1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will Linea Diesel Succeed even with the 1.6 MJet ??

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by cyberdoctorind, May 4, 2011.

1. Guys,

A question that really bothers me is will Linea Diesel Succeed with the new 1.6 MJet (If offered !!) ? I have been going through the scoops of the Fiesta Nx and the Verna RB and I feel that they have better engines and trims that are being offered. To start with Fiat messed up with the Palio 1.6 (Superb car when the market wasn't ready for power) and now with Efficiency at the cost of driveability (Read as nonsense gearboxes in the Linea and the Punto 90).

Let the comments flow in ..

Best Regards
    Shiva
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Indian Public are mass driven...lookin at the specs on paper surely pepl wud find it a gud grab and wont complain dats its underpowered or stuff like dat...Many of my frends have told me that the 1.3MJD looks underpowered on paper while they havent even TD'd the car..People only go by paper figures rather than driving and knowing the car better..hw many know the Tjet has torque close or equal to the MJD??? Many of my pals say the 1.4 and 115bhp is far too more..i tell them wat bout city 1.5 with 116bhp?? I explain to them the technology gap later...Still they feel 1.4NA is underpowerd just because its 1.4??

LINEA 1.6MJD wud be a success for sure with right pricing!!
    rajks likes this.
  3. Well Said, it's not only the engines but look at the trim that the Verna RB offers. Our Fiats need better gear boxes for sure as well as good trim. A 1.3 VGT capable of churning out nearly 100 hp in the stock trim could do with better low end torque. This is the area where people complain that these cars are slouch which is not the case when you get the necessary momentum. I speak this being an owner of 1.4 Linea and the 1.3 MJD 90 and in both the cases, the cars are pain to drive in the lower band. I dont want our cars to be relegated to oblivion by the janta ...
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Complete bollocks.

Such statements are made only the ones who have never driven the 1.3 MJD Linea in their lives.

Gurjinder.
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.
  5. Gurjinder, it's a statement which has been made based on owning 2 products from Fiat and owning no other brand till date. I re-iterate, once the momentum picks up, the cars are fun to drive. I do understand that the short ratio's of Fiat are for a reason but that does not help if you want the car to move fast particularly in the first 2 gears. I am fine with the offerings as such but I feel that Fiat will loose more potent customers if something's not done about the low end torque. This is my observation and need to be taken as binding.
    @Romeo likes this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Not on me buddy.

Sceptics and cynics will always point out that there are this and that shortcomings in the car , but the fact remains that its driveability is unquestionable.

The Linea 1.3 MJD enjoys a 3 second advantage in the 4th gear roll from 40-100kmph over the "torque monster" 1.5 VGT Verna.

So, as i said , the ones who are going to question it will always question it. But facts will remain facts.

Gurjinder.

P.S. I will always refrain from questioning the Punto's driveability because i dont own one. I would request you to do the same regarding the Linea.
    johnny likes this.
  8. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    I think the gearing ratio in the FIATs are sorted out. The first 2 gears though being small gears are needed when the car needs to pull the heavy load of the car + people and luggage. Try a Swift with full load of 5 people + luggage and it will struggle as It has tall gearing. The same people and same luggage in a Punto will easily the load. The shorter first 2 gears is a disadvantage when you need the outright rush, but the 3rd Gear in FIATs make up completely for the loss. FIATS have the best 20 - 80 figures as compared to any other cars and that shows how driveable these cars are. Anyways as you clock more kms on the car the better it starts to perform.

As far as the 1.6 is concerned - I am not sure that it will end FIAT's problems, but it might end up as one of the best selling cars if priced right. Also FIATs are made to last - be it the humble Padmini, Uno, Palio or Linea / Punto. Hence they are the first choice of the enthusiats and also now a days choice for people who want something other than the Marutis. Benefit FIAT has is that its longest in the Indian market and that can be used as a positive sign for the buyers but it also has a negative point which are the labour problems that FIAT had and all the issues that it has faced due to that.
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is so true.
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    I'm not good at predicting future, But here's a review snippet you'll see everywhere by the arm chair critics.

Fiat 1.6 MJD - Test Drive & Review

Pro's
    It's the new torque monster
    It hugs the road like anything
    It has a meaty and precise steering
    Improved interiors are on par with segment cars
    Aggressive pricing

Con's
    F.....It's got a Fiat badge on it