1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Windshield Issue - Minor dots

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by ramjn, Feb 25, 2012.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Couple of days back, I was following a truck heavily loaded with construction stones. The truck guy applied the break hardly due to sudden bad patch on the road. Because of this, the overloaded stones made its way to target those behind the truck. Unfortunately, my Linea took the beating on both boot and the windshield. Fortunately, I did not find any dent due to this. But, there were few instances of paint chip-off which I think can be corrected by Com-Paint. But, the major damage was done to the windshield. I found numerous dots on the windshield. I was not sure whether it can be repaired. Today, I called the "Windshield Experts" in Chennai and explained the issue. They made it clear that only option I have is to replace the windshield. They told me it can be claimed under insurance. What options do I have guys?

- Replace the windshield? (I will end up in a loss of Rs. 7k as I have installed the CR70 sun film).
    - Or just live with it. (I will always be worried about this damage).

2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

If it doesn't effect your visibility at night live with them, if it distracts you even by 1 % have it replaced. I too have several of these dots on windscreen and a small dent on driver door thanks to rocks thrown by bigger vehicle tyres like bus and trucks.
    Things like these are unavoidable and one can't do anything to prevent them.
  3. Tron

Tron Superiore

@ramjn, its totally your call though if you ask me, i'll say keep it. If those dots are not very deep, with very less posiblity of increasing into cracks then let it be as it is.
    But try to show it to WE. I think they'll put something in those dots to fill it & regain equal surface.

And as vijay said, those big buses & trucks do give wings to stones, resulting flying stones! It happened with me too couple of times but windshield is saved. Although got some nasty dents on my beauty. :-(
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

+1 to Vijay.

If they don't cause disturbance while driving, then stick with it. Because otherwise it's a straight 7k down the drain. How does it feel during night driving?

I don't think they will be progressing to cracks.

5. May be a stupid question since I am yet to put CR70..Do we put it on outside or from inside ? Because if it is from outside may b only the sunfilm got damaged ?

6. cuty red

the film is put on the inside!
    and if you replace the windshiels the film is a loss

i would say go back to the WE they will fill it up with a solution and polish it back to the same level!
    any small swirl marks you managed to get will also be removed
    also the dots progressing into cracks will not be there
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Linea 1.3
    Thanks for the reply Guys.

I am not having any difficulty in visibility at night as such. When I checked with the WE guys, they told me that only option would be to replace the windshield. They didn't tell about any fill up solution or polish. But, I didn't take my car to them. I just enquired over phone.