1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Which Hatch Punto/Polo/Swift/Micra ?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by yzfrj, Sep 9, 2010.

?

Which Car

1. Swift

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Micra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Punto

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Polo

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfrj

yzfrj

Cochin
    This one escaped my field of view. Another one to chase now.
    Ford is known for expensive service, will this be true for Figo too ?
    Hmmm... So its gonna be RF again. Not too thrilled to go there.
    I'd have gone for the Punto if it was truly an exceptional car.
    Sadly I don't see me jumping in joy. I'd rather live with a rattling swift. MUL Service is awesome.

Should I drop the hatch and get a Sedan ?
    VFM would be a Manza but Tata :punch

Linea is not really blowing the skirt up.

Go with the saner choice of Swift or take a risk and get a Polo ?
    Punto does't seem to live up to the hype.

EDIT :

Would you like to substantiate your claims ? All the other cars have similar or better "bells and whistles"
    FE I don't think is a strong point for Punto. Not that FE is a deal breaker. Swift is good FE and A.S.S wise
    And rattles are a way of life :evilsmile

Polo is underpowered ? Does't seems so on paper. Yet to drive one.
    But to be fair, Maruti has done a better job of tuning the Multijet than Fiat.
    So power figures on paper and the real world are different things.

Point is simple Fiat figures are not so good on paper.
    I can only guess how it is in the real world.

Also 5 years down the road, all the cars in question would have better resale value than Punto. (Comparing past fiat models Palio, Siena etc..)
    I don't fancy loosing money just for the sake of style.
    Have to admit punto is one good looking car (on the outside)
  2. Vroom

Vroom Amatore

Mumbai
    If its between Swift / Polo, I would suggest go for Swift. Since its for your in-laws, who I presume are not really young, go with the Swift for peace of mind.

Thanks,
    Vroom
  3. NAREN64

NAREN64

COIMBATORE
    yzfrj,

I was in the same dilema in November 2009, whether to go for Fiat(Linea) or Honda(ANH City), took the risk & bought Fiat Linea, inspite of all the bashing that was done to Fiat in other Forum's. Till date my Linea MJD has run for 14.5k kms in a span of 9 months. So far so good.

People are assuming that the after sales service is bad & Fiat does not mind about all other things bla bla bla., but I find it the opposite so far. There might be one of cases wherein the service is bad, or the car has problems, but it is with all the car manufacturers & service centers, why only Fiat.

I would request you to go ahead with the purchase Grande Punto it is Value For Money. ::D
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    I would have suggested Vista, best back seat comfort, period! But you have ruled out Tata. Out of the choices, the fight :boxer is actually between Punto 1.2 E and Polo. Swift backseat comfort is nothing to feel good about, and those rattles in tight sitting will not be a good idea. Micra, cute looking, yet, unproven. :confused

I can see you have worries majorly about A.S.S. Why are you thinking about RF? In Kochi and Chennai, Concorde has been doing a fantastic job IMHO. I do not know what were your uncle's expectations from Punto and why is he disappointed, but in my last one year of ownership, I have never had a reason to be disappointed. :clapping

Cost of ownership between Punto and Polo is also an interesting thing. Polo doesn't have any free service but you buy an AMC (18K for 3yrs and I think 34K for 4yrs; including cost of POL and labor). Punto on the other hand has a service bill: Ist year : Zero, 2nd year 4.5-5k, 3rd year 4.5.5k and so on for fourth year. This in addition to 2+2 yrs warranty.

Agreed Punto had many niggles, but all have been cured FOC by Fiat.

If A.S.S is a deterrent for you, I don't see how it can be a surety for you in case of Nissan and VW. Maruti has the best wide-spread network, but service center attitudes are at par with rest.

Resale value after five years is more of a ho-hum. None of us here are in a position to predict the future of any company. In next 2-5 years, any one of them could go bust. If it helps, I was able to sell my 11yrs old Uno for 1lac; so there goes the reasoning about poor resale value.

In the end, it is your money and you are the best judge about how and where to spend it. I just listed my thoughts. :redcar
  5. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So it seems that your priorities are Maintenance cost and ease of service.
    Yes, it makes sense to do so as well since the car has to be used by your In-Laws and would be Chauffeur driven too.

Also, they had a bad experience with TATA and your uncle is not happy with Punto. That rules out the Punto at first place itself.

I guess the best option for you is the VW Polo(VW's reliable badge and premium feel with quality) followed by Swift(reliabilty of MASS network and the performance rocket).

Punto scores in terms of Gizmos only. Mature people want something premium in terms of interiors which Punto will not be able to provide. Features like Blue&Me are of no use in Chauffeur driven cars :car

If you want a sedan and have the budget, I would recommend you Vento(It has everything offered by Polo plus more space at the back and a more comfortable back seat.
  6. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

Pune
    Exactly my thoughts. Tata Indica Vista.
  7. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I guess most agree that the choices of car itself are wrong in the first place. So no point comparing them.

The car with good rear seat comfort (After the Vista) : is the Chevrolet U-VA. I know it's not a seller : but the car does have really good rear seat comfort and leg space.

With GM's 3 / 5 year service plan (I dont know the exact details) : maintenance should not be a problem.

Considering it's a chauffer driven car : Even Figo is ruled out. The rear seat comfort is not the best.

If it has to be a hatchback : I will insist on Vista or U-VA. Else go for an entry level sedan.

Another suggestion : be on the lookout for an year old Hyundai Accent. I am willing to bet : you will get a good deal !!
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Going by the requirements, I'd say go for the i20. It satisfies both the criteria you want - back seat comfort and hassle free ownership. Do note that the i20 is known for less then satisfactory A/C performance and a rattleing steering. Both are known issues so do watch out for them.

If you can take a bit of hassle in the ownership area, I would recommend you to buy the Mahindra Logan. Nothing is better in rear seat comfort and ride quality then this car!
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My friend has i20 and I don't think there is any noticeable difference in Rear seat comfort between i20 and Punto.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.