1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Windows phone thread

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by ajuvignesh, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Seems like raining Lumia's in TFI. :)
    2 people like this.
  2. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here is mine :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk

wp_ss_20131128_0002.jpg
    4 people like this.
  3. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    What's that battery app?? Or is it WP Insider? If it's the later, never knew WP Insider could display battery stats in live tile!
    1 person likes this.
  4. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes. Its the insider live tile. You need to create the live tile from the app to get this. A bunch of customization is also available. :cool:
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I've switched over to Windows phone due to unforeseen reasons from Galaxy Note 2. After having had the Nokia Lumia 520 for close to 4 weeks here are my impressions

Positives
    1. Solid build - Can't compare with the flimsy Korean Samsung's I've used so far. I've been using it without a case or screen protector and it's withstanding the abuse quite nicely
    2. The in-built Nokia Apps - Nokia Drive, Nokia Here Maps and Nokia Mix Radio. Allows taking your stuff offline including maps and music. Liked the music quality output from the Nokia Mix Radio
    3. The Screen - It's crystal clear and it's not over saturating display like the Samsung.
    4. Audio quality - The primary purpose of the phone which it serves nicely. No complaints on the Samsung front as well on this.
    5. The camera is quite nice for the price I paid, Although it lacks flash the pictures come up quite okay.

Negatives
    1. The OS itself - I know I'm going to be flamed for saying this, but the Windows OS has a long way before catching up with the likes of Android and iOS. The Notifications are plainly unintuitive, there isn't a place to quickly toggle controls. It would be okay for a normal user but after coming from iOS and Android I'm not quite content with what Microsoft did
    2. Live Tiles - This is the good feature however doesn't work correctly. For eg. the way it updates, My FB live tile is still showing 2 days old data and hasn't refreshed. May be it's up to the Apps how they work but it's not quite there yet
    3. Battery Life - The 520 has tiny 1430 battery which doesn't seem to last longer, Mine last hardly a day.
    4. Quality of Apps - Most of the Applications including FB, WhatsApp, Engadget don't work like the iOS and Android counterparts. They aren't polished and lack the finesse. Also there is lack of some racing titles which I used to play both in iOS and Android which is not encouraging considering Microsoft is a big shot and should be pushing for this.

All in all it's quite a nice phone for the price I paid, but the Windows ecosystem has a long way to go before it catches up with other ecosystems. I bought this phone only because of Nokia and only wish Nokia made an android handset.
    3 people like this.
  6. autowierdo

autowierdo Amatore

Pune
    WP guys how you upload pics using tapatalk, for any thread if i click on reply window the keyboard pops up. Any other app to upload pic in forum from wp?

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ Below are the screenshots to upload pics using Tapatalk Windows.

Sent from Lumia using Tapatalk

wp_ss_20131216_0001.png

wp_ss_20131216_0002.png
  8. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The flight mode trick comes handy whenever you feel the battery is draining too fast.
    Switch on flight mode> restart the phone> switch the flight mode off.

It helped me a couple of times. :)

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 620 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. autowierdo

autowierdo Amatore

Pune
    Thanks punto_emotion i never bothered earlier to use this reply
    task. Got it now

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    At 7.5-8.5k the Nokia 520 offers a much well integrated package. I do agree with comments about apps that dont have the feel as good as iOS and Android. But Android and iOS too have their fair share of annoyances, with certain apps and features. In terms of refinement and integration (hardware and software) Apple iOS is way ahead no doubt, but in terms of versatility and hardware choice Androids beats all of them left, right and center. Microsoft-Nokia with their windows phones fit in just between these two. The OS offers some very fresh and beautiful looks, with crisp font renderings that are very legible and unique, near iOS and better in some areas. They seem to have taken design and software-hardware integration cues from apple and the result is pretty satisfactory I suppose.

What they really lack is the way navigation works through various apps and yes task switching too to a great extent which seems like a pain for now. The learning curve seems to meet it's dead ends every now and then, where one really feels it's not as easy to figure out as the iOS or Android.

The only biggest annoyance or disappointment is the wifi, bluetooth toggle switch for which one needs an app to pin to home screen.

I do have another Android alongside the Nokia 520, and really hope to see the Windows phone grow as versatile and defacto as the Android. Maybe, just for the sake of change.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    2 people like this.