1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Win 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by kaps, Mar 2, 2012.

1. kaps

kaps Superiore

I have been really excited by the reviews thus far about scalability of Win 8. The news that it will run from servers to tablets had caught my imagination as a one stop solution and a break from existing scenario. So I took the plunge when the customer preview was launched.

I had to make sure that I did not lose my existing functionality so a dual boot was the only option with my existing Win 7 ultimate x86 machine. Good news was that people had successfully done a dual boot installation. So did a bit of reading and did the disk re-partitioning to create space for win 8. Downloaded the consumer preview .iso and went ahead with the installation.

After installation, first impression was good on seeing the famed 'metro style' interface. Then I hit a roadblock. Where are usual buttons and bars you see in win 7? Bit of trial and lots of mistakes finally got me into the grove and was able to do minimal work as I was in hurry. Looking for shut down and I was flummoxed again. No "start" button to chose anything.

After a short experience all I can say is that it is going to change the way people use computers, yet again, and will have a rather steep learning curve for people used to tinkering beneath the hood.

If anybody is interested, I can post the complete process for dual boot selection.
    3 people like this.
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Nice review Nuts'n'Bolts. ;)

So you think its worth upgrading to Windows 8 from 7?

More importantly, how is the performance on the same machine as compared to Windows 7? e.g. Windows 7 offers better performance as compared to Vista on same machine.
  3. Srini

Srini Regolare

Yashik. Wait. it is only in its Beta testing. Wait until it is released.
  4. omzworld

Hey Kaps, plz provide the steps for dual boot process.
    WOuld love to give it a shot.
  5. kaps

kaps Superiore

Yashik what has essentially changed from win 7 is the shell. The metro UI is a nice concept but how will it evolve with apps and other third party software is yet to be seen. I will try and install third party software to test the functionality, but with bare bones installation, it is quite comparable with win 7 even though it is not a final version. Min requirements for desktop are a 1 GHz processor with 2 GB RAM which I guess is even lower than most entry level machines. For full blown performance, I will comment only after i bring it to same state as my existing software installation.

Srini, it is not beta anymore but consumer preview. Download alongwith activation key is available on the MS site for everyone, unlike beta which is for developers.

Sure here goes:

1. First ensure that the HDD you are going to use for install has atleast 20 GB space free ( if using same HDD as existing installation). If you are using a separate HDD, same consideration is applicable.

2. In the search bar (after pressing start button), type disk management. Open it by clicking.

3. Disk management will offer a view of all available drives and partitions.

4. Select the drive you want to use for resizing the partition.

5. Right click and select shrink. Resulting window will show you the option about how much you can shrink. This process can take a while as the program queries the disks.

6. Select the size for shrinking, file system type (select NTFS), check the quick format button and select OK. Let the program decide the drive letter and give a volume label that you can easily identify, e.g. Win 8. Shrinking process will begin. Don't open any other programs when this is going on.

7. Management tool will show the new partition after it finishes.

8. I assume you have downloaded the .iso. You will need a tool like UltraISO or Magic ISO to extract the files from .iso. After extraction, copy the extracted files folder to the new partition.

9. This step is important In the extracted folder, navigate to sources folder and run setup from there and not the setup.exe available in the main folder. Setup will commence. The routine is like win7 setup. Computer will reboot a couple of times and on restarting, you will see the screen showing options which OS to select.

10. End of setup is interesting and self explanatory where you get to set the user name. For people who have a MSN account, you can log in with windows live ID and sky drive becomes available instantly. If you don't have a live id, you can create a user name and password.

11. Boot into metro style and start exploring.

12. Bottom left lower edge of screen shows the thumbnail of metro UI and Top left edge shows thumbnails of what all is open. You can switch between metro UI and normal desktop interface.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any queries.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

I think it would change the way we use touch screen PCs & tabs. Someone used to with Windows 7 would find it bit difficult with the new interface. Even though it is a consumer preview I dont think this in an RTM version .
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

The experience is getting better everyday as I get to understand the innards. I think it is essentially a windows phone 7 overlaid on to win 7 core. The experience of live tiles is great. Downloaded some apps from windows store (there aren't many apps presently) and had fun playing few games that I have enjoyed on my galaxy tab so far. Thinking in future, if one has a win 8 tablet, it is going to bring in truly seem-less computing and productivity experience.

Sky drive is a great thing and I have already uploaded some 10GB worth of snaps I have on my PC. A step towards cloud storage?

Best thing I like is if you panic inside the metro UI, you can switch to usual desktop. The ribbon (as seen office 2007 onwards) becomes all pervasive and offers some neat features in explorer shell. The consumer preview is expected to expire in Jan 13 and till then I think this OS is going to be a much worthy replacement for win7.
  8. lilmonk

lilmonk Timido

Is it Jan 13? In the activation window it shows expires on March 14th!!
    Did anybody find new and working activators for Dev peview?
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Watermark removers are available but no activators as it is only consumer preview. I guess RC stage will bring in activators.
  10. kaps

kaps Superiore

Consumer preview has now been upgraded to release preview. Other than Store, which I found was useless in consumer preview, there aren't many significant changes in the release preview. The way store is now organised is much better, lack of apps is an eyesore though. Hopefully, there will be many more of them available on actual launch. The way apps work on tiles is superb, particularly the skydrive. I keep getting convinced that my next big spend will be on a win 8 tablet. No more looking at android and ios as alternatives.