1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Yercaud, TN - My First Punto Trip!!!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by pra.agar, Mar 17, 2015.

1. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    It's been a year I bought Punto home and I always wanted to take it for a long drive. That is when, My Wife and I thought all day is a busy day in our life, lets make it happen. So we started looking out for places near to Bengaluru < 300 KM radius. We shortlisted

1) Coorg
    2) Yercaud
    3) Jog Falls and Gokarna

Reason being for short distance, as this was my first long drive & I wanted to first see how good it goes for both of us, and believe me it was just perfect.
    Finalising on the location was one big task, being it has to match our requirement at this season of time like weather, distance, stay, food, peaceful place, places to see and the most important thing was we wanted some own time from the busy schedule. After reading a lot of reviews on all this places, replies on TFI threads, getting input from my travel freak friend and Accuweather report, I narrowed it down to, Yercaud it is!!!

Now the real job started, getting a decent stay with effortable pricing. After lots of finding we got a good offer on Happy Nest Resort, next to Yercaud Lake. Now we started doing our homework on places to visit and made a list of places to visit. By now we were all existed for the travel date to arrive.

And that day had arrived!!!
    Day 1 - 14 March' 15
    We started from Bengaluru at around 6.10AM and reached our Resort at around 11 AM with 2 pit stops of 20 mins each.
    Onward Route opted was via the 20 Head Pin Bends and that was one awesome experience https://goo.gl/maps/cUjqX !!

IMG_4323.JPG

IMG_4328.JPG

Upon reaching the Resort, location was good with facing towards the lake but as the lake was a little dry we couldn't get that better view of lake. They greeted us with welcome drink and gave us multiple options of rooms to opt from. After taking an hour rest we started our journey of sight-seeing.

IMG_4329.JPG

IMG_4330.JPG

Balcony View.
    IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4334.JPG

We had planned for visiting the near-by places first and kept the 32 KM Loop Rd for next day. That is when we planned for

1) Pagoda Point
    2) Mont Fort School ( Note : Usually they don't allow to visit the school premesis)
    3) Rose Garden
    4) Yercaud Lake
    5) Ladies Seat

Most of the places were in 5-10 KM radius from our resort.
    Map : https://goo.gl/maps/6rRhq

Pics & Reviews.

Pagoda View Point. It was very near to our resort and I would rate it 3/5. Wasn't that impressive like Karadiyoor/Manjakuttai View Point. May be because I was expecting more and the time we visited was wrong. But it's completly my experirence.

PANO_20150314_140125.jpg

PANO_20150314_140140.jpg

PANO_20150314_142233.jpg

PANO_20150314_142246.jpg

IMG_4404.JPG

Mont Fort School. Would rate it 5/5. A must visit for people who wants to get a glimpse of Hostel Life and all that schools we see in Bollywood movies one being Taare Zameen Par (As I've studied in Kurseong near Darjeeling, I know that feeling). They don't allow visitors to enter but upon requesting the watchman, he allowed us for a small walk inside the campus.

IMG_4424.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

IMG_4427.JPG

Rose Garden. Don't expect much of a Roses here. But if you are going as a couple u can have a good time and get some good snaps clicked. Would rate 4/5.

IMG_4433.JPG

IMG_4458.JPG

Yercaud Lake. A good place for sit-out and boating though we didn't boat. Had some snack and enjoyed the view. Would rate it 4/5.

IMG_4476.JPG

Ladies Seat. Would Rate 4/5. This place is a must visit at evening. It was cloudy the evening we visited so could not get the complete sunset view but was worth the watch. We left before dark as my wife was along with me and the nearby local people/shopkeeper were all packed and leaving, but I've heard the view looks too good during night hours.

We were back to our resort by 6:30PM. Resort had Bonfire and Music Fountain which just made our evening. Then we had our dinner in open air at same resort. If you are not fond of South Indian food then don't expect much food option/quality in Yercaud and the Resort food was pathetic. We ordered Paneer Butter Masala which tasted like a Tomato Soup and Dal Fry was just plain Dal like one served in Jails
    ramjn, ghodlur, Ravi and 2 others like this.
  2. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Day 2 - 15 March' 15
    Waking up to the Birds Chirping & Singing is altogether a different experience. The Moring view from resort was too beautiful. Clear Blue Sky and the greenery around was a perfect view one can expect from one's balcony during our morning tea. After having finished with our BreakFast we spent some time at the Resorts Sit-out and Lawn.

At around 12:15 we began our day 2 trip. 32 KM Loop Road including Shevaroy Temple --> Karadiyoor View Point --> Manjakuttai View Point.
    Map : https://goo.gl/maps/J8iEI
    NOTE : The circle you see in the map is the 32 KM Loop Road. People who loves driving must have this included in their itinerary. The View and Drive is just mind-blowing.

