1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

With Less HP, My Linea Covers More HP!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Oct 10, 2012.

1. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Welcome Back J.Ravi sir!! It's good to see you back safe and sound!! Hats off to your driving :) Nice pics!! Your tempting me to gear up for such trips :p
    1 person likes this.
  2. Great updates..Yeh dil maange more!!!:rolleyes:::T
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

welcome home Ravi sir...... as pioneeraaron said you are tempting us to gear up for such trips..... great going sir.....
    1 person likes this.
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore To Vadodara

This was the route taken:

Myself and my wife started this trip in our Linea in the afternoon after lunch so that we would reach Ginger, Vadodara in time. My Linea had tankful of petrol at HP COCO outlet en route and continued the journey on NH 4. Road-widening works from 4-lanes to 6-lanes were in progress in many stretches up to Satara.

We had our sodium-vapour lamp-lit dinner comprising chapatthis and side-dish packed from home somewhere after Belgaum. My Linea had another tankful at HP COCO outlet at Kolhapur. Later, she crossed 50 k km mark.

I continued my driving non-stop. After crossing Mumbai, I felt drowsy necessitating a power nap. I stopped where there were number of trucks parked at about 6 am, the next day and immediately drowned in sleep. Suddenly I heard a tap on my side of window. I lowered it. I saw two females [or transgenders?] dressed in scanty, flashy way asked me to park my Linea elsewhere. I retorted, why. Then, I realised that they were practising the world's oldest profession. One of them informed me that it was their work area and it would not be nice for aunty, pointing out my wife! My wife got wild and urged me to get out asap. With my disturbed sleep, I continued my driving until I crossed a toll plaza and had my remaining part of the power nap there!:) Later, we had the same left-over chappatthies for breakfast and continued my driving until we reached Vadodara.

More in the queue.
    18 people like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Funny incident with transgenders ;).
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

Was there traffic when you crossed Mumbai? Just curios to know about ideal time to cross Mumbai without getting in to traffic.
    1 person likes this.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I crossed Mumbai by 5 am. Even at that time, there were many trucks on the road, but there was no traffic jam!:)
    1 person likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Vadodara To Chandigarh Via Yamuna Expressway

This was the route that my Linea took:

After delicious buffet lunch at Ginger, Vadodara, we checked out. I started driving to Chandigarh, my next destination via National Expressway 1 [NE1] that connects Vadodara with Ahmedabad. After paying the toll, I enjoyed driving on NE1. My joy was short-lived. My Linea started vibrating too much @ 60 - 70 kmph speed. The vibrations were felt on the steering wheel as well in the cabin. In higher and lower speeds, the vibrations were not felt. I felt bumpy ride especially on the RHS. I knew, my Linea will have to go to the authorised service station at Chandigarh in addition to the replacement of tyres. I started guessing what could go wrong, link rod, shock-absorbers or tyres. After Himatnagar, I stopped at HP COCO outlet for tanking up my Linea. At that time, I inspected my Linea thoroughly. I could not find anything abnormal. So, I decided to drive above 80 kmph so that the vibrations will be less and continued my journey.

Crossing Udaipur was a painful affair. With a two-lane bypass, coupled with heavy truck traffic, my Linea was caught in a traffic jam. After that, it was a butter-smooth road all the way to Jaipur via Chittorgarh and Bhilwara with very less traffic. We stopped at BP COCO outlet with a Ghar Dhaba at Soniyana for dinner and tankful of petrol for my Linea. Again, crossing Jaipur to take on NH 11, that too in the night, tested my patience. Roads with craters greeted us before my Linea could find solace with NH 11. We reached Agra at the small hours of the day and my Linea had one more tankful of petrol there before entering Yamuna Expressway.

After entering Yamuna Expressway [YE], I felt sleepy and started yawning continuously. So, I parked my Linea at a safe place and slept. Suddenly, my wife woke me up and pointed towards a highway patrol van. When I lowered the glass, a police personnel suggested that I sleep at the nearby toll plaza. So, I drove up to the next toll plaza and took a power nap there. Later, after a cup of hot tea, I continued my driving on YE. Most of the tarmac comprised concrete with a rough finish so as to ensure good road grip. Again, my joy of driving on YE was short-lived: my Linea started making some weird sound from the RHS in addition to vibrations.:eek: A kind-hearted gentleman in MS SX4 overtook my Linea and pointed out to my Linea's front right wheel. I stopped and checked. I could not find anything abnormal. But, my Linea's vibrations plus sound continued unabated. I continued driving, but slowly.

My Linea entered Delhi in busy peak hour traffic. After bypassing Delhi in bumper-to-bumper traffic, my Linea entered NH1. We decided to have an early dinner as we didn't have breakfast in the morning. We stopped at Pehalwan dhaba at Murthal on NH1 and had sumptuous lunch after completing our morning ablutions. By now, the sound was also gone. Only vibrations remained in my Linea.

I continued my driving cruising at 80 kmph on the left lane of NH1, crossing Sonepat, Panipat and Karnal. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang.:eek: My wife, who was enjoying a siesta after a good meal, froze. My Linea dragged towards the left. I knew, it was the front right tyre burst. I brought my Linea to halt on the extreme left of NH1. Thankfully, there was very less traffic on NH1 at that time of the day. I got down and inspected. Yes, it was the tyre burst with more than a foot of tyre opened up on the tread portion including sidewall, exposing metallic mesh beneath the rubber layer.

I replaced the front right wheel with the spare steel wheel, which consumed more than half-hour and continued my driving towards Chandigarh. After driving for some distance, my wife observed that with the change of tyre, both the vibration and the sound were gone! Then, I realised it was so. I tried different speeds: my Linea was back to normal without any trace of vibration or sound. So, was the burst tyre culprit? I don't know the answer.

We reached Hometel, Chandigarh, checked in and crashed to the bed for well-earned rest.

More to come.
    16 people like this.
  9. lowflier

lowflier Amatore

South Florida
    Oh, that was a narrow escape - thank goodness ! As you were cruising at 80, how could you handle the tyre burst ? Didn't your car take a sudden turn ? Btw, all's well that ends well :)
    1 person likes this.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Thanks, lowflier. As I had mentioned, my Linea dragged towards the left without any sudden turn. I could easily bring her to halt by removing my foot from the accelerator with some braking.
    1 person likes this.