1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Which Car Did You Learn To Drive In?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by J Ravi, Apr 10, 2011.

1. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

I learnt driving in-house in my late dad's Standard Herald in the late 1960s. I didn't join any driving school. My maternal uncle, who was just 4 years elder than me, was my guru.

My dad, who was a disciplinarian, didn't allow me to touch the wheel of his brand new two-door sedan, Herald that he had bought for Rs 16,000+ from Union Motors, Mount Road, Madras. However, he used my services for washing the car! But, my uncle helped me clandestinely and taught me the first lessons of car driving in the absence of my dad.

Herald used to be manufactured in India by Standard Motors Products with its plant located at Vandalur near Madras. In UK, it was known as Standard Triumph.

I liked the reserve lever on the petrol tank in the boot, just like the ones provided in the two-wheelers. When Herald comes to a grinding halt due to lack of fuel, we had to operate the lever manually so that the reserve fuel would start flowing in. Our gray Herald looked cute with her all white-walled tyres, which were a fashion statement on those days. It had powerful and bright headlamps of Lucas-TVS brand.

Later, my dad replaced his Herald with FIAT 1100 Delight, which was the first FIAT in our family.:) However, I used to feel a bit nervous while changing the gear, mounted on its steering column. Once, while we were on a tour, a stone hit the petrol tank, completely draining the precious petrol. Only when our FIAT came to a grinding halt, did we come to know about the tragedy!

On the whole, both were nice cars I enjoyed driving.

Now, fellow-members can share their learning experience here.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. FIAT Premiere Padmini :D
  3. royj

royj Esperto

My learning was on driving school vehicles. There were 3-4 Ambassador Mark II and one Trekker. One of the ambi had a long and lousy steering play and I could never figure out where the car was headed to, While I really enjoyed driving the Trekker.
    First car at our home was Premier Padmini.
  4. PAL 118NE(still own it) and Opel Astra(sold off)
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

FIAT Premier Padmini... I still remember the day... I just drove it on my own.. even without any guidance... I used to observe dad driving the car...
  6. Axn

Axn Regolare

It was my uncles Premier Padmini, on which i had my first driving lessons. But my real baptism was surely by fire. I was taught driving by a driver of mine, in Manali on a Maruti Gypsy. The usual route was Manali-Solang-Dhundhi and Manali-Rohtang-Sissu road. He also put me to a test. He said, "Sir, Market se Hadimba le ke chalo par kahin back gear nahin lagana". This was 25 years ago. People who know Manali of those days would know wht I am talking about.
  7. obliex

obliex Amatore

Hyundai Santro ... My first car in my Second Job ....
  8. it was a gypsy and a zen,,,,,,,,,,,,it was a rally modified gypsy
  9. Although my dad owned a FIAT 1100 and an Omni, I was not allowed to drive them as my dad was certain I will bash the car somewhere. My Dad's official driver was quite friendly with me and taught me how to drive in a Mahindra Major while I was in my 7th standard :p.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  10. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Fiat Premier Padmini. still drives beautifully.