1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

whistling and grinding sound while braking

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by vipinpradeep, Jul 23, 2014.

1. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

my 2011 dec Linea has clocked 24600kms..for last 2 months im having a problem that im hearing a hissing/whistling sound from the front RH tyre while braking.

i visited SC and they cleaned the brake pads and for 1-2 days it was ok,then again the sound has come.

last week i again visited SC and they told that brake pad has been worn out, and changed the same.again the sound had gone for 1-2 days..after that while my drive to Cochin i faced another problem that a grinding sound from from RH side while braking,both in parking speed and normal driving along with this whistling sound.

after my trip i again visited th SC and they told there were scratches on brake discs and they skimmed it from lathe.after this i can feel the grinding sound in a very minimal level,that the SA couldn't feel.and the whistling sound also comes very occasionally also in a minimal level
    any one experienced such a problem??pls help

P.S : i have changed the brake discs twice in warranty period due to steering wobbling while braking.last time changed was on december 2013 and i had driven only around 5500kms after that.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I was about to say check brake discs, but since you already changed twice, that should not be an issue.
    Try to show to some other service center.
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Linea T-Jet
    A very low but audible whistling sound comes from my ride too since day one. Have got it checked during first free check up. They told not to worry as it may be due to dust.
    There is no problem in braking.
    Grinding noise, I am unaware of.
  4. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

the SC guys are also saying that the grinding noise may be coming from the brake pad/brake discs.because those are the only things in that area which could possibly make that sound..
    im sure that its not from suspension..because its coming only when im applying brakes...
  5. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

I get the grinding noise after 1 hr of driving in heavy traffic and continuous braking. The grinding noise isn't there in the beginning of the drive everyday. This has been observed in my Punto as well. I am used to it and as it doesn't affect the braking power I am fine with it as well.
  6. naruf1

naruf1 Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    I had some grinding noise as well. When I took it to SC, they checked the tie rod and that was found bit loose, got that tightened and after which never observed the grinding noise. Is the noise generated only while braking or while braking and making a turn on the steering wheel as well? Note: This was after the 1st service around 5000 kms.
  7. vipinpradeep

vipinpradeep Amatore

yeah initially it was noticed while braking and making a turn..is that because of the tie rod is loose??

- - - Merged Post - - -

same situation here also...so shall i neglect it and keep on using my car?
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014