1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Will bad rear tire result in steering wobble ?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by ranconteur, Apr 2, 2014.

1. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Hi All ,

I recently changed 2 of my tires and installed them on the front since steering had a good amount of wobble at speeds in excess of 80 . But even now I am facing the same thing though with reduced intensity , so just wanted to ask you guys if bad rear tires can make steering to wobble at high speeds . Everything else in the car seems fine to FASS . I believe conceptually it should not be the case . Nevertheless please share your inputs .

Previous Tires ---- Apollo Accelere
    New Tires ---- Apollo Accelere

Thanks
  2. Gaurav Chakraborty

Gaurav Chakraborty Amatore

New Delhi
    yup. i was also facing the same issue last weekend check the tires throughly and i fnd that one of the rear tire has completely worn out and also has a bulge in it, replace it immediately with step wheel and now wobblng is gone..
    1 person likes this.
  3. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Thanks for the prompt reply Gaurav . So in reality steering wobble is dependent on rear tire as well , I will be changing the rear tires soon then .

Thanks again :)
  4. SHBZ

SHBZ Novizio

Pune
    It will wobble from rear only if there is any bulge or cut on the rear tyre as Gaurav rightly said, else it shouldn't.
  5. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Hey guys my question is about Steering wobble , rear will wobble owing to bad rear tire , understandable to me . So requesting you to please share how steering behaves due to bad rear tire . Because after hearing you guys I will be pushing the FASS guys to overhaul suspension components in case tires are not the culprit .

Thanks
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Have you ruled out the usual culprits? Alignment, balancing, rim/alloy bend, tyre damage etc.?
    Only after all these are ruled out should you be thinking about suspension overhaul.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    What do your mean by bad rear tyre? Has it gone bald, developed bulges, cuts etc or developed unever wear? Is the tyre pressure correct? Is the rim bent? Bad rear tyre will definitely affect the wheel balancing and the wheel alignment which will cause the steering wobbling or juddering. Best option before approaching Fiat is to get the wheel alignment/balancing done. If still the issue persists get the steering column & wheel bearings checked at Fiat before you ask them to touch the suspension set up.
  8. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    Yes guys the rear tires have uneven wear , just wanted to confirm if there are responsible for the steering wobble . Have visited FASS many times , nothing could be found other than tires by them . Alignment, balancing have been done multiple times plus there is no alloy/rim bent . Will update the forum once I get new rear tires for my car . Hopefully it will sort out the issue . Thanks everyone :)
  9. drkars

drkars

bangalore
    Hi,brake pads wear can also result in some shudder at the mentioned speeds, faced a similar situation while driving to Mysore few months back.got the pads changed at urs cars.problem sorted out.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk 2
  10. ranconteur

ranconteur Amatore

Delhi
    @ drkars My car brakes does produce sound meaning they are due for a change , but then steering should wobble after applying brakes which is not the case with my car . I have started believing that FIAT has tad more sensitive steering than required , if slightest of something goes wrong then the steering starts wobbling which is not the case with other cars in the market and I strictly believe it should not be the case either , it takes away the pleasure of driving car on a highway .