1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why I brought Grande Punto and Why Am happy

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 22, 2010.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Looks nice, but I see that it is screwed onto the fender. I do not like to drill holes on the fender for this. :(
  2. I had that hole already due to free rubber type mud flop provided by Concorde when i got my car.
    I did not drill any new holes in body as such.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Harish sourced it from K.R road, not sure of the price. I had to pay him some money this was included in that. will try to let you know.
    Pictures here deceive the eye's a bit, this flop doesn't sit as good as absolute there is visible gap be ween body on the plastic.
  3. Left the car for Clutch kit replacement at pride cars, Vista/Manza shares the parts with FIAT, Got the Kit for ~5K including releaser bearing.
    Now the shocking part clutch slave cylinder is still fiber one!!, I had asked Concorde TASS to change and they also confirmed that they changed it but fact is it is still fiber one.
  4. shams

shams Esperto

oh, thats shocking.
    Get the service history and if clutch slave cylinder is mentioned there then do shoot an email to Mangesh with it (and a pic of the plastic slave cylinder) asking him for action on this matter.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  5. Hmm!!, see the service record.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Sat, how to find out if it is plastic or steel?
    1 person likes this.
  7. slave_cylinder.jpg

Changing the content, the rod should be metal one and rest of the body is made of fiber.
  8. Okay, i just saw the CSC it's body is fiber but rod is made of steel(fiber one will have the rod made of fiber it self). I was thinking the whole thing should be of metal.
    Clarified this with few Concorde folks and i rest the matter there it self.
    1 person likes this.
  9. IMG_20131231_185955.jpg

Changed the clutch,pressure plate and releser bearing. Also coolant pump was changed as it was leaking from it's bearing.
    Switched to mobil 75-90 gearbox oil,mobil never failed to impress me.
    NVH levels are down to 65-70 db inside the cabin.

- - - Merged Post - - -
    Got Golden cruiser dark green coolant,as i was not happy with motul inugel.

How did i select the coolant?
    It was with the help of article in automotive india site.

I will limit the scope of this thread to Liquid Coolants.

The most common liquid coolant is water. In a typical automobile engine using liquid cooling system, the water is filled in to the radiator. Normally water contains lot of chemical substances, which makes its pH to vary depending on the source. It is completely good to use a pH neutral water in radiator. However, it is always tough to guarantee a neutral pH for water, though it is defined theoretically. Depending up on the acid/alkaline property of the substances in the water being used, radiator, engine block, cylinder head etc. can face a threat of corrosion. This is were Coolants are useful! Following are the major advantages of mixing coolant:

Acts as a corrosion inhibitor. corrosion inhibitor is a chemical compound that, when added to a liquid or gas, decreases the corrosion rate of a metal or an alloy.
    Acts as an antifreeze agent. An antifreeze agent prevents a rigid enclosure from undergoing physical stresses and catastrophic deformation due to the expansion that occurs when water turns to ice.
    Increases the boiling point of the water. With higher boiling point, water can be raised to considerably higher temperatures (above 100 degrees Celsius) without introducing high pressures within the container or loop system.

Be informed that coolant mixes are toxic and sadly, is a cause for environmental pollution. Coolants are color coded to identify coolant type according to the chemical compound being used. There are 3 types of coolants, based on the color:

Green/Yellow/Blue Color

These coolants are glycol based products and contains ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, or propylene glycol. Silicates and Phosphates are also added to the mixture to prevent corrosion. ethylene glyco and diethylene glycol are highly toxic in nature. However propylene glycol is relatively safe and is used widely because of this reason. propylene glycol can increase the boiling point of water to 187 degree Celsius. These type of coolants need to be replaced completely once in an year.

Orange/Dark Green/Pink

These type of coolants are Organic Acid Technology (OAT) based products containing ingredients as sebacate, 2-Ethylhexanoic acidm, and other organic acids. These are Organic compounds and hence is very environmental friendly. Silicates and Phosphates are not used in these type of coolants (except in the case of Toyota's pink extended-life coolant, which adds a dose of phosphate to its extended-life OAT-based antifreeze). Though normally these coolants are colored either Orange or Pink, Honda has an extended-life OAT coolant that is dyed dark green and does not contain 2-EHA.

The corrosion inhibitors in OAT coolants are slower acting but much longer-lived than those in traditional coolants. Consequently, OAT coolants typically have longer a recommended service life. OAT coolants offers highest life and need to be changed only once in 5 years or 240,000 km (150,000 miles).

These type of coolants are built with the Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) formulation or better knows as G-05 (e.g., Zerex G-05) This formulation also uses organic acids, but not 2-EHA (different organic acids are used). Hybrid OAT coolants add some silicate to provide quick-acting protection for aluminum surfaces. Silicate also helps repair surface erosion caused by cavitation in the water pump. Hybrid OAT coolaunts are currently used by many European vehicle manufacturers as well as Ford and Chrysler and claims to have an extended service life of five years or 240,000 km (150,000 miles).
    4 people like this.
  10. Engine used to be rough once outside temperature reached 25+ ,i was wondering what caused it ?

While travelling to coorg,pulled over to check the coolant level.
    It was lower then min,one should not open coolant tank cap when engine is hot.
    I just loosened about one turn,some trapped air escaped.
    After which engine runs smooth even at 30 degree temperature.

I feel removing trapped air in the cooling system is very important but,need to be done with care.
    Engine has to be hot otherwise there is not enough pressure to push the gas out.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014