1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

wider tires or larger tires?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Mar 20, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi guys,

My Bridgestones have done nearly 30K now and there is still quite a bit of thread left in it but in a matter of 3 months I'm planning on upgrading it.
    Currently I'm running on stock 175/70 R14
    what difference would it make if i go in for 195/60 R15 and 195/65 R14 ?

The main thing I want from my tires are
    1.) road grip under hard cornering (happy with the grip my BS is providing)
    2.) quiet ride

If possible can you guys take the example of both the sizes i've mentioned and specify the pros and cons ?
    Thanks
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    theblack if you need to go for 195/60/R15, you need to change your rim too . By keeping the stock tire size of 14 " the best recommended upgrade would be 185/70/R14 as it comes closest to the stock tires running on Emotion pk which is 195/60 R15. 195/65 R14 doesn't seem to be a standard size.

Capture.jpg

Ref:- Tire Size Comparison
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    the 195/65 R14 i saw was from BS
    Anyway that is not the point here. I'm interested in knowing what are the benefits/ disadvantages of Larger tires VS wider tires.
    Why should i go for R15 or why not?
    why should i stay with R14 (wider profile) or why not?
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    For aesthetics - 195 60 15

For a pragmatic choice - 185 70 14. This would be my pick.

You are asking for two contradictory things here. A tire which promises a quiet ride will not necessarily give you good grip under hard cornering and vice-versa.

If you're happy with the grip the 175/70 Bridgestones are providing, you'll be more than happy with any decent tire you put on next.

Cheers.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Gurjinder, I'm not particularly interested in aesthetics if it means that I get better grip with R14.
    I have read that +1 upsize would be better in terms of "turn-in"
    But a +0 upsize would mean that i get better grip on wet/dry roads

How far is this true?
    If i go with +0 what is the tradeoff between grip and turn-in (or does this come down to which tires I choose and what compound its made of?)

Sorry that was a foolish question. I was well aware that these features are more or less mutually exclusive...

My reasons for this topic.
    I'm planning on selling my R14s as they have done 30K and have quite a lot of thread.
    So I can get more $$ per tire .
    I'm planning on buying alloys as well but +1 upsize and 15"Alloys would mean i will have to sell a kidney :), so hopefully R14 will be relatively cheaper and better on the road
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    185/70 is the max you can put on your stock R14 rim . Else you may have to go for alloys for putting 195/65 .
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    cinju, I got you're point But I'm talking about the adv/disadv of +1 and +0 w.r.t grip and turn-in and the tradeoffs therein