1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

With Less HP, My Linea Covers More HP!

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Oct 10, 2012.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    When we walked 4 km to and fro, none of the shops or street food vendors was open, that too, at the busy and posh CBD of Indore! Leave alone namkeens and sweets, we struggled to get that poha/chai for our survival as we were starved from the previous night!

Noted for the next mega trip. :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Great to read this and to see the bus route. These kind of service is hardly available in most of the town in India.
    1 person likes this.
  3. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Such a dedicated bus lanes in Bangalore/Chennai are next to the impossible.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    2 people like this.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Indore To Amritsar

At a glance:

IndoreToAmritsarTrip.jpg

This was the route taken:

IndoreToAmritsarRoute.jpg

Getting out of Indore was hell, which continued for the next 50 km upto Lebad. My Linea bottom-scraped a few times thanks to the bad roads.

DSC00153.jpg

We had late lunch just before Lebad at a roadside dhaba called Hotel Patel Highway. The food was awesome.

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00160.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

DSC00164.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

My Linea had petrol at Jaora. The 4 lane toll road ended at MP/RJ border. Driving from the MP/RJ border upto Chittorgarh was hell. My Linea did many off-roading in many stretches to overtake the armies of trucks parked, blocking the entire road. My Linea's bottom-scraping score crossed 10 by the time we reached Chittorgarh. At Bhilwara, my wife did some shopping of chappals and shoes at 11:30 pm! One salesman, who worked in Coimbatore earlier, started chatting with us in Tamil and gave some generous discounts as we were the last customers for the day! :) Later, my Linea had tankful at BP OSTS [One Stop Truckers' Shop - COCOO] at Soniyana. We had our dinner at a roadside restaurant and I continued my driving. We crossed Kishangarh and entered the awesome RIDCOR highway all the way to Hanumangarh. Driving in the night on a deserted 2 lane toll road winding through the deserts was a unique experience.

DSC00180.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

My Linea had another tankful of petrol at HP Sardarshahar in the next morning. We had our morning ablutions, wash and some rest there. We had some biscuits and continued our journey. Later, we breakfasted at a roadside dhaba where we asked for poha. We were told that apart from rotis/side dish, nothing was available. We had some rotis for the breakfast and continued our marathon drive. After crossing Hanumangarh, my MapMyIndia navigator guided me to go via Bathinda. So, I asked a cop just for confirmation. He advised me to go via Abohar, avoiding Bathinda. So, I continued my driving towards Abohar bypass and my navigator automatically started guiding via Abohar bypass. We passed through many towns and villages. Crossing the railway line at Kotkapura and Faridkot was torturous. We had our late lunch after crossing Faridkot.

Finally, we reached the vicinity of the Golden Temple, Amritsar at 5:30 pm. But, barricades prevented us from driving further towards our hotel. So, I called the hotel. The person on the other end asked me to give the phone to the cop, which I did. After a few minutes of conversation, the cop allowed my Linea towards our hotel. Again after a few hundred metres, another set of barricades prevented us from going further. This time, the cop posted there explained that in view of the construction activities going on near the temple, traffic was diverted via the small lanes. That gentleman-cop guided me to the lane, regulated the traffic to enable me to drive to our hotel. While I was driving on the lanes, my Linea was surrounded by two-wheelers, cycle-rickshaws, LCVs, and what-not. At one point, there was a steep stretch, where I could not drive with speed because of heavy traffic. When I slowed down, the tyres started spinning without traction. I could not reverse and come back with momentum because of armies of two-wheelers behind my Linea as it was a peak hour. In the second attempt, I could drive over that steep stretch, reach our hotel at 6:15 pm and checked in.

MID.jpg

Many more are in the queue.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    9 people like this.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    3 people like this.
  7. onlymakarand

onlymakarand Amatore

Bhusawal
    Agree abt Grand View,Dalhousie! We had stayed there for 3 nights back in 2009 and it was pure bliss!!:) 5 + 2 more stars for that hotel from me!!:grin:
    1 person likes this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Amritsar

We unpacked and rested for a while. After taking bath, we walked to Sri Harmandir Sahib [The Golden Temple]. After visiting the temple and praying, we had food at the langar, returned to the hotel and slept. The next day, after getting ready, we had our morning tea, visited the temple and had food in the langar once again. We bought some khadas at a shop in the temple premises. Then, we walked to a known shop located near Jallianwala Bagh, bought some dry fruits, nuts and raisins. My wife did some shopping of dress materials for women. We returned to the hotel, refreshed, packed, checked out by 12 noon and started our drive to Dalhousie.

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

More to come.
    8 people like this.
  9. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Amritsar To Dalhousie

At a glance:

AmritsarToDalhousieTrip.jpg

This was the route taken:

AmritsarToDalhousieRoute.jpg

The road-widening works were in progress from Amritsar to Pathankot with numerous diversions that reduced our progress. We lunched at a Vaishno dhaba and continued our journey. We had to pay rupee-symbol.gif 30, while entering Himachal Pradesh for so many bad stretches of road. There was a stretch of single lane road, where our Linea crossed some trucks coming from the opposite direction by hair's width! Finally, we reached Grand View Hotel, the best hotel that we stayed in India, at 8 pm. :)

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

AmritsarDalhousieMID.jpg

More to come.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. theblack