1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why I brought Grande Punto and Why Am happy

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 22, 2010.

1. I had been to Somanathpura-->mysore trip recently car struggled to climb RPMs and got only 15.5 as FE.
    Did not bother to check what is wrong for few days, as i drove my Vespa and busy in enjoying it's CVT gearbox.

Today I decided to pay visit to Harish Naik of Pride cars.

I had noticed rough engine feeling at sppeds 100 kmph, thought oil issue or oil filter could be clogged there by reducing the quality of oil flow to engine block? In between called Siddarth Chopra also told him about performance issue and kept him thinking what could be the issue.

Harish had MGP oil filter which is UFI make only , he chaged it and noticed oil leak at hose connecting from turbo to intercooler.
    Guess what clip holding hose had givenup(cut) and there was turbo leak.

After changing the clip I and theblack went for spin and car reach upto 5000 RPM in every possible gear we manged in that stretch.
    Later called Siddarth and narrated whole issue and he was happy to note car reached readline effortlessly.

For starteres in this map my turbo kicks only at 2300-2400 RPM and strongly goes upto readline of 5000 RPM, 1100 to 2300 has acceptable but flat torque to aid driving in city.
    1 person likes this.
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

i can vouch for sat on this one.
    My car is running on a different map compared to Sat's and initially i did feel that there was quite less torque at the bottom end but once we hit a clean stretch of road MY GOD the car came alive.
    if i recollect correctly i think I touched 5500rpm and that was in a flash.
    Sat's car is now a ROCKET! truly it is.

PS :: On a side note , sat's car has done almost 50K and the engine feels like its only done 10K or even less .
    MJDs are amazing and more so when under the control/care of a passionate owner.
  3. My Faithful Punto crossed a mile stone today.It had it's share of issues and niggles but as of now i can say my car is giving it's 100% to me with out any issue:)
    6 people like this.
  4. Noise deadening mat was eaten by Rats had created increased cabin noise, had to do patch work!!

Rusted chassis part saw cleanup and touch painting.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    Sat, even am living with a portion of deadening material eaten up by rats. :A Affected area in my Punto is more than yours, so difficult to do any patch work! I remember a fellow TFIan also faced this issue and he changed the deadening material.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. Few pictures after my faithful companion had bath.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Changing the deadening mat will be a major time consuming work,post your picture of the damaged part , I can tell you juggad will work or not.

- - - Merged Post - - -

New issues or niggles,four of them one resolved Right suspension work work redone after I started getting thuds and rubber to rubber rubbing noise now thud is gone but rubber noise is still there.Suspecting lower arm ball joint.

When car is started or stopped i hear a noise from the engine bay which is similar to sound you get when from flute when one blows air in short bursts,may be it is time to check and tighten the engine C-mounts but left side one needs the battery try to be removed.

Rear center stop light is not working tested the lights it was fine but issue seems to be with the wiring or is there nay fuse for it?
    2 people like this.
  7. Just gave the car to Harish, but could not reproduce the issue for rubber sound, but Harish found airfitler box making some noise and left shocks.Requested him to check the left C mounts.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  8. Got the car back from Pride cars,Rubber sound has reduced,Start and stop noise eliminated,C mount checked and fastened.
    Now point of attention to details, Old excide battery was leaking had corroded some of the metal parts beneath it.I did not tell Harish to paint it but he did it on his own.Hmm i never got such proactive help from TASS folks,let us see FIAT.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
    4 people like this.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

i will vouch for Harish's work at pride cars.
    Sat introduced me to him and since then i've never thought twice about going to him for repairs.

Its really hard to find such guys around and i would sincerely request all fiat lovers in blr to pay him a visit in case you need help.
    He really looks at others cars as his own car
    2 people like this.
  10. Pran

Pran Superiore

Grande Punto 1.3
    Where is this Harish Naik and Pride cars located?