1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Whirlwind trip to Kanchipuram, Vellore from Bangalore

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by raj29, Nov 23, 2012.

1. raj29

raj29 Superiore

As part of my pending annual leaves, I had taken a week’s leave. But I had nothing planned and hence was lazing at home without anything specific to do. Then one day my mom reminded me that I had told her that I would take her to Vellore Sripuram Golden temple. That was a good idea instead of me lazing at home boring myself. This was on Thursday evening. Decided to go the next day morning but wanted to see the temple in the lights as lots of people have told me that the temple looks very good in the lights. So planned to visit the Golden temple during the evening hours and hence was in a thought whether to start early morning and if so are there any other places around that can be seen and how long it would take!!

Then while browsing the net I read that Kanchipuram was at a closer proximity, hence decided to visit Kanchipuram first and then go to Vellore.

The itinerary was decided as below
    Start @ 8am in the morning and go to Kanchipuram directly. Visit the below shortlisted places and then around 4pm start to Vellore and then return to Bangalore after seeing the Golden temple in lights.

Places to visit that were on the list:

Kanchipuram:
    Kamatchi Amman temple
    Ekambareshwar temple
    Kailasanathar temple
    Varadaraja Perumal temple

Vellore:
    Vellore Fort
    Sripuram Golden Temple
    Jalakandeswarar Temple

So on Friday 16th November’2012 my mother and I started @ 8:30am after breakfast and took the below route to Kanchipuram. I stay in Whitefield so the closest route out of the city is via Hosakote.

Whitefield --> Hosakote --> Kolar --> Mulbagal --> Chittoor --> Kothapalli --> Thiruvallam --> Ranipet --> Wallajah --> Kanchipuram

Directly went to Kamatchi Amman temple, reached @ 12:30pm
    There were considerable amount of devotees and by the time we had darshan of the deity and came out of the temple it was 1:15pm. The temples here close @ 1pm and reopen @4pm.
    So we came to know that no more darshan would be possible but went ahead to Ekambareshwar temple. The temple arena was open, however the main temple where the deity resides was closed for darshan. So just went around the temple arena and came out to the car parking.

As the darshan was no more possible, we decided to have lunch and then move to Vellore. This was around 2:15pm. Went to Saravana Bhavan restaurant and had south Indian lunch. Had a hard time finding parking at this place as it was lunch time and there were multiple hotels/restaurants on this road hence resulting a higher vehicular traffic. Finally found a parking, parked the vehicle and entered the restaurant to have lunch. All the items were steeply priced, we had south Indian meal with unlimited rice. This was priced at INR 185 per person!!
    Finished our lunch and started our journey to Vellore.

Road conditions from Hosakote to Kanchipuram --> Distance = 260KMs --> FE = 23KMPL:
    The road till Mulbagal was in excellent condition, it was a 4 lane highway with minimal traffic. But the road condition after Mulbagal deteriorated drastically and was a narrow 2 lane highway with some stretches of good wide road (2 lane), but still it was easily manageable. Road condition after entering the Tamilnadu was better and road widening work was going on at multiple places. Entered the NH4 @ Wallajah toll and the roads were in very good condition but with patches all over (small pot holes kind of patches).

20121116_133257.jpg

20121116_133111.jpg

20121116_133044.jpg

20121116_132402.jpg

20121116_130956.jpg

20121116_130821.jpg

20121116_130816.jpg

Started from Kanchipuram around 3:30PM and reached Vellore Fort @ 4:15PM. Fort complex is surrounded by water body, designed as part of security planning I think :). The fort also has the Jalakandeswara temple inside the fort campus. The temple looked very well maintained and the deity here is worshiped regularly with good number of devotees coming to the temple. The fort campus looks to be good evening walk or time pass place for the locals. Went to the temple, did darshan of the deity and then had a stroll around the fort walls. Didn’t find much which could interest us to spend more time here.

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7147.jpg

IMG_7143.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

IMG_7139.jpg

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7137.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg

IMG_7135.jpg

IMG_7134.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

Then @ 4:45PM started towards Sripuram Golden Temple. Reached there around @ 5PM, there were some road repair works happening at one place on this route and had to take small deviations and go from inside the colony roads.

Parked the vehicle and secured the mobile phone and camera, then purchased the darshan and Gopooja tickets. Had to walk some distance to get a glimpse of the golden temple. One has to follow the Star like path laid out to reach the golden temple (half star path to reach the golden temple and the rest to exit). The car parking costs INR 50 and the Pooja tickets costs INR 600 for both of us. I was told that the darshan ticket costs 250 per head. By the time we finished the Pooja, darshan and reached the car parking it was 8 PM. No Photography allowed inside the campus!!

Started from Vellore @ 8:15PM and reached Bangalore @ 00:00AM. Grabbed vegMC @ MCdonald @ Formum valuemall for dinner.

Route taken
    Vellore --> towards SH122 --> then joined the NH4 --> Ambur --> Vaniyambadi --> Krishnagiri --> Hosur --> Silkboard --> Marathalli --> Whitefield

Road Conditions from Kanchipuram to Vellore to Whitefield, Bangalore --> Distance = 314
    From Kanchipuram to Vellore it’s the NH4 and is a good road but with lots of patches of small pot holes (bumpy ride).
    Within the Kanchipuram and Vellore cities the road conditions were good.
    From Vellore Sripuram to the point till joining NH4 (not going toward the Vellore city) the road is a narrow 2 lane SH with manageable roads. The NH4 is good but with some small patchy pot holes till a little before Ambur. From Ambur the road condition is good but lots of 6 lane road widening/construction happening hence resulting in lots of deviations. But the deviations are well marked and well laid and don’t slow you down much.

Total distance covered = 574.2 KM
    Final FE = 21.5 KMPL

As always waiting for your wonderful comments :-D
    Have some more pictures, will post them soon.

4 people like this.
  2. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    i had taken the same route when i went to kanchipuram & sripuram. That was my first high way drive on punto.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Some caption to the pictures would have been more enjoyable. :)

Did you visit Kailasanathar Temple? If you don't know, Kailasanathar temple is declared as the world heritage site by UNESCO. This is a must see in Kancheepuram.
  4. raj29

raj29 Superiore

More Pics

Yeah i agree captions would be better. I just tried to divide the Kanchipuram and Vellore pics :)
    I didn't visit the Kailasanathar Temple, i could only manage to go to Kamatchi Amman temple and Ekambareshwar temple. Kailasanathar Temple was on my list to visit but because the temples closed @ 1 PM and wouldn't open till 4PM i moved to Velore!!

Posting some more pictures from the trip

Another view of the Vellore fort
    IMG_7163.jpg

Road in TN
    IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7117.jpg

Roads after Mulbagal and in AP
    IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7099.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

Beautiful Hosakote - Mulbagal strech
    IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

Another view of the Jalakandeswara temple from the Fort Wall
    IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

The Chennai Toll road after Walajah toll
    IMG_7119.jpg

FE Figures
    Initial FE figures just after entering the single roads.

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7108.jpg

Final FE Figures
    IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7175.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

IMG_7177.jpg