1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

When should I change the tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by saharsh, Jul 29, 2012.

1. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    My Linea is now at just 33k mark in three years.we're planning to change the tyres within 6 months. So,
    How much life would be left in the tyres?
    Were also planning to upgrade the suspension and up the ground clearance and fit the T-JET turbine Alloys.
    Please answer to my queries.

Thanks in Advance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    MODS NOTE - Thread title edited :)
    1 person likes this.
  3. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    Any suggestion guys?
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Saharsh, tyres are not changed on the basis on Kms covered but on the basis of the tread depth left in the tyres based on inspection. Post some pics of your tires please.

- Tyre wear and tear is more in city driving than on highways. It also depends on the driving techniques and aggressiveness of the driver i.e. sudden accelerations and sudden braking, cornering, higher speed turns etc.

- A typical enthusiast can run out the tyres in 20000km whereas a conservative driver can extract 40000km to even 50000km from the tyres.

- Tyre wear and tear also depends upon the tyre brand. Some tyre brands and makes last longer than others.

In general:
    It is time to change tyres when you feel that the grip of the car is not to your confidence. Treads will seem to be almost wearing out. In case you take a bit sharp turn, tyres will make screeching noise/skidding noise because of lower grip.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    The rule is very simple for every tyre in the world today..
    If the thread depth is 1.6mm or lesser "It has to be changed right away

But by the time the depth reaches 1.6mm you would have already begun to compromise on the tire's structural integrity, its grip .
    So my advice would be to start looking when you have about 2.5-2.8mm depth so that you will find the perfect one to buy before it reaches 2.2-2.3mm
    (Unless you simply want to pick up the tires off the shelf )
    1 person likes this.
  6. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    If you keep the suspension kit it will bring you 185 + TJEt alloys is 16 inch which totally brings you to 190mm, which i feel not good at all .

As yours is old suspension which is softer if you keep tjet alloys it will damage it sooner. Tjet suspension is stiff like the new upgrade ones which you are speaking abt.

Better have the upgrade Kit + same wheels or after market ones with new Tyres from Michelin,Bridgestone or you want performance oriented go for Yoko.. you can see in changing tyres thread for more options. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. I don't know if the GC kit is only harder for Linea, but my punto feels little better dampened than before but not hard or softer than ealier kit.
    1 person likes this.
  8. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    good if you are satisfied , but for tjet alloys it crosses the fiat limit 185 to 190 mm , i do accept in punto 1.2 is 195 mm but that must be some modified suspension from current one , the height was my concern ...
    2 people like this.