 61k Km..Not heard of such cases with other cars in similar category.Also it had not given me any alarm/warning to react.
    Till now am able to contact only Fiat service desk.Trying to find some contact no of Fiat higher ups.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    Hello Nilay!
    Felt sorry for your ordeal. As per rules , you cant vouch for warranty. If Fiat is giving 50% discount, that's a serious goodwill.
    Generally we do servicing a bit before the prescribed interval. You missed that by 1k; Plus, as you mentioned you did one of your service at 48K instead of 45K, warranty claims will obviously be rejected because you missed it by quite a margin.
    Timing chain repair/failure also depends on the usage of car. So it is recommended that between 55k-60k kms timing belt should be replaced/checked/repaired.

I dont think opting for consumer court will do any good because may be the in earlier models their was a design fault, but in your case it lasted till 61K; thats almost the life of timing chain(again depending on usage) and you missing your service interval twice wont help too.
    2 people like this.
  6. ravudai9

ravudai9 Timido

Sad to know about the trouble in your Linea. One thing for sure is that our Fiats have quite a high part failure rate. The service life of several high cost components is just 60-75k kms. My alternator bearing failed at 85000 km at which time the clutch was also replaced. However, I was lucky that the dealer at Jalandhar got the bearing replaced under the extended warranty despite the car having covered more than the warranty of 80000km/4yr (whichever is earlier). On the other hand, my 10 year old esteem has clocked more than 1.5 lac km but has had no major issues that I have had to face in my 4 years of fiat ownership. The parts quality of Fiats sadly leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest you should take up the issue more sternly with the dealer & try to get in touch with the fiat top brass as soon as possible.
  7. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

That's a very small premium we pay for owning one of the best handling car today.
    The way it provokes us to drive make those critical parts fail earlier than expected.

But people who cry about fiat service think about it.
    It has replaced many critical parts under extended warranty or goodwill warranty.

Even in this case it is ready to bear 50%of the cost.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

IMO, Fiat has been generous enough with 50% goodwill though there are lapses in maintenance.

Try the same with VW and then you would be grateful to Fiat.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Not really or entirely true. On tbhp there are customers of ms who had gone through same issue n there are other people who claim to have exp such failures in their known folks cars like Skoda. A proper emphasis is not done by customers on relevant forums like fiatians do. We as enthusiasts with over love on fiat try to blow up every possible portals.

You can't expect censors for every mechanical components present there. 60k is a ideal time t chains go weak.

On flip side, sorry to see your car going through this rough patch, though you enjoyed the the last 55+ k km with the fullest extend, didn't u?.
    Every one has already said about missing schedule and what could be tried out. All I can say is best of luck.

BTW what is the t- chain costs??
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  10. ravudai9

ravudai9 Timido

I don't think the way I drive has had anything to do with the part failures. I drive both cars in the same manner, only difference being the fiat probably has more speed at corners. My usual speed hovers at 85-90 km/hr for both which I don't think is taxing on either of the engine. It is just that the service life of parts is on the lesser side of 1 lac km & the parts are relatively expensive no matter what fiat claims. On the service front, yes, their service is not bad at all. In fact, the workers at FASS are more receptive to complaints than the irritated & overworked ones whom I have to deal with at Maruti.
    Even on warranty claims, I totally support you on the fact that Fiat is more considerate & helpful.