1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why I brought Grande Punto and Why Am happy

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 22, 2010.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    When i read Sat's post yesterday about the turning radius being decreased, i was baffled that how can the turning radius be decreased by the GC upgrade.

I still am baffled.

The only way we can decrease the radius is by modifying the steering rack. What i assume FIAT did with the 2012 models.

Someone will have to confirm the part numbers for the 2012 Linea and Punto's steering rack. Whether it has superseded the earlier models, or whether it is for 2012 cars ONLY.
  2. Me too, as I wrote earlier I am surprised.only thing i can think of is since there is longer strut whether it making the Camber angle causing slight turning radius change.
    -sat

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

I am confirming this today I was coming back from office and I take U-Turn at bannerugatta road just after mantri commerce, Earlier I needed entire stretch of the road to be able to do so.Today I went to right most edge of road before taking the U -Turn but still there was 4-5 feet left on the road.
    This road is 2 lane toad may be ~40-45 feet wide.
    -Sat
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    The following link will tell how turning radius will change when the vehicle get riser pads. So that gives the hint that the GC upgrade can change the TR. For that we need to exactly know what fiat has done in GC upgrade. It looks like what sat has observed is correct.

Alpha Skateboard Co., Inc.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  4. fiat_fan

fiat_fan Amatore

Calicut
    thanks for the update , so turning radius came down from 5.4 to 5?!! thats really good news
  5. I am not sure what it is, but turning radius is is smaller. any idea on how to measure it?
  6. I recently did 1800kms trip to Goa and back ,travelogue is here http://www.teamfiat.co.in/street-tr...rwar-north-goa-old-goa-dandeli-bangalore.html .While coming back in dandeli forests, there was kher khar noise from the left shock absorber. Called Harish reserved last saturday for fixing the issues with Shocks.
    Harish dismantled front two shocks and to my surprise TASS mysore road has filled the strut mount bearing with grease !!,which has collected lot of sad particles and contributing the to the sound.

harsh went a step ahead added rubber sleeve(hose) around the springs,result another unexpected.

NVH , V for vibrations when going over rough patches of road is completely absent and vibrations that creep into cabin is down by 90% !!

Sorry, I don't have pictures with me hose is on the bottom side the springs in front shock absorbers.
    -Sat
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Does the rubber sleeves come with vehicle? Is it is missing in your case?
  8. No rubber sleeve is not part of the kit or shock absorber part list.Harish got a little hard hose so that it can last longer.
    I would recommend this if you are paranoid about dash board making strange noise when going over the rough road.

-Sat

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

This what is done to my coil springs ,picture is just an example.
    2 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Thanks for clarification sat. I was thinking about the cover that envelope the entire spring?
    1 person likes this.
  10. Entire spring may be a overkill as these are hard springs very rarely bottoms out.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012