1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

white pitted spots on my Black punto, please advice urgently.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by theblack, Apr 2, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

Recently while washing my car I observed white pitted marks (spots) on the right rear of my car.
    These spots are quite visible if observed up close and its only on the left rear, no where else on the car i can see it.
    When i run my fingers over it, I can easily feel the surface of my car being quite rough and i can feel the mild depressions caused due to the spots.(its almost like an etch mark).

I'm sure its not the job of any on the street idiot because its spread quite evenly and looks like something has gone bad with the paint job.
    Please advice and let me know what I can do...
    Awaiting you're responses at the earliest....

Some pics
    IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg

Those white pitted spots you see are what I'm talking about.
    Please advice.
  2. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi.. I am not sure if my guess is right.. but let me give it a try in understanding the problem.. Whenever I park my car in the basement and just below any AC ducts, I see some water droplets on the rear windsheild and it forms like a white layer.. I have squeezed some lemon and rubbed it with the same lemon and finally it removes the white residue.. The same thing has happend on the roof too and the same thing works. you may want to give it a shot and see if that helps.
  3. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    looking at pictures dont know if it something sprayed on paint or it is some paint oxidation...Generally fiat cars wont have paint problem since fiat gives warranty on paint for 3 years.. I think it could be something similar to what Kvk said. Try doing what he has suggested or else you can try cleaning with wax polish. If it doesnt go then probably you can use top coat remover compound.
    My i10 also had similar problem when I parked the car in basement and there was some cement water or something fell and it clearly made white mark. My car cleaner used Harpic (toilet cleaner) mixed with water and rubbed the affected area and it vanished. after that i used wax to make it shine.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    No its not any problem with cement fallout or anything...
    I can feel clear cuts in the surface paint when i run my fingers over the surface where the spots exists.
  5. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Ok, This might be a problem with the paint (or may be due to the paint reacting with the polish). Even though it's not clear from the picture, i know what you are saying since there are several spots like this on my Bonnet. Mine is HHB too.
    When you run your fingers on the surface, you can feel that there is no paint in that area, kind of like what happens to the paint when 10's of small stones hit it at high speed and damage the paint.

I've had this for 4-5 months now. Noticed it for the first time a few days after my first service. There were a few swirl marks on the bonnet then and the guys at Condorde Hyderabad did some polishing of the bonnet area only (exactly the area that has these spots) and i thought these probably occurred due to that polish. Paint on the rest of the car is intact. Since it was already a couple of weeks since i got the service done then, didn't think i had enough proof to prove to them that it was their polish that caused this.

Whats the manufacturing month of your car? Did you use any polish recently. Not that every polish might cause problems since i regularly use F1 carnauba wax without any issues.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Exactly how i feel as well...

Its been well over 4-5 months since i polished .. I used to use Aromorall wax and polish (But i remember seeing these even before I started polishing, i think)..
    These days(from the past 4 months I've only been waxing my car with EagleOne, no polish)

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

Also if its a paint issue, do we get warranty on that? The warranty on paint like Ferrariscdr said is given for 3 yrs....
    Any ideas on this
  7. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Did you try to remove one of them using a Quick Detailer?
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Quick detailer?
    Whats that?
  9. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
  10. Ferrariscdr

Ferrariscdr Amatore

Karnataka
    In my car too there is very small needle point mark at one place which appears like there is no paint and white primer is visible...but its very minor and it has happened after i bought the car home. I did a thorough inspection during delivery and pre delivery and nothing was there that time...so it could be because of stone chips hitting the surface...but in your case it looks like some problem with paint finish job...if the car is in warranty then you can ask FIAT to do it for no cost...

I too use F1 carnauba wax and its best and safest to use it since it doesn't contain any silicon or any other chemical. I was using sonax and new buck paint polish but all of them contain silicon..