1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will you go for ground clearence upgrade if Fiat offer it as a kit?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sungoa2010, Jan 29, 2012.

?

Will you opt for Ground clearence upgrade if it is available at TASS?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    46.4%
  2. No

75 vote(s)
    53.6%
  1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Free Upgrade? This is too much to expect. If there is any manufacturing defect, then free replacement is fair. But, not for this. I would appreciate Fiat for bringing this upgrade kit available to existing owners without affecting the warranty. I haven't seen any other manufacturer done this when they launch a refreshed version of their cars. Again, this upgrade itself is optional. We can stay away from it if we don't like it. But, criticizing Fiat is not fair.

What if there was no Upgrade Kit offered from Fiat? No discussions would have happened :).
    2 people like this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    you are right. they heard the customers and upgraded on new versions- very well i have appreciated it.

now giving the kit to old customers who are suffering from low ground clearance - very well appreciate it.

Giving them at MRP- not appreciated. the profit margins on spare parts are high with markups.

Even if you go to outside shops who sell genuine parts you get a straight away 10-15% off. So even with this 10-15% off the shopkeeper gains profit obviously. this price he gets is after fiat eating up profit + octroi + storing charges+ transportation+ various challans etc.

Fiat can straight away cut off these prices as warranty parts.

now fiat wants to do good things to old customers right? then they should forget profit playing route in this design correction act of their and not charge MRP.

and labor Rs.1500 is clear loot. a outside service station charges this kind of labor for taking out the engine and installing it back.

secondly as i said this mere 1.2cm increase is practically not going to help.

the price of kit should have been truly 35% less.
    2 people like this.
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I expected 4k-6k as said by Italia linea above.
    Once I was shocked to read 12k for same somewhere else.
    1.2cm may or may not help considering it is not the GC which is creating so much of fuss but the nose which has too much hang to forward.

to make it clear, did anybody ever faced a situation where punto's middle body /belly section getting rubbed ? I never .
  4. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Absolutely. It's always the engine guard or the front lower bumper, and very rarely the silencer tip, when on speed breakers with full load (around 180 kg in rear seats).
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Italia-Linea the GC is increased by 2.4 cm not by 1.2 cm. The GC is same in all variants now even with 16" alloys.
    If you see Linea 2012 and old car side by side there is a lot of increase in height. The total height (roof to roof) of the car have been increased by approx 2 inch which is a lot in case of Linea.
    Punto and Linea T-Jet had appropriate GC its the Linea MJD which used to scrap even underground parking ramps with 5 people on board.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have a 1.4 E Punto and the current GC is 173 mm. From the FIAT advts and FB postings, I understand that after upgrade this will be 185mm. The difference is 12mm, i.e, 1.2cm. These figures might be different for Linea.
  7. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Bhai, I suggest you should seriously consider something else than CAR. I'm 200% sure your luck is really BAD while buying car. You always get bad piece!!!
    2 people like this.
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
    if you have 15" rims the case is different.
    Secondly all new cars look bigger on height as the springs are new and have not lost any tension. as it becomes old in 1-2 months they level down.

the MJD engine guard is very low owing the intercooler piping components below. if you have observed carefully no other part on the car touches the road.

this is coupled with pitching due to overhanging nose. this oscillation multiplies with more load.

so 1.2 cms or 2 cms is not going to help you much practically on the MJD.

TJET had 16" alloys with different profile tyres.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Italia-Linea even Dynamic and Active versions with 15" rims have 185mm GC same as Emotion with 16" alloys according to Fiat Website
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    how do you think this has been done? do you think suspensions on both are different?