1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not have two sets of Wheels ? Discussion between a FIATist and his wife.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by srida, Nov 18, 2012.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Seems like a very good idea to me, alignment and balancing won't have to be done after changing tyres but the pain of changing 4 tyres with OEM jack send jitters in my body would take atleast 1.5 hrs.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Please save it for your return Ramesh:D

Srida - interesting conversation that is. Very logical solution but doesn't work for us. The only complaint linealover has against the c drives is the steering lightness. Apart from that it's indeed a good one. Please do take feedback from Gopi who also runs PLC.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Hydrolic Jacks are available for prices 1600-2000. Then it is a easy job.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Good idea,but still I would stay away from this if I could...
  5. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Tyre rotation is not a problem for punto/linea as fiat suggests it change the front tyre to rear and vice versa on the same side of the vehicle.

This rotation problem arises when the tyres have to be changed from one side to other side of the vehicle for example verna.

Good to see that you have dropped the idea of second set of tyres as it is a pain (IMHO) to change tyres before every long drive and change it again after returning.

By regular rotation and wheel balancing and alignment (every 5000 Kms.) tyres should last atleast for 40,000 Kms. 30,000 Kms. is a bit earlier (what I feel it).

Have you noticed in the reviews, that side walls of Yoko's or PLC is softer than that of GOODYEAR. So, be a bit more cautious while going in to pot holes with your new tyres on. Some say softer side walls is a myth. But, better to be cautious.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. I am running on PLC with 2010 model GC upgraded to 185 MM, i have the steering play in PLC more than GT3, I still need to confirm by checking the alignment once.
    People who have done GC kit upgrade do you see slight steering play in your car?
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Do we have to do rotation every 5000K along with balancing and alignment? I do Balancing and alignment at every 5K but not rotation.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Well, though its not mandatory to rotate wheels at 5k kms interval, as a prudent measure many advice to do so. People have got better mileage of their tyres due to this. Even I had this dilemma recently when my Punto crossed 5k kms on the odo. Based on the inputs from TFI, I decided to go for tyre rotation. Now mentally satisfied if not any :up
    1 person likes this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    It also sound logical. If there is any wear and tear then 5K interval will make it uniform where in a 1 year interval one has to ride with lyres that have more non uniformity. The settling time will be more.

Another plus point with having two wheels is one get more chance to observe and clean the disc:D
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually, I too was under the notion that tyres need rotation every 15,000 kms.

But, When I went for 2nd service,TASS fellows threw some light on me:). I was told that if I rotate tyres every 5,000 Kms, I will get best life out of the tyres.

Since, then I have been doing Balancing, Rotation and alignment at every 5,000 Kms. a from wheel alignment center, Which is one of the best wheel alignment centers in the town. It is also better to this job from outside TASS at a wheel alignment center which does this job at their best.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012