1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Which hatchback which sedan

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by theblack, Apr 13, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi all,

A cousin of mine wants to buy a car (sedan/hatchback). He is looking for a diesel car only.
    Hatchback price range = 6-8L
    Sedan price =<=10L

I love FIATs and have suggested it to a lot of my friends but my cousin is middle aged and not the sort who wants to visit A.S.S at the drop of a spring noise or gearbox noise or seat belt twisted issues..
    He does not do too much of highway driving.
    may be a 70/30 split between city/highway would be a safe bet.

My choices...
    fluidic verna: pretty nice but coming from a fiat i just feel that ,that car is full of plastic , a toddler can move the car around (you must feel the doors , they are so modest)
    new Fiesta :handles great , a bit pricey but manageable but the design is sad.. (Looks like its been rear-ended by a truck always)
    new Swift :Not very keen on the design again but its definitely VFM and Maruthi's A.S.S is fabulous. I hear its a good car to drive as well not really driven it till now though.
    Polo : looks are good , But I have no experience with VW ever..

My choice from the above is definitely "The polo"
    But I dont know how there A.S.S is and how much the parts cost so on...
    Any opinions would be helpful.

Also he's ready to wait for a few months if anything better is going to come by.
    please suggest.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Also add Ertiga its MUV... ::D
  3. nithin.v

nithin.v Amatore

Hi
    From online ownership reports it seems A.S.S of VW is comparable to Fiat.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    No ertiga, this time at least.
    Enough of people carriers we've had in our family :)

Sad to know vw is as good as fiat is..
    well then that leaves me with NO car :)
    now that's interesting.
  5. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Diesel Hatchback has limited choice with only Punto, Swift and i20 being 4 cylinder engines. Polo, Beat, Fabia are 3 pots.
    Sedan, I would say Linea any day followed by Skoda Rapid.
  6. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    In diesel hatchbacks: Punto is the best I think. No. 2 would be Figo and then Marutis MJD offerings.

In Sedans: I would say there is no clear winner. VW TDI is considered the ONE performance wise in the segment. But their cars - I know about the Vento and I presume regarding the Rapid - have seriously low seating, under-thigh support and seat width. Linea has the best interiors - meaning space, seating and looks etc., but loses out relatively with a higher turbo lag and lower torque.

BTW: Is Fiat really so bad as far as visiting the workshop is concerned? My experience (TJet) has been quite ok till now. Haven't noted anything way different from a Maruti (with Maruti definitely not being better) IMHO.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2012
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The thing is Fiat is something where you have small niggles here and there.
    I mean there are no failures as such but small issues here and there that require expert help.
    Apart from that some spares are really hard to come by even now and you should plan pretty carefully so that you procure parts in advance of its requirements ;)
    I dont mind doing that but my cousin does as he is middle aged now.

Finally to put everything to rest..
    Fiat i feel is like you're year old toddler. you can't stand the tantrums they throw.. But the moment someone tries to take them away you would kill them
    1 person likes this.