1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not a 6th gear in Punto and Why use an out dated Palio gearbox still.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by macky, May 30, 2012.

1. amitp

amitp Amatore

Pune, Maharashtra
    The current gearbox on the Punto (C510 for the MJD) should be sufficient for a spirited driver to hit 180 kmph with more capability if there is more road.
    The 6 speed (M20) which can handle the MJD is triaxial as compared to the current biaxial gearbox. Also the torque rating of the M20 is more than the 5 speed.
    It will be considerably expensive and wont really have the roads to hit the 200kmph+.
    The best spec of the 1.3 MJD is 105 HP which was used for the Lancia Ypsilon. (Note - This spec is compliant to our current pollution norms.)
    The 1.3 MJD has had the 6 speed box in the form of the M20.
    The latest engines should take their own sweet time for our market as they are Euro 5 compliant and our current BS 4 norms are one notch down (Euro 4).
    The I20 seems like a very good spec on paper but when I drove it, high speeds (150 and above) are really uncomfortable in it. The Punto is very well behaved at those speeds. It is due to the stiffer suspension setup on the Punto as compared to the I20.
    As far as the capabilities of the Punto as concerned it had a 270 HP Abarth S2000 version way back in 2005.
    I hope this brief write up answers a few of your queries. Feel free to ask more and hope that I can answer them.

Cheers !!!

Amit
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Well... I have tried it... It doesnt pass 167 KMPH or say 170 KMPH max... I am talking about my 1.3 MJD Emotion - 2009 November Purchased Punto... I had open road in front of me but car dint go any faster... but yeah... it definitely was a spirited drive till the time i reached 160 KMPH... after that it was forced acceleration....
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    have a look at this: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/punto-1-3-mjd/2423-journey-punto-10.html#post97477
    1 person likes this.
  4. macky

macky Amatore

@PlatinumShine: The problem i am referring to is for the 75HP Punto, from what i have heard 90HP punto is better because of taller 5th gear?? and the booming sound starts when the speed is beyond 140Ks.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

@amitp : please read my comments in the above post. its not about speed, its about the booming sound that the engine makes beyond 120Ks and i can make out the strain the engine goes through! yes we can push the punto till 160Ks but then its like pushing the engine to its limits in the current tune with the current gear box and also add to it the wind noise!. This is my openion as out of 30k KM covered in my Punto around 25K KM is high way driven(NH7) where the traffic is relatively less and a four laner! Add to it, the fuel efficiency will also increase if there is additional gear!
  5. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even shams is old model, and heaviest one. And he has active model.
  7. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    What could be the reason boss?... tell me... and yah, I am 100% sure about the wheels alignment and balancing, it was perfect then.... I am the one craving for speed all the time... your expert inputs would be helpful to me... By any chance the reason could be the tyre spec diff between Active and Emotion?
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No idea, I never tried to cross 150-155 in my Punto (Emotion with both 175 and 195 tyres). I don't feel safe to cross that.
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

wishes are bitches, there are many for everyone:dancing
    More gears directly translates into good use of RPMs, better acceleration, FE, top speed, relaxed engine, it will go to higher RPMs in every gear & longevity of engine. FIAT can definitely try this.

Wishes.... oh!! Have people thought about of fitting a Dualogic to 90 HP/Linea??
    They will smoke every other car in it's category with that gear box without 1.6 MJD!
    It will shave off at least 2-3 secs over this present 5 gears that FIAT has got. Surely in 11-12 secs range. It will blast through the RPM. Top speed will easily clock 200km/hr. FIAT got such state of art things, why in the hell, they are using this 5 speed snatched from homo-sapiens:A?
    Punto 90HP with dualogic used to do 0-100 in 11.XX secs 3 yrs back. 200 KM/Hr@4000 RPM:(.
    Check you-tube videos of Punto VGT Dualogic doing 200-210-220-230@4000-4200 RPMs.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Me too think that punto deserves 6th gear if not 7th.:p