1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

When do you tank up your car?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by caffeineam, Jan 4, 2013.

?

When do you tank up your car?

1. When fuel warning light is on

52.9%
  2. When fuel level is at half tank or lower on the console

31.4%
  3. Ignore the console and go by KM readings close to empty

5.0%
  4. Ignore the console and go by KM readings at half tank or lower

3.3%
  5. Randomly

7.4%
  1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    i initially used to let it run dry (well almost) before i went in for a fill..
    but someone gave me a valid explanation as to why i should not be doing that in modern cars.. (something to do with fuel pressure , vacuum or something like that).
    Ever since I've been filling up after the orange light pops up (usually a few kms after the light begins to glow).

Unless i'm driving on the highway i always fill up for 1000rs (in blr that gives me close to 1/2 tank) .
    I do this to prevent carrying excess weight in terms of fuel.. (nearly 20kgs) .. may not be much but its just a mindset
  2. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    If you can't go by the fuel gauge indicator or the reserve light in a car then why have it in the first place. Lets all go back to manually calculating fuel usage and carry dipsticks in our cars to check for remaining fuel in the tank!

The best mileage is got by filling the tank as soon as the reserve light comes on ( not the low fuel waning on the dash board )
    One should ideally not let the tank run dry as there are always contaminants and sediments at the bottom of the tank which come invariably with the fuel.
    If you want to tank up full you should not push in more fuel after the automatic sensor at the pump senses that the tank is full.
    I remember in the earlier days we would wait till the fuel settles down in the tank and some trapped air is released before refilling till the tank tops up.
    Besides being unnecessary with today"s automatics sensors at the filling stations it also results in spillage and wastage.

usually keeping the tank 3/4th is the best idea.

Also fuel is best filled when its cold ( Mornings and evenings rather than afternoon) as the viscosity of the fuel is more and hence there is lesser loss due to evaporation.
    Maybe the last point is a myth so do correct me if I'm wrong
    1 person likes this.
  3. The last point is not a myth...I try to follow this on long trips, in city I always end up filling fuel on hot afternoons. .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

I completely agree to this point and follow it religiously

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    In my T-Jet, I noticed that the low fuel warning comes on even before the reserve light glows, on my trip to Tirupathi. I was cruising along, when I heard a beep and saw the low fuel warning on the MID. I filled up almost immediately as there was a fuel station within the next couple of kms. The needle was a bit above the last notch on the gauge.

Rajan
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

What was the quantity of the fuel that went in?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    35 liters. It was in line with the expectation.

Rajan
  8. vijays777

vijays777 Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet

Then its correct 35 + 7 +3 reserve . Buy some times i too get beep But that de
    pends on car position toO like it may be in slant position
  9. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    I tank up when the amber/orange or the low fuel warning comes up i.e reserve.I feel thats the best way to calculate average!!

Usable fuel is 37liters.Auto cutoff always occurs at 37-38 for me on reserve.Reserve is 5liters and usable is 2 i guess.Better not the use the reserve fuel as all dirt would get accumulated in the fuel lines and then clog the injectors.
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  10. caffeineam

caffeineam Amatore

Mumbai
    Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like nobody "lives on the edge" and fills near empty by KM calculation :)

Though too early to call, it appears that most people are relying on their gauges and have not had issues which could mean there was a bad batch of level sensors out there perhaps?