1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Which is more reliable and durable? T-Jet or Multijet

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by aruncep, Aug 29, 2013.

1. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    I am really confused between T-Jet and Multijet. I am not worried about the economics part of it. But I am worried about the reliability and durability of these. I am not sure which one is more reliable and durable.

I do travel around 35 KMs a day and around 50 KMs during weekend. Once or twice in a quarter I will plan for longer trips which can be around 2000KMs per trip.

Since I will be investing close to 10L I will be keeping this with me for a longer time say for around 6 - 8 Years. Since I will be using it for a longer period I wanted to know which one, T-Jet or Multijet, will be more reliable and durable.

Looking forward to hear all the expert advices on this.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

You cannot go wrong with both. Your usage suggests a Multijet. T-Jet would be more fun on highways.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Both can't go wrong. If I were you, I would go for T-Jet with eyes closed.

Then T-Jet it is. :D
    1 person likes this.
  4. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    I really want to enjoy the fun part of the t-jet on highways. I read somewhere that turbo charged petrol engines gets heated up much faster than turbo charged diesel engines. This made me think whether I will be torturing a t-jet on my longer drives.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The Multijet has already proven itself in the Indian market. We are yet to see ownership reviews of high mileage T-Jets , the ones which have crossd 1 lakh + km, so any opinion related to that would involve a fair bit of conjecture.

If you ask me, you can't go wrong with either. I do believe that the T-Jet is as stout an engine as the Multijet when it comes to long term reliability.

As you are comfortable driving either of the two financially, i'd suggest T-Jet.

Cheers.

The highway is the natural hunting ground of both the T-Jet and the Multijet. The "tiny" 1248cc Multijet comes into it's own when the roads open up. :)

Not at all. Run it till the tank runs dry. Fill it up and empty the tank again non stop. I can guarantee you this.
    4 people like this.
  6. aruncep

aruncep Amatore

Chennai
    Even my mind is also with T-Jet..... Still waiting to hear more from others....
  7. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Did you drive both the vechicles? Whats your opinion about that? How each cars (Diesel, Petrol) is performing in turbo lag, turbo boost, driving fun, cornerings, etc. factors?

If economics/fuel price dilemma is not the point of concern then its falls down to other part of the factors: i.e Horse power, post buy maintainence, driving dynamics, etc.

I think Diesel cars are bit heavier than petrol counter parts and if its true, then it holds same in Linea too. So may be this will add more towards the driving dynamics, handling and mileage factors.

So you could think in that angle and take a decision.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    I own a Linea T-jet+ and Punto MJD (75 HP). Can't comment on reliability as they both are less than 18 months old. Still, I expect them to hold well. (Keeping my fingers crossed about that :D) In terms of fun to drive, T-jet is head and shoulders above the MJD. Now, Linea MJD has more power than the 75 HP I have in Punto but it also carries more weight so, the performance figures won't be too far from the Punto.

This might explain my love for the T-jet. My T-jet has clocked 21K Kms in 18 months and the Punto has clocked 7K Kms in 11 months. :) If fuel price is not a concern, then go for the T-jet. You won't regret the decision.
    1 person likes this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Bro, the 75HP loses breath after 100~120 ish speeds. On the 90HP/MJD Linea, that's were the fun starts. And the sink in the seat feeling you get on the 90HP/MJD Linea is nowhere near the turbo-kick present on the 75HP. Trust me, I have spend days in two different workshops trying to sort out a problem with the 75HP, which was not even a problem in the first place, just because I was so used to the VGT's kick. :)

Having said this, I do agree that a T-Jet is much more fun than the MJD Linea. Another point to note is, that the new T-Jets do not have that turbo-kick feeling evident, as in the older Jets, as Fiat has tuned the new models that way. Nevertheless, T-Jet=Super fun.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Biraj

Biraj Novizio

Ghaziabad
    Linea T-Jet
    I am sure you can understand why my Punto clocks lesser miles. :D I haven't driven the VGT on highway for extended period but it definitely is a better choice for highway drives than the FGT.

I haven't driven the 2013 T-jet yet but if the turbo-kick is missing, then I am glad that I own the older version. Will test drive it when I take the Punto for its second service.

Arun - It's difficult to differentiate b/w the two engines based on reliability. Ideally, nothing should go wrong and (god-forbid) if something goes wrong, you always have the 3 years warranty (+2 years if extended gets honoured). So it all boils down to how much you enjoy driving the T-jet or MJD. All the best with your decision!
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.