1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why not a 6th gear in Punto and Why use an out dated Palio gearbox still.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by macky, May 30, 2012.

1. macky

macky Amatore

ok Guys,

I love my Punto, but on highways, immediately after touching 100KMPH i get a feeling that there is a need for another gear!! and also the wind noise becomes exceedingly unbearable. These are the two factors that puts me off every time i take it on a high way!

Why dont Fiat provide 6th gear in Punto and Linea, especially when Hundai can in their i20. on one hand there is punto which can handle high speeds well but doesnt have a 6th gear and on the other i20 cant handle high speeds but has a 6th gear!

I wish we get a new gear box some time soon!!
    1 person likes this.
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Not only that but a Punto can handle more power too yet get's only 75 & 90 bhp. The hot hatch segment is completely empty and waiting for Fiat to move in and make the kill with the T-Jet & 1.6 MJD in the Punto. Before Fiat moves the Punto to the EPS, I hope they launch the T-Jet Punto here.

The 6th gear is always welcome but even in Europe the MJD's don't get a 6 speed gear. Only the 0.9L Twinair and 1.4L Multiair petrol's get a 6 speed box.

The 1.6L MJD does come with a 6 speed gearbox though. In UK only the Bravo get's the 1.6L engine.
  3. deepakhon

deepakhon Amatore

@amit, i thought 1.3 90hp in Europe has 6 gears.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I haven't found any issues with gear till 130 or 140 KMPH speed. And I don't think any roads in India will give you opportunity to drive more than that speed.

Only 2nd gear is bit slow, otherwise other gears are pretty ok for roads/environments we drive.

I think i20 has also removed 6th gear.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

It was removed for some time but the newly launched fluidic i20 crdi has 6 gears
    1 person likes this.
  6. sungoa2010

But do we really need a 6th gear. The vehicles are exponentially increasing and our road conditions are not not improving. Punto can comfortably do 120-130 in 5th gear. Unless we have roads that allow us to use 6th gear for quite a long time, there is no need for a 6th gear.
    I am telling completely a practical situation. I agree that with a sixth gear punto can easily touch 200 kmph but how many of us can travel in that speed. The price will also increase with 6th gear.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  7. macky

macky Amatore

it was removed due to the supply constraints and its back with fluidic i20!

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Its not about speed sungoa, its the booming sound that you get @120ks and you can feel that the engine is strained beyond that. But with the addition of 6th gear cruising @ 120 -140 will be a breeze with out the booming sound!! and thats exactly what i am looking at!
  8. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

@macky: in addition to the wind noise is the Punto engine's sound on the higer side at speed > = 100 kmph?

Ok got it from your latest post. Does that booming sound + wind noise take comfort away in some sort?
    I have driven my dad's six speed i20 at 140s; the engine is ever so silent + it cruises nicely at 110@2k rpm.
    Taking nothing away from the GP, would like to know how uncomfortable would it make for the co-passengers (also) the wind and booming sounds? I am very close to booking a regular GP 90; just stuck because of the unavailability due to recently launched Sports version.
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  9. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

IMO... we do require 6th Gear in Punto and Linea... IF I talk about myself... I drive fast... almost always over 140 - 150 KMPH when on highways... Roads in Gujarat are real good... Ahmedabad - Baroda - Surat - Mumbai - Pune highway... Ahmedabad - Rajkot Highway... Ahmedabad - Udaipur Highway... These are the highways on I frequently travel... On these highways I strongly feel that we should have 6th gear coz. Punto is capable of managing high speeds so very well...

At least they should launch a separate model of Punto with additional 6th Gear if they cant make it a common feature to all existing models...
  10. PuntoMJD

PuntoMJD Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Exactly same feelings. After 100/120 KMPH, desperately need of 6th gear.But mostly i never crossed 100KMPH So today's date its OK for me.

Punto T-Jet - 6 Speed
    Punto 1.6MJD - 6 Speed
    Linea - 1.6 MJD