1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will Punto spares do the Palio/Uno way after it is discontinued?

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by naveen0808, Dec 3, 2012.

1. :) I dont know why some guys are pouncing on me for asking a simple question, to the extent of not asking me to buy a Fiat. Drawing an analogy, Apple may have reinvented the smartphone, so does that mean people should be blind to the mapgate ?. And people who talk about it should not buy the iphone:). Hope this forum sees both sides of the coin, so that more Fiat owners are created rather than dont talk about issues :(

I am from Bangalore and have test driven Punto 90hp from prerana and liked it compared to other hatches , thats why am here.I have postponed my purchase a bit because of something in my career.

The reason behind me asking this question is many of the previous Fiat owners in other forums have mentioned that they did not buy a Fiat again because of the spares issue faced earlier. Another thing is so far, Fiat completely stops selling a model when a new one is introduced.

Good to see some of the brave hearts here who has bought Fiat again.So the message I guess is, if you love driving a Fiat dont think about the future, see it when it comes, you will find a way.

Thanks for the guys who posted encouraging and sensible replies.
    1 person likes this.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Nobody pounced on you, We are just warning you that if you've any apprehensions don't buy the product. Later you may regret that in spite of people warning me I got this product. We're hoping that you'll take an informed decision rather than word of mouth or hear-say.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    That should be the way. Only maruti can do the other ways by selling Killing cars;) like omni even today. Only think is that they should do service to old model. Fiat had announced recently that they will give support to Palio. Nothing to worry in that direction. Current Punto and Linea will definitely get service even if they come with new model.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  4. Thats great to hear mate, Cheers. If they have told they will give support to palio , that means their attitude is changing, just great. Time to Buy a fiat. :rolleyes:

Hello teky,

Dont try to justify " the dont buy Fiat Stuff" . To give you a taste of it , lets say Tomorrow you write to fiat regarding a problem TASS cannot Solve, and Lets say the reply from Fiat India is " You should have bought a fiat only if you love. Dont Find faults now, love is blind. If you dont like your car sell it to somebody. If you are finding faults it means you dont know what Fiat is". Would you appreciate this kind of response ? if you appreciate i have nothing further to say.

Remember Well, the question I asked is definitely what many prospective Fiat buyers are asking and gonna continue asking. My wish is that this thread should help them, rather than " Dont Buy Fiat attitude". I also Know Love Mate, but sometimes you have your concerns and apprehensions, espically when you have to wait.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Naveen, your concerns are very much relevant and this is one of the reasons people don't buy Fiat cars.
    There are truths in your concerns, there are cases where parts have been delivered quite late, but it gets delivered. And also its true that there so many people who doesn't have Fiat will tell you some imaginary stories.

Now what teky meant, by suggesting not to buy, because suppose something similar happens to you, it will certainly frustrate you, though it might happen with any manufacturer's car, but here you might think differently.
    If same case happens with other cars, like Maruti or Hyundai, one may feel "it happens".
    I hope you understand that buying anything with lots of apprehension might create negative thinking afterwards.

Having said that, with current Fiat cars, there is no issues with parts. You are from Bangalore, there is no part issue at-all.
    If you read current ownership reports, you will not see any major issues with parts anywhere.

There is no news/ plan to discontinue current line-up, they will add more cars in coming years.

If you liked the drive, buy it, you will enjoy it.
    3 people like this.
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Hypothetical situation, but do you think Fiat will respond like this? I'm not justifying my post yet again, but I'm re-iterating the fact that there are issues around spares for few folks and you need to be aware of it.

The forum has answer to it and numerous ownership reviews only point out the fact that anything about Fiat is blown out of proportion.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Any small spare issue with Fiat is discussed everywhere whereas the same with other manufacturers goes unnoticed most of the times! We have all the visibility because we have active forums dedicated to Fiat like this one! Atleast I am not aware of any similar forum for any other manufacturer! There has to be some reason behind this! think about it!

Giving an example, some 3-4 months back, one day my friend who has a wagon-r noticed that petrol was leaking under his car. we took it to a local garage who confirmed after checking that a rubber hose pipe has got a hole and it needs to be replaced. he said he can buy the part from a maruti spare shop and replace it but since it was a local garage and we didn't want to leave the car there we thought of taking it to a nearby SC near kamanahalli. My friend was getting late for office and I was free that day so I took the car to a Maruti SC. On reaching there at around 12:30 after checking they told that the part is not available so please leave the car. they will get the part next day and fix it. I requested them to get the part on the same day but they said it was late. I took the address of the genuine spare part shop which was in frazer town, went home by bus leaving the car there, picked my punto and went to the spare shop to buy the part. After reaching there i was told that part was not available here also and i would have to check in their other outlet in ramamurthynagar (some 10 kms)! i asked them to confirm if it was available there which they did! After this i drove to the other shop, bought the part which costed some 1127 Rs (they didn't accept card so i had to go and withdraw cash ). Gave the part to the SC and asked them to drop the car once its ready!

All this when this was an exposed part which could be damaged with a slight underbody hit or even by a rat.

My point is issues like these happen frequently with other brands also but most of the times its not discussed and goes unnoticed! One reason is most of the owners don't care much as for them car is just a means of communication to reach from point A to B.
    6 people like this.
  8. Anybody who has owned a car would know that, all spares are not going to be available all the time. But I have hardly seen anyone mentioning that i am not going to buy any more cars from this manufaturer because of my bad expereience with spares. I have seen some comments like this in the forums and that prompted this thread.

You put it very well, Ravi, looking it from all the angles. Your reply puts all my queries to rest. Going to book the beauty ASA things get Settled. Cheers, mate
    2 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    What I think is the problem with Fiats in India is

1. Fiats are more mile crunchers than any other cars. The usage is more so wear and tear will be more.
    2. Most of the people take Fiats above the average performance
    3. Fiats are cornered at high speed than any other vehicle because they do it excellently
    4. Fiatians are more sensitive about their cars and they expect lot from their cars. They are too sensitive about a small deviation from the normal behavior of cars
    5. If every one is beating let me also join attitude of people. Fiats are more criticized by those who doesn't know what it is

What I told is an average behavior. It may differ if one take any specific cases.

Their cars are as reliable and as any other cars. Their parts availability is as like any other car in the market. The only place where they differ considerably is in safety. They are way ahead than others in that departments. Even if small niggles appear they are rectifiable.

Naveen you please go ahead with your plan:)
    5 people like this.
  10. :evilsmile

I understood what you mean , When I test drove Punto 90hp.:evilsmile
    1 person likes this.