1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Which car is best one for first time owner with less driving skills?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by testdrive, May 4, 2012.

1. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Chennai
    Hi Team,</SPAN>
    I am very happy to be a part of this TeamFiat community, I am planning to buy a new car for my family, I am from Chennai. And I am planning for diesel car even though my requirements matches petrol car. Since I am bit worried of every day raising petrol cost. I need your comments/suggestions on following. </SPAN>

My concerns
    1. My plan is get diesel car. </SPAN>
    2. Good mileage and low maintenance.</SPAN>
    3. Budget is for diesel not more than 6-7lak and for petrol car not more than 5 lack (i am going for loan)</SPAN>
    4. I am not good at driving (I have license but I can rate myself 3/10, I have planned to go for driving class to improve)</SPAN>
    5. My wife will also learn driving and soon she will be able to handle this new car.</SPAN>
    6. I don’t have car parking facility in my apartments.</SPAN>
    7. Low NVH.</SPAN>
    8. It’s for my 6 months old baby. (safety also in my mind, Due to my poor driving skills :A)</SPAN>
    9. Monthly travel will be less than 1000. I have some plan for long travel (Occasionally yearly 1 or 2)</SPAN>
    10. It should capable of boarding 5 people.</SPAN>
    11. ASS at least 60% happy, I am ready to mange remaining 40% service worries.</SPAN>
    12. I am planning to keep my first dream car at least for 10 years.(if it is a diesel)</SPAN>
    13. Some decent audio system, I have plans to upgrade with some thunder feel speakers/amplifiers after a year or 2. </SPAN>
    My selections
    Diesel car
    1) Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Dynamic
    • 95% finalized and ready to take risk of TATA ASS. No other car having these many features. Fiats engine is best.</SPAN>
    • Is Punto suitable for my driving experience? (Concern #4 and #5), but I am confident on my learning. I have same experience with my bike purchase. When I bought my first bike, I am at ground 0 level of driving experience. But after a month, I learnt and now I upgraded my bike from 125cc discover to Yamaha FZ. Is this attitude help?</SPAN>
    • Is NVH level is low/high/medium? Planning to go for test drive, not now after a week or 2.</SPAN>
    • Is audio system is good and practical? (concern #13)</SPAN>
    • I am from Chennai, Pallikarani. Is there any good sale/service nearby? I have one TAFE near to my place (only sales) and concorde motors at velechery. Please provide your suggestions.</SPAN>
    2) Beat diesel LT (not LT (O))</SPAN>
    - Heart says go for it 70% finalized but still Punto is the winner of my heart and head.</SPAN>
    - Kivraj service is nearby my location (OMR near life line hospital)</SPAN>
    - Compact and I think, this car will address my concern #6</SPAN>
    I am keeping petrol and diesel car as option since I have worried about #4,#6,#7
    </SPAN>
    Petrol Cars

My priority goes as given below.
    1) EON
    2) Alto K10
    3) Spark
    4) Beat LT
    5) Estilo zen</SPAN>
    Now it’s your time to help us to find a dream car for my family/little angel, I hope now I can sleep well.</SPAN>
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Punto dynamic is my choice. Even active also you can consider if you are planning for any modification later.
    Out of all petrol cars I will choose any day alto k10 because it is peppy and enough power to overtake easily.
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    1. Beat is about 50 Hp and the Punto is 75 HP. What is the price difference?
    2. Punto is THE best looking hatch in India and Beat is THE ugliest looking hatch in India
    3. I have no clue about the ride and handling of Beat but I know it's got the highest mileage figures in diesel hatchbacks. The ride and handling in Punto is beyond comparison except that side of 15-20 lakhs
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    The deal breaker for me would be point no. 12. If you are planning to keep the car for 10 long years, its none other than a Fiat. Just go for it. If you are planning to keep the car for 2-3 years to learn driving and have plan to upgrade it, its Beat all the way (Note:- My first car was Palio and I learned driving in Palio). Its also good car only for City.

But, remember that Beat is no comparison to Punto. I can put Beat in A2 segment. Whereas Punto is a B2 segment car (2 segments above Beat). Punto is equipped with 4 cylinder 1.3 Litre MJD engine. Beat is equipped with the 3 cylinder version of the same MJD of Fiat. Punto's Engine is better refined and NVH is way ahead than the Beat.

Any more questions, please let us know.
  5. testdrive

testdrive Amatore

Chennai
    Thanks everyone for your quick reply.

@sungoa2010 : Yes I can go-ahead with active and upgrade later, however dynamics with ABS and other options /features are deal breakers.

@ramjn, what’s your option as per my driving skills? shall I go-ahead with Punto or first I will go with small budget car learn driving then plan for punto. Which is practical? This is the question, never allow me to sleep.
  6. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

you can consider Honda Brio and Honda jazz also...although however if you want to go for diesel then nothing beats Fait Punto....
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is the best plan. One of my friend recently purchased an alto from maruti true value, they accepted to take it back after 3 months for 15,000/- less than what he paid at the time of purchase provided there are no damages to the car. Now he is learning on that one, ofcourse, after having 2 rounds of full driving school sessions.

You can practice driving on that one,if you do like him, master then return it.

15,000/- is very less when compared to the piece of mind it gives.IMHO.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is always a million dollor question. First learn and then buy a good car or learn in a good car itself. Honestly, it is not going to take more than couple of weeks to learn driving. For this reason, I don't advice to get a car only to learn driving. Since you have plan to retain the car for 10 years, you should stick to buying a Punto directly and then develop your driving skills in a Punto. Believe me, Punto will teach you how to drive her. It will teach you about dynamics, Handling, Ride quality, Steering feedback and so on.

If you plan to buy a Fiat in Chennai, the best place to buy is Concorde, Guindy. Meet Mr. Raman there.
    2 people like this.
  9. sanfiat

sanfiat Amatore

Faridabad, Haryana
    faridabad Haryana
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi,

No knew car is gud to risk drivig if u r not very confident. Buying a sparkling piece and then seeing a few scrapes now an dthen can be very painful. Punto scores over beat and company anyday. BUT if i were shelling out that kinda money fora new car, i wud buy a used car at a pretty low price, (prefferabely a maruti as it can be resold easily), hone my skills for 6-7 months or so and then buy a punto over beat. I swera seeing a new car with injuries is very very painful......
    Drive a new car, once u r confident to handle it. I'm not trying to discourage u but then wud u lend your PUNTO to someone who says his driving is 3/10?...be a bit patient, get fluent on a used vehicle and then zip around in your PUNTo. But then this is just a personal opinion......keep us posted
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    @testdrive: you can go for the Punto right away. When I bought my Punto in May 2011, I had just learnt how to drive. I had yet to practice on a car for any length of time. Let me tell you, a year down the line, not only did I manage to drive properly both on the highway and in city traffic but also managed to keep the car absolutely scratch-free (touch wood) for one whole year.