1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Wind noise in Cabin

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by bhai, Jun 16, 2011.

1. shams

shams Esperto

How much would it cost to get the following done with Dampmat:
    1. Front two doors damped
    2. All four doors damped?
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Did you do the damping to A,B and C pillars? they are noticeable source for outside noise, from pictures i couldn't make out.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  3. Desigan

All pillars are also damped. unfortunately I did not get the snap of it. for damping all four doors, it needs 7 sheet (4 for front doors and 3 for rear doors) of Dampmat. I have damped Roof / Floor / Boot / Pillars & front doors alone. Totally it took 2 full pack and 3 additional sheets to complete this work.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mohankv

Mohankv Amatore

Neat work done!! i read that each sheet weighs approx. 1kg, Do u feel the heaviness since you have used 2+ packs of the material ? M asking cos i had got my doors and boot panel dampened recently n my doors are twice as heavy than before i got the dampening done.. So i an imagine how much weight u have added by dampening the whole car.
  5. Guite

I took a test drive of the old Linea today from Mahamaya flyover to Pari Chowk and back, a total of about 48 km. At 80kmph there was no wind noise. There was minimal wind noise at some stretches, probably due to cross wind and curve of the expressway. At 90kmph there was some wind noise but not exceedingly so. In fact engine noise was more at that speed.

I had test driven this same car last year and it had prominent wind noise at even 70kmph. The service people obviouslt did something to reduce this wind noise. The sales guy who accompanied me could not say what exactly was done. I have also test driven the new Linea and it has this same problem.

What we noticed was that even with door shut the Linea has a gap between door and car frame: the rubber bead is recessed by about 6mm. We compared with a Figo and Wagon R parked nearby: in both cases the door bead is flushed with metal on both sides. So I told the sales person to discuss this with the technical people and see whether this gap can be filled.

Existing owners with wind noise problem may like to try filling this gap and experimenting.
  6. arunfbtr

arunfbtr Timido

if the air entry noise is quite common in all fiat, then y not fiat recall all such cars and rectify the problems???
  7. joyal

joyal Timido

Greater Noida
    Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The ORVM's in Punto and Linea are very light in weight and the casing feel quite fragile. It is mostly due to the wind draft over these ORVM stalks and casing this wind noise is generated. The ORVM's of Swift, i20 and Polo are comparatively heavy and feel rigid. The wind noise is the first thing I noticed in my Punto Sport when I exceeded speeds over 90-100 kmph. Other than this, Punto feels like a ship in its class. Silent and smooth. :)
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats quite a lot of damping. Thanks for sharing those pice. Indeed the workmanship looks nice. I have 3 Questions for you

1. How many boxes of dampmat was used in this project ?
    2. How much reduciton in wind noise over 80 km/hr speed ?
    3. Any reduction in engine noise inside cabin ?
  9. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Each door in the front would take 2 sheets for Outer panel and Inner panel. If you want to do the inside of the door plastic then that will be around .75 sheet

Each door in the rear would take 1.5 sheets for Outer panel and Inner panel. If you want to do the inside of the door plastic then that will be around .60 sheet

Now you can do that math on the cost depending on the per sheet charge that an installer in your city would be charging.
  10. Ashok James

Ashok James Novizio

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    In my punto 90hp. nowadays i feel heavy outside air noise. i there any possible way to arrest these air noise.