1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not have two sets of Wheels ? Discussion between a FIATist and his wife.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by srida, Nov 18, 2012.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Srida: the idea is not as illogical or impractical as it seems from the outset. Many hard core OTR fans do use this same method - highway tyres for their jeeps to drive on the highway (till the OTR point) and OTR spec tyres for the OTRs. But you have to factor in the additional efforts you have to put in before and after every highway drive.

Kudos to your wife for thinking out of the box and coming up with the idea. If this idea came from my wife, I would have gifted her something nice, just for thinking like this.:p
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    One more point that,
    Tyre's life is good if they used regulary. Once you removed them & used new for a months time. But during this months time you have to keep the old tyres in a good place with powder in that. As rubber is getting harder & harder if they are not used regulary.
    A good tyre's life is 3 years if used regulary. If the use is not regular & the grip is good then also the tyre has to be changed after 3 years time.

This also applies to your new tyres too....

So instead of buying a set, change front two tyres of both the cars. (considering only two tyres are worn out, specially front two) Keep old but good grip tyre on rear which will provide you the perfect confidence on driving....
  3. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3
    Details of charges - for alignment Rs.250/-

for balancing - Rs.50/- per wheel.

Cost of wheel weights - Re.2/- for every gram of sticker weights.

Rotation was not charged as they have to remove the wheels for balancing.

In the last rotation total 200 grams of weights were used. So cost of weights was Rs.400/-

A free alignment is offered within 15 days from the date of alignment, this can be used if you feel any pull on steering.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. I pary to god my wife shouldn't read ur statement, atleast before I buy the new set of tyres :D

For the new tyres, if I go for Yoko C drive or Mich PLC, should I completly avoid taking bad or broken roads to increase the tyre life. My daily comute offlate is really into the streets which has bad or no roads. If the PLC or C Drive are so britle, wouldnt my daily comute worsen the tyre life. If I have to avoid such roads for everyday drive, then I must drop the idea of buying PLC or CDrive and think about some tyres that have thick rubbered side wallsand longer life. I am fed up of driving the car in the main roads in that heavy traffic, rather I prefer driving in those small bad roads.
  5. anjith100in

anjith100in Timido

The idea of re-alignment and wheel balancing every time when changing the tyre is a misconception. Wheel balancing should be done only when
    1. The tyre is removed from the rim/alloy.
    2. When u feel wobbling of the steering/car. (rarely under hard breaking tyre momentarily slips on the rim. And u might have to remove and re fix the tyre on the rim/alloy and along with that balancing.)
    3. every 15k km.

And alignment is done after
    1. Certain interval of time( eg every 15k km)
    2. After driving the car under harsh conditions( through a lot of potholes, drifting, taking corners at high speed or rarely hauling heavy loads). I said this because imagine i had to change ur tyres unfortunatly for five times in 5k km, Will U hav to re- align eact time?.. NO.. Unless you are using very different tyre configurations.

What i feel is.. THE IDEA OF 2 SETS OF TYRES is ok but u should use the tyres within 3 years.

THis is what i think.. liked to be corrected if i am wrong.
  6. sungoa2010

What Ajit told looks correct. Whenever tyre get puncture we need to balance the wheel since we have to remove and install the tyre. Otherwise we need not balance.
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Use Santro for city driving and Punto for highways

8. Santro is used 100 % by my wife for her office and shopping. We both our cars entirely at different times and different places. So no way we can share a car. :(