1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not have two sets of Wheels ? Discussion between a FIATist and his wife.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by srida, Nov 18, 2012.

1. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    Srida, put your current tyres on your wives santro and get yourself a new set of yokos :D :redcar

when you feel the yokos are underperforming put them again on santro and get a new set of tyres ;) Hope you don't get :hit by your wife
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Keeping different sets of wheels is what professional racing teams do. It is definitely do able and a good idea, provided you can put in the effort to change them before and after every trip.
    Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to do alignment every time you change the wheels. The tyres and wheels once balanced need not be balanced just because you removed it from the car. Balancing is required periodically and also if you remove the tyre from the wheel or if the wheel gets a hit.
    You need to look at the trouble of changing the wheels and keeping the air pressure on the unused wheels if they are kept aside for long.
    If you are going this route, instead of buying different city and long distance wheels, I would suggest that once the long distance tyre set has done around 20-25K kms, go for a new set of long distance tyres and use the old ones as city tyres until they run out.
    I must really congratulate your wife for bringing up such ideas. :up
    3 people like this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I think it is a really good idea. You will need to balance the tyres, only if you take them of the wheel or if you have damaged your rims / alloys. It might be prudent to also get a trolley jack, as that would allow you to lift up / lower the car with far lesser effort that the OE jack. You might also want to consider getting a battery operated air pump, given that you have 15 wheels to take care of.

I am sure if cared for properly the tyres will last for a long time and offer excellent ROI.

Rajan
  4. You mean put the current tyres in the Santro's Boot ??? :p :D LOL
    2 people like this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The idea seems very logical but I would not implement it..
    here are my reasons.

1.) Storing tires for long is not a good idea and that's the reason why many prefer to buy tyres which are only a few months old .
    2.) In case you have a flat either on the highway or city you will need to change the tyres which would mean you will either have to run on 3 city + 1 Highway tyre or 3 highway + 1 city tyre (Depending on where you have a flat) :D
    This will cause issues as there is going to be imbalance on highways simply because if you have a 3H+1C setup then the city tyre would have done more and there will be uneven wear compared to your highway tyres this will in turn ruin all 4 tyres.
    3.) or to make your solution work you would have to buy 5 tyres of each type and that would again add more money .
    4.) If you stick to 4 tyres only then w.r.t [2] you will have to go in for alignment/ balancing and there are just too many combinations that might not be ideal....
    Please think about it.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am using C Drive from last 25K, excellent tyre.
    I have not used PLC, but that is most recommended tyre for Comfort.

We should thank her for brilliant idea. Surely its tough to keep changing it and maintaining when its not in use, but idea is certainly great and doable.
    1 person likes this.
  7. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    How much in general, balancing - rotation and alignment should cost outside TASS ?
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Usually if rotatation is done along with Balancing / Alignment, then its not charged. For Balancing and Allignment it will be @ 550 - 700 INR.

I was charged 60 Rs for tyre rotation alone at Tyre Professionals ..
  9. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    The way I look at it, you would be spending today what you otherwise would have over the lifespan of two sets of tyres.

This idea sounds costly to me considering we can't use tyres for too long even if they are used less, unless I haven't understood the opening post correctly.
  10. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Highly impractical n illogical ... in fact, by doing what she suggested, you are going to spend double the amount you would actually want to spend, by buying 2 sets of tires now PLUS additional costs of allignment every time you are changing those tires. What are you gaining by spending 40k now, if you have the option of spending it as 2 instalments of 20 k each year??
    By religiously rotating and doing allignment at exact 5k kms interval, you tires which would normally last 30k would go upto 40-45k !! may be around 500Rs per allignment doesnt sound costly compared to your alternative !
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012