We didn't have Kiliyur Falls in our itinerary because we knew at this time of season there wouldn't be any water or falls to see, hence wasn't worth going but then we had a second thought and paid it a visit. Once we reached there we saw people boozing around and the crowd was not decent. The Resort Manager had also shared that as its Sunday its a little safe to visit but other days he wouldn't recommend visiting it. We went half way and realised visiting it was a bad decision and returned to our normal itinerary.

IMG_4506.JPG

Pics & Review.

Shevaroy Temple & Viewpoint. We first visited the temple which is inside a cave.
    NOTE : The temple has clear message stating Camera not allowed and It's believed that one should not click any pic inside the temple. As per the Priest "It's believed to be Dangerous and a couple had died because of it".
    We then walked to the View Point. Would rate it 4/5. The weather turned out to be too good. It was all cloudy.

PANO_20150315_134055.jpg

PANO_20150315_134130.jpg

PANO_20150315_134254.jpg

PANO_20150315_134312.jpg

Next Stop was Karadiyoor viewpoint. This is the best view point of all I've seen. A little isolated and I think many people are not aware of it. I would rate it 5/5. Visit with precaution as its really isolated. Other places we could see some crowd but at this places we could not see anyone around.

PANO_20150315_151325.jpg

PANO_20150315_151347.jpg

PANO_20150315_151403.jpg

Before reaching Karadiyoor View Point we lost our way and glad we did. The roads their were too beautiful. Check out the pic.

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

Manjakuttai View Point. Again this is also a must visit. Would rate this also 5/5. This viewpoint also had no one around but this View Point is inside a village hence wasn't that isolated.

PANO_20150315_170703.jpg

IMG_4613.JPG

And Last the 32 KM Loop Road, Loop road could not be found in the map. It's nothing but the loop/circle you see in the Map https://goo.gl/maps/J8iEI which is 32 or 33 KMs long. The Drive on this road felt just WOW and so did the sceneries. Again this one gets a 5/5 rating.

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4555.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

After completing the Loop Road trip at around 6PM we again visited Yercaud Lake. By this time the boating activities were stop and we entered the park from Exit gate and spent some time there. Returned to Resort at around 7PM. By then it started raining heavily. We started looking for better dinner options. People had suggested GRT or Orange View but due to heavy Rain we ended up at Waterfront Restaurant next to Eggetarian. We ordered Noodles and Gobi manchurian. Noodles was OK but Gobi manchurian was not well cooked and the taste was pathetic. Wouldn't recommend dining here.

IMG_4720.JPG

Next day we left around 8AM for Bengaluru. The route we took was different from one we came. Reason being this route included some good scenic route and village that was worth travelling from. And we avoided the SALEM city route to avoid their traffic.
    Route : https://goo.gl/maps/ND9hx

Disclaimer : Reviews and Ratings are based on my personal experience. Most of the places were isolated and should be visited at your own risk. Routes taken during this trip is what best suited my plan and hence not enforced to follow it. Photographs share in this thread is clicked by My Wife and Me.
    nibedk, ramjn, the_crusader and 5 others like this.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  4. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Pagoda point was not that well maintained. Else all place which I visited looked well maintained.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @pra.agar
    Nice travelogues and well complemented by some superb pics (Camera details pls). What speeds did you generally do throughout the trip? How much kms did you cover round the trip?
  6. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks @ghodlur!!! All panorama views are clicked using Nexus 5, rest all are by Canon SX 40.
    Total distance : 596.2 KMS ( Start & End point : Hebbal, Bengaluru)
    Speed on highways was from 100-140 kmph both ways.
    During hills climbs it varies based on narrow road, curves and traffic but in Loop Road one can drive well as the roads are good and less traffic.
  7. Omar

Omar Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @pra.agar

Nice write-up along with some lovely pics out there. Bought back old memories from my trip :)

Can you please include some figures on the mileage you got on this trip?

Thanks
  8. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Excellent writeup Omar. The locations were exquisite and the white Punto jelled well in all those beautiful locations, kindly add the details of the hotels and expenses as well if you are fine as it would help many of us who might plan as well .
  9. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Bangalore
    @Omar the overall mileage shown was 13kmpl :( ( petrol ), I was expecting 15+ but I think the mileage was less because of hill drives?

@PradeepM two days stay costed me 2.7k including everything from goibibo after discounts and goibibo points which included a standard double occupancy room non-ac with complimentary breakfast and wifi.
  10. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    Good T-Log Prateek. You have covered most of the places there.
    I remember there use to be a Silk farm where you can see breeding of silk worms and the overall silk making process. Also there is a Murugan temple (Lord Kartikeya) on the hill top which is worth visiting (Need to be little careful while climbing the hill as the approach road is narrow and there are no boundaries across the twisties :) )
    pra.agar likes this.