1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

When do you tank up your car?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by caffeineam, Jan 4, 2013.

?

When do you tank up your car?

1. When fuel warning light is on

52.9%
  2. When fuel level is at half tank or lower on the console

31.4%
  3. Ignore the console and go by KM readings close to empty

5.0%
  4. Ignore the console and go by KM readings at half tank or lower

3.3%
  5. Randomly

7.4%
  1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    We have all relied on our gauges for years. It's unfortunate some stray incidents happened.

I do not keep track of how many kilometres covered. But i keep checking the movements of the fuel gauge needle/ temperature gauge needle very often as a matter of habit , a hangover from the days when temp gauge needles used to move around quite a lot depending on the conditions and your driving style.

If either of them do anything funny, that sets off my alarm bells. :evilsmile
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Not too sure about this. Logically, the point from where the fuel is sucked in would be at the lowest point. Agreed it may not be flush with the floor of the tank, which would explain the 2-3 lts of unusable fuel, but it would be low for sure. Given the road and traffic conditions, I am sure the fuel in the tank is not going to stay still enough for the dirt to settle to the floor and more importantly, stay there. Isn't that why we have fuel filters?

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  3. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @patchboy

Fuel filters are to separate water i guess and filter out, or trap, debris particles and/or contaminants from flowing fuel.Keeping in mind that fuel filters can't trap miniscule or particles that are in microns or so.So it's better to not drive in reserve i feel,also a good practise as a reminder to tank up everytime your car hits the reserve!
  4. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    i tank my Punto when the needle is at the half way mark.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I refuel as soon as the needle touches 1/2 mark in city or if I find good bunks around, else the lowest level the car has seen is 1/3 mark.

Whatever the fuel gauge level is, I will fill at a good station only.
  6. i tank up my car within 5-6 kms from the start of the reserve light warning
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I usually fill when the fuel warning light comes on. When I refuel the tank swallows around 37-38 litres of fuel. But have seen that it can take another litre without spillage.
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I usually fill as soon as the low fuel light lits up.
  9. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have a bad habbit of maintainig a F level, even if the needle is in between full and 3/4th.... I like to see the needle flying high UP :D
    My usual service attender guy ask me first weather it's a Full tank or just a top up based on that they decide to towards the office to swipe the card or finish the filling process and then go :evilsmile
    1 person likes this.
  10. Himanshukumar

Himanshukumar Amatore

BANGALORE
    Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For me as soon as pointer cross 1/3 mark