1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Window explosion

Discussion in 'Technical' started by ashtek, Sep 9, 2015.

1. ashtek

ashtek Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When I was driving home today I heard a bang from rear seat and when I turned back I saw that the rear left window was completely shattered with a big hole in the center. Lot of glass pieces were lying on the rear seat. Luckily no one was sitting in the rear seat.
    Any idea what could have caused this? Has anyone experienced/heard about glass exploding on its own?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 9, 2015 ---
    Pic attached
    [​IMG]
    http://www.teamfiat.com/gallery/photos/588/
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Did you check for any stone inside? If there wasn't anyone around and vehicle was in motion, someone might have thrown a stone at your car! The glass is tough and fitted properly and would not break if a tree-branch hits it, if you went though some tight space on a narrow road. I am sure these logical possibilities you must have considered.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @ashtek

The glass must have shattered due to a flying stone either from other vehicle or some one threw the stone. Looking at the damage, it seems the object which hit the glass must have been sizeable and cannot be a small pebble from passing vehicles. If the glass were to shatter on its own then it would have started with a crack and then shattered.

Are the glass supposed to be shatter proof??
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    i have seen in my office too, a nice 4mm thickness glass of 10x6 got a break in the similar fashion,like spider web.its very hard to judge if it's due to stone or due to environmental conditions.
  5. SanketGajane

SanketGajane Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    The pattern in which the glass shattered most probably some object hitting it in centre. Look at the pieces at the centre and the crack marks radial inward toward centre.

When did this happen? Bangalore, what time? Have heard cases of robbery in Bangalore(Outer ring road) where they throw stones at windows.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 10, 2015 ---
    Here are some patterns and reasons for tempered glass shatter Untitled.png
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    prabhjot and Saket Sidana like this.