1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why I brought Grande Punto and Why Am happy

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thank you very much all for the help

One last thing, any significant symptons to notify a need for change/replacemente

Harmony & chaos
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Lack of power would be the sureshot symptom.

But, the air filter would be a much bigger suspect than the MAF at this stage in your Punto's life. Replacing the air filter at 7500km intervals will help the MAF also.

Cheers
  3. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Already running K&N filter and racechip
  4. you may want revert to old setup of paperfilter and disconnect the tuning box, then find out if there is difference in the pickup now and before you made the mods if yes then it may need cleaning.
    Tass folks will use IP to clean it on request only.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    K&N filter causes lots of problem in MAF and throttle bodies in petrol cars.

they are best avoided in indian environments. make sure you dont pour much oil while cleaning the K&N filter with the kit.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    bad MAF sensor causes poor/rough idle, hesitation/jerk while acceleration and causes car to run either too rich or lean.
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for the info Italia bro

all this is taken care of by the guy who works on all my cars PHIL, so he takes care of all this stuff in advance at the time of servicing.
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
    PHIL is one amazing guy who knows the cars in and out, be it any brand.

but sorry to say no one can help saving you throttle body or MAF if your car is fitted with K&N.

K&N is best suited for non dusty countries. i am using K&N in my other cars and all have faced problems. i had to literally change the throttle body on my petrol car.
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3

have u checked if it has the same effects on diesels aswell, coz our accent(2005) although petrol has already crossed 91000 kms with K&N filter(put in @ 17000 kms) and no such issues have occurred so far(touchwood)
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    no, i dont want to dare test it on my linea now. great to know you never faced any problems on your accent. may be you dint face much dusty environments.

when people go for it they hardly know the ill effects of the parts they fit. so did i and 10 other friends who bought these K&N filters from a reputed dealer in pune. once they are well experienced it using them and if there are ill effects they regret.

my friends zen and santro also faced the sensor problem. not only MAF but the poor filteration causes sticky IAC valve which causes idling issues.

i also mentioned this issue to K&N engineers. they replaced my filter 2 times free of cost. but that was never going to help.

after dismantling my throttle body 4-5 times for total cleaning the IAC valve finally gave up, causing issues in idling.