1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will you go for ground clearence upgrade if Fiat offer it as a kit?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sungoa2010, Jan 29, 2012.

Will you opt for Ground clearence upgrade if it is available at TASS?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
  2. No

75 vote(s)
  1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

what are we upgrading? we are supposed to go to workshop buy the parts at mrp, pay a hefty labor and just get them installed on our cars.

there is no special design involved thats done on these kits to fit old cars.

its as simple as buying a new designed air filter , or say new grade engine oil or say a new bulb.

Upgrade kit for old customers definition : " A specially designed kit for old customers, with specific stock, with specific pricing"

here its a newly designed part, selling at MRP and is a common part that can be fitted directly on old/new car after paying a hefty labor charge too.

Fiat is obviously not obliged to provide any upgrade and technically they arent. they are just trying to make this propoganda and selling parts at mrp and making profits, nothing else.

just consider that they have not declared anywhere that its an upgrade !!

What would a customer do? just walk into the TASS tell them my old suspensions need to be changed and pay the MRP + labor and get it on your car.

we do this for many things during service. so whats different here? just a brainwash to think differently?
  2. bharathi4747

bharathi4747 Timido

sure I will go for it..
  3. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    Linea T-Jet
    I am not going for an upgrade....somehow does not make sense.... I have driven my car for over last one year without hitting any bump... if I have to buy parts...yes they are just parts and not the upgrade kit....I will wait for my existing suspension to live its life.....and then replace it with a fresh set of SAs..

Dikhavoo pe na jao...apni akal lagao.....
    1 person likes this.
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

voted NO.

On 20th January, I drove my car on a worst possible road in India. A road on which no cycle, bike, bus etc was found for 50 kms. Even I could not manage to see a dog. I managed to cross this road perfectly and I can say that, a lot depends on how you drive the car.

BTW, anybody aware of Meerut to Karnal straight road Via Samli?
  5. abhinav

abhinav Novizio

Voted NO. because no faith with TASS if they would be able to do a good job. Had a bad experience with them when AC kit was replaced/upgraded, lived with excessive leaking coolant and had to visit TASS 3-4 times in Hyderabad/Mumbai before they could reduce it to "normal".

Would instead pamper my Punto with nice accessories and drive her carefully on rough patches.
  6. bna

bna Novizio

Voted NO.
    Love the way my car handles now. Would not want to take a risk. Have been driving it for a year without hitting any bump.
  7. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

If you can manage to drive your Linea in bangalore, you can drive it anywhere in India! :D I've seen Xylo scraping! lolz!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2012
    2 people like this.
  8. jiji

jiji Amatore

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India, India
    Grande Punto 1.3
    voted NO,
    A simple reason; the new 2012 Punto from my point of view is a bad looker with gaping wheel arches, technically more ground clearance means more center of gravity thus more body roll, handling will be like a mini cross over. The attraction of Punto is it 's corner craving ability other than any hatch or even some sedan and Fiat India made a bad decision by making the GC a mediocre 195mm. I am happy with my 2009 GP one of the first off the lot and kissing the speed breaker and pothole issues, if you own a Ferrari will you make it's GC higher just cos you are scraping the ground?! With ultimate driving pleasure and class leading handling some things have to give and I am happy about it.
  9. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

But how many of us have actually tested the extreme cornering capability of our punto /linea . For our regular use, I am sure this kit is not going to make any difference in the feel we get while cornering . This has also been confirmed by some of our members who took test drive of the new 2012 models .

The current weight of the car with the wheelbase is not going to do much harm as we think with the increased GC. Even FIAT would have done a good R & D on this before coming up with this kit as even they also would not want another set of criticism to arise in the name of increased GC.

But again I would suggest this upgrade to only those who are having regular underbody scraping issues. There would be a 5-10 % compromise (My personal view) in the ride & handling quality if you increase the GC & I bet it wont be felt in your regular day to day drives. So please plan accordingly to your need.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  10. Joseph

Joseph Novizio

Kulathunkal Motors quoted Rs. 8000 for upgrading suspensions to increase ground clearance. Confused as to go for it or not.