1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not a 6th gear in Punto and Why use an out dated Palio gearbox still.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by macky, May 30, 2012.

1. Bala

Bala Esperto

6th gear for a Punto would be like adding a 150 km speed to the engine of a road roller!!!,what would be the use??!!!
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

Grande Punto 1.3

Do you mean punto sails like a road roller?
  3. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

What are you smoking Bala??
    1 person likes this.
  4. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

What's wrong mate, you having issues with your ride? Talk to us, all of us have small niggles that we live with but when I turn this beauty at 120 with zero body roll; it blows my mind every single day.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

6th gear would be a little too much for a small engine as it cannot make good use of gearing then...
    I would like a gearbox redesign with tall 3rd gear, Taller 4th gear and bit more than what exists from the 5th gear..
    Fun would be even more with very tall 3rd and 4th gears
  6. Correct, even Autobahn for some stretch have a limit of 130 Kmph out of it's 12K kms
    2 people like this.
  7. Bala

Bala Esperto

LOL@Relativity,enki and mvb4u.
    My car,once past 120km/hr speed or 2500 rpm grouls and moans like a pregnant woman about to deliver a baby and once past 140k/hr speed,it shouts like it's going to deliver a baby Linea anytime!!.Accepting that there is a very small engine this huge car,one can not squeez out any more bhps even if one were to add 5 more gears to the gear box,I thought!!!
  8. NVH levels are greatly reduced after i switched to Mobil 1 Delvac and a remap
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

There's no 6th gear in the Punto because there's no need for it.

i20 has 6 gears not because of any luxury feature, but a necessity. It has a peaky powerband typica of FGT engines, and it had to have 6 shortly spaced gears to make full use of the engine's power. Give it 5 gears and it'll be a dog to drive. Now atleast it can move briskly if you keep the gear shaft busy.

1 person likes this.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Bala, The stressed noise of FGT is free of cost feature.
    Don't worry, it won't deliver anything.
    VGT is not loud in the same way, though at times niggle is felt.
    But the way this little baby propels, often ignored with help of some music.
    Dualogic is 5 gears, i took it as 6 gears earlier. Surely that would be fantastic addition instead of 6 speed manual.
    Absolutely licked a Vento Tdi today, it will be an atom bomb with a dualogic:cool!!