1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Yes!! you can upgrade the OEM HU, solution found - bulk purchase anyone?

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by Italia-Linea, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Hi folks,

Its a proven fact that the OEM head unit is crap when it comes to SQ and features.

However replacement of this HU with aftermarket ones becomes tricky as one looses the blue and me and steering wheel controls.

After lot of investigations and doing diy stuffs on the oem hu as you all know i have decided to change the HU.

When it comes the SQ, one name cannot be bypassed is KENWOOD.

Why Kenwood, SQ + direct fit to FIAT :)

Kenwood sells an interface which keeps alive all the steering wheel controls.

With a bluetooth model like KDC8016BT, you can pair your phone with it. Whenever a call comes, you can pick it through the steering wheel control itself.

Link:

http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/tech/swa/

gr8 to see that the car on the page itself is FIAT 500 which has same system like linea and punto :)

I spoke to Kenwood distributors. He said that they do not have this interface as there is no demand.

If anyone is interested in purchase then we can place a bulk order.
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Just for my information, this one is still not compatible with Blue n Me Right? It's just to retain the Steering controls while using a after Market HU.
  3. Italia-Linea

Pune
    you get blue and me features via head unit itself :) ofcourse without bugs
  4. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    As far as my research knows, there is no credible and proven solution to integrate Blue and Me with an after market HU.

If this is the solution to at least integrate the steering remote, I dont mind giving it a try.

Can you let me know the model number and if it is available abroad? We can also source it online I guess.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Italia-Linea

Pune
    yes the model number and details of the interface is given in the link above.

we can also integrate out blue and me to the new head unit. the head unit should have tel mute function with auto switch to aux.

but thats not worth the pain. instead a good head unit with bluetooth should work like a charm.
  6. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Any headunit which has all the ISO Pins functional or alteast the pins that are used by our system are functional as per ISO standards, then it can be used as replacement. This pins are standard and Blue & Me is using those default sets only. Nothing special in this case. Please kindly read the ISO Pin structure and then check out how the blue and me unit is connected to Head unit. Its not that difficult as perceived.

Blue and Me system is addon on default audio system, HU is not built specifically for Blue and ME. Infact we can even decide / change the keys function based on connectivity :) if you are left hand user you can receive call using mute button and disconnect using call picker too :p Interchange connections :D
    Let me know if anyone needs any additional help in this regard.
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    Then this would be interesting. Although, I'm not looking at a BT enabled HU, as I'd prefer to use my Jabra SP700. But then I found that they've kind of stopped marketing non-BT good HUs.

Actually, to be honest, the steering remote controls on the Linea aren't too awesome or responsive either. I was willing to let go of that functionality. But if there's a cheap interface to make it work, I'll be happy.

On the Blue and Me - I've never liked the slow and buggy system. Good riddance.

P.S. Any idea about the cost of this interface? I did a quick search but could not locate it online.

Are you sure? I was told by the dealer and an ICE installer that B&M utilizes a different set of connectors and hence there has been no interface designed yet to make it compatible with after market HUs. I guess it's too small a market for manufacturers to look at.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    This is worth considering if what Viny said is correct. I think the Steering control interface is something like the one shown in the video below but the kenwood one might be preconfigured to work for FIAT which = less pain installing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DPy4w8QqQI
  9. Italia-Linea

Pune
    nice to hear from you Viny after a long time. seems you went underground for some period :)

well you can treat the blue and me as a AUX input and that is how it works. Look at the pic below. blue and me is just connected to the pins in the green box.

how it works is, it sends a tel mute signal to the head unit which in turn mutes the HU which is playing CD/FM and then the head unit auto switches to AUX in.
    the wires from blue and me are connected to AUX R AUX L which directs the audio to speakers via HU. for this reason there is continuous 12V supply to the HU power amp to keep it on.

so even if your head unit does not have complete iso connections its fine. it should have tel mute for switching and aux in for diverting sound from external source(blue and me) to speakers.

with new head unit and the interface the steering controls will be very fast and accurate. i have seen the videos too of this installed on a punto.

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

there are N number of steering wheel control interfaces. but there is none that makes the phone being picked up by call button on the steering on fiats.

this kenwood ones does that perfectly.
  10. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    By the way , why are we gung ho about Blue n me? as a phone interface i have found it to be 50 percent use able, that is only for attending calls. regarding number dialing ,hang up etc ,blue n me acts like some junk from ww2. too much buggy .

I would prefer something better any day, at least better than blue n me.I expected at least a firmware update but none so far . which means hopeless it is.
    2 people like this.