1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

With Less HP, My Linea Covers More HP!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Oct 10, 2012.

1. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

one query sir..what precautions do you take while having 'power nap' on the road? do you keep engine running all the time?
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ravi Sir...

My drive down to Mumbai is also under finalization as I leave in next 7 days... (Details at http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-travel-experience/6929-query-delhi-mumbai.html)

While the things are under finalization ... I went though another thread...

Where I came across this comment:

And they were talking about being stopped for yellow strip on the headlight!!!

This made me once again look into the Google Maps...

Now it seems there are two options of getting out of the expressway. one is to get out of the Expressway to avoid the city...
    One is to take the exit at the Sardar Patel Ring Road... or continue further and take the exit at NH 48 (which seemed to have been taken by you)....

Seek your opinion on
    1. is the yellow strip on headlight really a concern?
    2. how is the Bharuch bridge, which was pointed out as a concern stretch by Johnny Sir in his log?
    3. which one of the two exits of Ahemdabad Vadodra Expressway is preferable???
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Select a place that is well-lit, safe, visible to the other road-users, like truck lay-bay, petrol pump, toll plaza, hotel, etc.
    Only in Kargil, I kept the engine idling with ACC set at 22 deg C while taking power nap as the outside temperature was around 9 deg C. In other places, keep the engine switched off and window lowered by a few inches.
    My Linea does not have the yellow sticker on the RHS headlamp, but faced no problem so far. I had stayed at Surat, Vadodara and Ahmedabad in the last 3 years.
    I didn't face any problem both during up [morning] and down [evening] journeys. While coming from Ahmedabad towards Mumbai, keep to the left after Bharuch toll plaza. Cars and two-wheelers are allowed on the old bridge both ways [there is a board asking the cars/2-wheelers to go on the old bridge]. In the reverse direction, keep to the right and drive on the old bridge and join the highway to the left after crossing the bridge.
    While coming from Udaipur towards Mumbai, keep driving on Sardar Patel Ring Road that will directly take you to NE1 to Vadodara. You don't have to go into Ahmedabad unless you want to. In the reverse direction from Vadodara to Ahmedabad, there are clear signages indicating Udaipur/Jaipur and take that ramp which will take you to Sardar Patel Ring Road, and then, to NH 8. Don't take the ramp meant for Ahmedabad.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    3 people like this.
  4. Thanks a ton Ravi sir!!!

Must say that your guidance and travelogues have been the encouragement and inspirational to plan this trip!!!

Shall keep updating!!!
    1 person likes this.
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    J Ravi sir, wonderful travelogue so far. Give me 15-20 minutes. I will mail you your pics from the tyre change shop. :)
    2 people like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Chandigarh 25 September 2012 Tuesday

The first and foremost programme today was change of tyres for my Linea. My Linea's stock tyres covered about 51,900 km so far with few more mm of tread left. But, I decided to replace her tyres with the same GoodYear GT3 as I was fully satisfied with the performance of GT3. No experimentation when fully satisfied with a product, that is my principle so far. So, I took two quotations from GoodYear dealers in Chandigarh earlier. Tyre Zone [Dot Arjun] quoted Rs 4,400 plus free fitment/wheel balancing with wheel alignment chargeable. Bansal Auto Zone quoted Rs 4,500+free fitment only all others chargeable. So, I decided in favour of Tyre Zone, Manimajra, Chandigarh.

We had sumptuous and delicious breakfast from vast spread of buffet at Hometel. Later, PaddleShifter [Dr Yashik Basnal], moderator of TFI, drove in in his Punto. I am thankful to PaddleShifter, who spent most of the day with us and guided my Linea in getting a new set of GT3 tyres. PaddleShifter was kind enough to guide us to Tyre Zone. He patiently sat with us while the work was going on. When the work was over, Dot Arjun charged me Rs 17,600 only all inclusive including nitrogen air-filling, wheel-balancing, fitment and wheel alignment. He also gave me a JK tyre-branded traveller's bag. That was a good deal, in fact cheaper than that of changemytyre.com. The cost was very less compared to our local GoodYear brand store at Basaveswara Nagar, Bangalore. On the way to Tyre Zone, Manimajra, while waiting for signal at a rotary, a police constable approached me and asked me to remove the sun-shade on the rear window of my Linea. When I told him that it was OE stock one, he insisted on removing it. I assured him that I would do so after reaching the destination and did so.

After completion of the work, we went to CCD outlet at Panchkula where we had veggie burger and Lemon Majito and my wife had her favourite cappuccino. The mini TFI meet ended with some photo ops.:)

In the evening, we walked to the nearby PVR Centra Mall, roamed around, had dinner, returned to the hotel and had a good night's sleep.

More to come.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    16 people like this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    All pics and contents from this thread is drooling. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Was this near the Vashi toll plaza? The Octroi plaza just after the Vashi toll plaza is where this stuff goes on every night. Since you were driving to Vadodra from Bangalore, you could have driven via Thane-Belpaur road, onto Airoli then Thane and onto Ghodbunder road from where you would connect to NH4.
    1 person likes this.
  9. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

J Ravi suggested you 100% precise info about Taking EXIT from Baroda- Ahmedabad Expressway...

By any chance if you happen to choose to enter Ahmedabad city then plz. let me know, I would be more than happy to meet you buddy....

Even if you choose to bypass ahmedabad then also let me know, I will try my level best to make it to S.P.RingRoad if you happen to have little spare time...

I will PM you my contact info....

You had another query about Bharuch Bridge...
    I have another suggestion apart from what J Ravi Sir Suggested...
    You can take Golden bridge, which connects Ankleshwar town and Bharuch Town... Its an alternative for Bharuch Highway Bridge...
    Once I had spent around 6 Hrs. on that Bharuch Highway Bridge and since then I had decided not to go from that bridge... I found out this alternative from locals of Bharuch and Ankleshwar...

I am attaching the screen shot of Google Map...

1 person likes this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Thanks, kedarbendre, for the compliments.:)
    Yeah, I think so. It was going on even after 6 am!
    Thanks, amit. I think that was the route my MMI navigator guided. Only thing was, I didn't enter Thane. I saw the signages, Belapur, Airoli, etc., finally reaching Ghodbunder. In the return journey, as I had been invited for breakfast and lunch by our family friends at Santacruz, we drove directly reaching there by 6:15 am in time for breakfast.:)
    1 person likes this.