1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will Renault Kwid shake up the entry level segment

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Mabams1826, May 28, 2015.

1. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    @Raj_pol: Yes I did have the test drive... The startup of the car is bit noisy and not as smooth as Punto.. (Considering 800cc and 3 cylinder)
    The vehicle feels very light and the accleration is good enough for the engine power. However, would prefer this as a city car, rather than a highway vehicle.
  2. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    With bookings crossing 50k mark in less than two months, Kwid has caught Alto by the scruff of its neck and if Maruthi is worried, they are not showing it.
    Hope Kwid doesn't go the Nano way.
    But, I think we have great and versatile platform with Kwid, the road presence for a small hatchback is clearly head and shoulders above the rest.
    In fact Renault can bring out fully blown small 4×4 based on Kwid with heavy sheet metal, bigger tires and engine and Abs and airbag, a la Panda and still keep the on road price around 8 lac and create a new segment.
    Tornado likes this.
  3. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Pramod N Great, we do need some competition to Maruti. Hyundai has done that with the Elite i20 and Kwid hopefully will do that with the Kwid.
    @Mabams1826 If the Kwid turns out too be reasonably successful, Renault might think of experimenting.
  4. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Today I saw Kwid very first time in my town. It looks like a tin can. God knows, when will this Indian Gov't woke up to secure its people by making some safety standards.
    Murphy_Fiat and prabhjot like this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Yeah it looks like the tinny dinky-car it is: the photographs of its Renault Kadjar styling do flatter it.

Mefeels the Nano is still the best of the a-segment city cars, for build, feature list, design, space, economy and styling/uniqueness. Pretty reliable, pretty service-able, a lot of qualities for the money.

Also, the Datsun Go is really good, skinny tyres apart. Apparently, Renault-Nissan is not done with the India-as-frugal-engineering-centre for cut-price 'third world special' cars: Datsun Go Cross +Datsun Redigo coming up, and so one. It is an innovative and committed strategy, and a pretty brave very long-term one too, albeit inappropriate for others like Fiat or Ford or Chevy to emulate.
    Raaz likes this.
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @Raaz The government has nothing to do with the same. It is economics - there is a demand for the same and so manufacturers make it. Once (if) the market matures people will be looking at other features including build quality, safety etc. That is not going to happen for the next 50 years and so till then Renault is justified in it's strategy.

@prabhjot You got to be kidding me. Did you see the NCAP video of the Tata Nano crumbling. The Nano is the worst most shittiest piece of vehicle ever made on this planet. Tata should be fined for creating such an abomination and in what features are you saying that it is better than the Kwid :eek:
    :stop::spitoutdummy:
  7. Raaz

Raaz Amatore

Andhra Pradesh
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    If Gov't makes strict policies regarding build quality and other basic safety features, It surely helps to avoid this kind of shitty cars in the market. However, iam optimistic about these rules atleast from 2017.
  8. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

In our country an innovative, and INDIAN-engineered, beautifully designed, well-priced and feature loaded a-segment car, the Nano, that, if I am not wrong from personal experiences, has better build quality than the Alto, the Eon, the WagonR or the lighter-than-Nano KWID has barely sold while these other equally or rather, arguably, on many parameters, even more compromised cars have sold in the tens of thousands.

Ah well, so much for the wisdom of our market: instead of patronising an innovative national 'first, inexpensive family city car', an Indian equivalent to the 500 or Mini or the Ciroen CV2 (in the 50's and 60's of postwar europe), we are buying cars of little if any greater qualitites or honesty, the safety rating of the Alto, Eon, Kwid, Datsun Go etc would be.....as ZERO as the Nano's, no? Skinny low grip tyres, hopelessly vague steerings, noisy choppy suspensions and engines, vague and weak braking, and rattle-and-shake chassis....zindabad! On many such parameters the Nano is less guilty, certainly than the maruti and the hyundai, though surely not the GO. As for the KWID, am sure it rides better, but it IS very much the same sort of tin-flake dinky-car as these others, in the end.

IMO all such 'third world' wannabe-vehicles should be killed off by stiff taxation and, especially, stiff safety and engineering+emissions regulations. Their prospective buyers should instead be encouraged to buy the good and ever-improving bikes and scooters, and also encouraged to hire uber or ola cabs/Bolero-s/Sumo-s, tavera-s etc if they intend to and need to travel en masse. Or take buses and/or the metro, volvo-s etc. Of course others should be so incentivised too (higher road, parking, fuel and congestion taxes...are general 'good policies'.

That way the bike and scooter brands will thrive further with better-quality engineering-offerings, as will the car firms who will be forced to focus on designing and building well-engineered stuff, thereby also enabling their export competitiveness, the cabdrivers and bus companies will do better, city governments and publics will benefit from lower congestion, less foul air, and PROPER automotive experiences+aesthetics+engineering NOT this 'lipsticked tin box on wheels with touchscreen' crap that dominates, from the Nano and Alto at one end to many/most of the models all the way upto the c2 segment.
    asimpleson likes this.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot, going further deep in philosophy won't you agree Bus Rapid Transport or Trams or smart designed cities and infrastructure de congestion policies etc. are needed more than making politically courageous, deemed egregious decisions like punitive tax policies etc. ;)

The metro projects too are flop and hyper expensive, non-scalable, non-modular tax burdens and nothing more IMO. Moreso, in Mumbai and similar cities.
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot Sir,sometimes I really do not understand you. Of all the cars that you mention, the skinniest tires, the least powerful engines and the car that ages the fastest is the Nano. I have seen Alto's from 1989 (actually a kid I know has one purchased one for 49 K in Bangalore). How do you compare junk like the Nano with a Citroen is beyond my comprehension? Of course I do not expect a Kwid to succeed in a safety test but for that price, it is infinitely better than a Nano.

Personal preferences do not come into the play here - most Nano owners agree that this car ages like no other.