1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will Renault Kwid shake up the entry level segment

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Mabams1826, May 28, 2015.

1. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    [QUOTE="
    BTW what does Kwid means? :)[/QUOTE]

KWID means "I am a KID but not exactly if you see my proportions"Its wide. Hence the W in between:))

Abdul
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Very literally in line with Renault's new design language for SUV-s: the Captur and the Kadgar (nissan Qashqai/Rogue twin), and apparently a future similarlooking even bigger one (new Nissan XTrail twin).

Not Duster-looking at all, which is not Renault, but Dacia.

A Duster-looking Kwid wouldn't have looked as good as this one, given the small size, IMO.

Next: we'll surely see Eon/i10Grand 'Active'-s and Celerio 'Cross'-es with beefy cladding etc in response to this car!:facepalm:
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  3. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If you see the specs, It weight lesser than an alto 800 and even nano !! It will take people along with the storm !!
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    The Renault Kwid had crossed 25 K bookings within a matter of few weeks of it's launching. The car has as of now a lot going for it. It has a fresh design, makes the Alto look like it is from the stone age, has better mileage (that is important) and actually decent city ride quality based on reviews.

Of course we cannot expect NCAP level safety or equipments but then when your competitors are the Nano, Alto and the Eon then that is not necessary.

Now if the Renault showrooms are able to provide adequate service, not too long waiting periods and the word spreads that the car is good, they may have a winner in their hands and may seriously dent Maruti's monopoly in that segment. Still a long way to go and I am waiting and observing.

If the experiment succeeds @prabhjot then my sense would be correct that the Europeans can make a dent if they really want to. If it fails you are probably right and they should stick to the more expensive stuff.
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

Great post, great discussion point.

Can the Europeans succeed as Europeans (in engineering and design) rather than as canny makers of good, first-mover 'third world specials' like the Kwid: that's the real question. And success means profits, and entrenched sustainable brand-trust and -pull.

Renault-Nissan have been trying the 'third world special' approach now in India for years, with several models, and are sitting on accumulated losses of thousands of crores from non-export operations. Will they make much money at all from the KWID, net of their cost-of-capital, given its pricing: extremely doubtful.

But yeah surely the numbers of former KWID owners who MAY, if Renault's dealers and ASS proves ok, in future upgrade to other, more sophisticated but expensive models will perhaps, only perhaps, yield longer-term health for Renault in India.

While all the European mass market brands face huge brand-trust problems, FIAT's problems in this respect are pretty extreme and exceptional, precisely because FIAT was and has been in India for several decades longer than any of them, and so the sorts of approaches that say Ford has tried with one-hit-model at a time (Figo then Ecosport then...?) or Renault (not launching any Renault-s at all, not even diluted, but Romanian Dacia-s) or VW (launching awfully diluted Polo-s and Vento-s while deploying boastful ads about German engineering, Das Auto etc) are not appropriate for them.

For eg., a Fiat branded KWID could hardly be expected to sell: Fiat had and lost its 'Kwid' moment with the 100000plus waiting list for the great, original premium hatchback in India, the Uno.

Remember that sales numbers have little correlation in India with profitability, esp not for the European brands: Ford, Renault-Nissan, VW, Chevy and Skoda are all massively loss-making and have been continuously pretty much. Not so with with Fiat/FCA in India over the last several years, if i am not wrong?

What makes Renult-Nissan's try with this 'emerging market special model' and then with that and then yet another plausible, at least, are the huge exports by them out of Chennai. If FIAT can find models that are exportable out-of-India, given their available capacities in Turkey, Serbia, Brazil, Poland and soon China too.....that is the key, imo, to their Indian prospects (gati or durgati?!! ;))
    adisrini1103 likes this.
  6. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    However, I just booked the Renault KWID for my wife... :) Expecting the delivery by Jan 16
    punto_emotion and prabhjot like this.
  7. Pramod N

Pramod N Amatore

Bangalore
    Booked a KWID for my wife... Expecting the delivery in the month of Jan 2016
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 17, 2015 ---
    Hahaha..., Very well said... Hope its not true.. But looking at the numbers... :bookworm:
  8. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot In fact I had the UNO incident in mind and that is why I am curious as to how well will Renault handle the demand? Considering the recent VW incident, I would say given an opportunity every car maker in the world would sell tin cans and make money.

In India, for a very long time I would expect to see tin cans - even more so with more eligible young people buying cars now. What Fiat can do in the Punto segment if they are interested is install air bags in all versions for now - tom tom about their safety and then bring radically different looking versions very quickly. Looks always count more so in India and like a mobile phone has to keep changing every few years if they are to do well.

Forgive my OT.

p.s. On a short trip to Europe, I had the good fortune of seeing all the Fiat models. One of the issues I foresee and I had mentioned the same before is a lot of their budget cars have these rounded cutesy faces which I can well never buy. So a 500 L in my opinion is a strict no-no but a 500 X would be much better (only in looks). I did see the Panda and I did not like the look. Will post some pics - was there in the BMW museum too. Loved the Megane and Clio though - seriously beautiful cars. As far as bikes nothing beats a Ducati - ah so sexy almost like a dream.

@Pramod N Did you do a test ride? How was the initial feel? Congratulations between and do write a review once you have the vehicle.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @Raj_pol , I fully agree with you regarding the looks of the 500 series of Fiats. I feel Fiat should have exited that roundish retro looking front face with the 500 mini. They shouldn't have carried on that styling for the higher versions. Looks like they got stuck in that design which in itself wasn't inspiring in the first place. If I am to upgrade and if that is the style Fiat has in its next car in India, I certainly would look at another brand. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a car style that I didn't like in the first place. Th Panda look has been mad e to common place by the Maruti Wagon R. So actually nothing stylishly exciting for the future from the Fiat stable apart from the Agea at the moment

Abdul
  10. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    What are you guys saying. Round, or in the Panda's case 'squircle', retro lights at 3 levels are great and these days pretty unique....like a Vespa, like a Ducati Scrambler, an RE....or indeed most JEEPs historically?

The 500 retrochic stuff is lost on Indians, it is true, since we prefer the overtly ...er...'manly'...and er...'futuristic'...

which is why we will be getting cars from the other 'rational, functional, IKEA-like' part of their future range (Aegea? New Avventura?...).

In any case do remember that under Marchionne's policy FIAT has greatly downsized its model offerings (not counting their popular vans and mpv-s: doblo etc) in Europe to just the Panda, the 500, the 500L and now 500X, with the Punto carrying on but in fadeout mode now. This was a deliberate attempt to (a) valorize and premiumize and aspirationalize the brand in Europe by playing up its Italian retrochic historic character (b) not lose mony like the others during the long european car recession, which is now over and so we'll or rather Europe will be seeing the Aegea X 3 which have very different, brilliant but more generic, subtler styling.

Still, one does hope the 500X (in a cheaper avatar) or at least the hyper-space-efficient 500L Trekking makes it here, perhaps by 2018: the car's chic and retro and modern and sporty and authentic ...just singular and characterful in its segment, both in Europe and here obviously. Same is true for that other round-light one: the JEEP Renegade. They're also adding another roundlighted one: the sure to be hot as hell 124 Spider t-jet: let's hope that car is brought here too at least as a cbu, if not ckd-with-indian-made t-jet engine, even if at 25 lakhs plus?
    shanvimal likes this.