1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Windows in closed position - How pertinent is this tip?

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by sine04, Mar 23, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Like I said in a previous reply. We don't know in precise terms since we are limited by true lab data. For the sake of discussion, wind tunnel testing was done on cars (maybe for race optimisations), but you will find that the extreme technologies find their way in small and big way to improve the overall performance of passenger cars. Just FE for example is not the only criteria here. However it is important to save or optimise every drop per km or gain efficiency in terms of distance convered for ecological and economical reasons.

There is a lot going on with any machinery that is not seen or maybe not felt in a pronounced way to the naked eye. However, those things are very much there. I have always liked the fact that Fiat has managed to impart aerodynamic solutions in their cars. In fact a low drag coefficient vehicle is always praiseworthy for a passenger vehicle.

I beg to differ here once again. There is a reason why modern cars are being designed more with racer /supercar technologies. We may not have racetracks or Autobahns, but we have people frequently doing 110-120 on highways with their Lineas and Puntos.
    At that speed it matters a lot and as naruf rightly mentions,
    which is a very true statement, a statement that has good amount or scientific and technical backing.

I am sorry I failed to understand the humour about White Papers though. Lets please try to avoid downplaying something that is technically right and relevant.

Incase you still wonder how important it is please read the link below.
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/aerodynamics2.htm
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    We have technical things,but all of those fits into our environment ? i was trying to be practical and the way we use of our machines in daily life.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    This technical thing does fit all environments where a car needs to cut through air, that too in a very practical manner, since as stated earlier many cars do 100-120kmph on certain highways. If you think it isn't practically considered even for argument sake, then let's leave it at that, no offense meant, none taken..!

Practically how much a city commuter makes use of it in bumper to bumper traffic, that can be a point there as far as rolling-up windows is concerned.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cut through Air:- We already have aerodynamic shape
    .i too do 110-120kmph consistently and i drive more on highways than city.For city i prefer my bike.Lets start a discussion about cruise control here :D .Just kidding.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Considering having driven an OMNI in 90s at that speeds, there were times you could feel the speed is too high, ofcourse for whole lot of technological difference and a shape that allows Linea or Punto cut through the air..you see :lol:. Now that explains why this thing feels important from my viewpoint. :)
    1 person likes this.