1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Why Car Navigation GPS is Preferable Over Mobile GPS ?

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by rakesh8051, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Here below the Replies:

* Cell phones are primarily for communications. You cannot communicate and at the same time enjoy the turn to turn guidance.
    * Cell phones invariably have shorter display area and map reading skills are directly proportional to bigger displays & dedicated devices. With the bigger display, we can appreciate the information and relative context shown in a map.
    * Maps invariably have huge databases, needs to either reside in mobile phone / or access through GPRS (additional VAS costs and will be slow unless it’s a 3G service). Mobile processing speeds will be low in Mobiles and its processing resources are premium. Expends the precious battery life as the battery has to seek GPS signals, and then process huge map database.
    * User Interfaces in the mobile navigation are cramped and is challenging to use. Requires higher learning curve. Not that easy to use for a novice.

So, it’s better to choose Car Navigation GPS rather than Mobile GPS.

I am using Presently Garmin Nuvi 1450 (in Rs. 6K) & Nuvi 1490T with blue tooth (in Rs. 8K) loaded India maps for free :up . here the review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__QCiqKZx0
  2. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    MapMyIndia mobile GPS works exactly like their car GPS devices. No GPRS required. It is virtually same as MapMyIndia GPS devices. But:

- Smaller display of mobile (upto 3 inch) as compared to GPS device (upto 5 inch).
    - You are holding your cell phone in your hand while driving and a cop spots you- CHECKMATE!!! He does not know what a GPS software is all about. You are using your mobile. End of story.
  3. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

The biggest thing that i find useful in my MMI is - the multi-functionality.

First of all, using a dedicated GPS allows free use of the phone. So We can use the phone whenever we want without having to switch in between while using a mobile phone GPS.

Secondly,I use the same MMI device for the reverse view camera display and it works absolutely perfectly.

Third, If I dont want to use the GPS functionality of the MMI GPS, then I always use it for the DIGITAL SPEEDOMETER, that is sadly missing from the Beautiful Jet.

Finally , I have used a mobile GPS as well as MMI. Becasue of the dedicated processor and the engine in the MMI or for that matter any other dedicated GPS device, these device are really quick in their processing speeds as well.
  4. gautamkhadse

gautamkhadse Regolare

I use Sygic Mobile maps on my Galaxy and its a pirated version . Downloaded from IP mart . Just getting to lean the stuff now . Thinking of porting it over to my Notion Ink Adam Tablet . The screen space on te phone is too small but server the purpose .
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    Arrey, I mean you'll need to pick up your phone for typing something while searching it over GPS. I don't mean to say that you'll be driving your entire distance with phone in your hand. ::V
  6. I was looking for something similar to what you have mentioned... I saw my friend's new car with reverse camera & was finding a very odd blue screen when moving in the forward direction - That time, I thought it could have had a screen saver displaying photos etc. What you are saying appears to be the most logical use for that screen :)

Can you specify what model you are using and its price etc? Also how have you mounted it? Pics will be indeed be helpful
  7. CountRock

CountRock Staff Member Janitor

Dallas, Texas
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have extensively used MapMyIndia Navigation (The Fiat gives free for referrals), Sygic on Android and Google Navigation on Android.

The Pros and Cons for each

MapMyIndia GPS
    Offline maps
    Clear LCD display
    Good voice navigation, buggy at times, the GPS shows turn left while the voice says turn right!
    Separate device, does not get disturbed if you get a call!

Old school resistive touch screen, really a pain to use
    Sometimes buggy/slow UI
    Poor battery life
    Maps not always updated, have to buy updates every 6 months
    No Assisted GPS (Since no GPRS), so takes longer to lock on. Also its completely goes for a toss during the rains.

Sygic on Android:
    Excellent offline maps
    Capacitive touch screen (The phone has this)
    Decent Navigation
    Good Voice navigation
    UI is okay.

Not very stable at times.
    Sometimes need to restart Sygic to establish a GPS signal.
    No Assisted GPS (Since no GPRS), so takes longer to lock on. Also its completely goes for a toss during the rains.
    Maps not always updated, have to buy updates every 6 months

Google Navigation (Not Google Maps) - I recently found out that not many people know how to enable Google Navigation in India. Will be putting up a thread tomorrow
    Excellent UI
    Voice Search (Android) You can say Navigate to ________ address from Car Home (In-Car android app)
    Excellent Google Maps integration, i.e. can find businesses easily
    Latitude works great to find friends
    Decent Voice Navigation
    A-GPS works great for a quick GPS lock
    Light weight, does not take up too much storage

Requires internet for it to work
    Slow route calculation on GPRS/EDGE
    If you loose network, new routes cannot be recalculated, however it does cache the current route, so if you stick to it! its all good!
    Sucks phone battery without incar charger. But can still use for 3-4 hours easily
    Incoming calls will stop the navigation

Edit: The above most likely will contains some errors! I am too sleepy to think straight! Good night!
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  8. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Excuse me for the Off Topic (Car GPS VS Mobile GPS)-

Just wanted to share my personal observation on Mobile GPS... I have extensively used Sygic Maps on Samsung TAB and OVI maps on Nokia 5800...side by side specially during my long distance travel from Mumbai to Jaipur. Both works fine on highways. But when it comes to navigate through interiors; like I tested in short trips around Mumbai and quite a few villages at Rajasthan around Jaipur. I found OVI is far ahead of Sygic.

MMI/Sygic doesn't show any roads or map when used in some interiors pocket of villages, while OVI was 99% accurate and very much showing even small streets within villages, around Jaipur and Mumbai.
  9. Hi,

Again off Topic

I am using Garmin Nuvi's starting from Satguide maps and found it is working fine, few roads are missing thus it calculate the long route then shorter.

During my Hyd - Chennai - Pondy - Chennai - Hyd trip, I found Satguide was quite useful in Chennai city only, You can imagine, you don't know any roads / routes in Chennai and you need to reach into deep city around 20 Km from Highway, it is next to impossible to ask the routes by road side strangers, specially if you are into car, which turn, flyway or side road, if oneway is there, need to select the which road etc.

On Highway it always suggest you the wrong / shouter routes. Even i selected Preference in GPS PND "Faster" it disturb you, if you listen the GPS.

After reaching back to Hyderabad, I got MMI version 6. & Navteq (Garmin loaded) India maps, I found Garmin and MMI both are excellent and they have full roads & huge POI too. you ask anything, they will show it, even my company name and location found into Navteq maps.

Navteq maps have more details and POI but after comparing both, I noticed that MMI maps are the best, because they have additional category for colony main road and colony streets, thus Garmin suggest correctly, same route you desire.

In the same case Navteq calculate short but more left - right, which is not desirable.

Navteq: Best of POI, more coverage (4 Star)
    MMI : Best route calculation, POI also good. (5 Star)
    Satguide: Basic maps, less POI, better than nothing. (2 Star)