1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Wheel Locking Issue while braking on Punto 90HP 2011

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by An!l, Jul 8, 2013.

1. An!l

Hi Guys,

I recently faced an issue where Left Rear Tire continues to remain Locked Up on my Puntp 90HP YOM 2011 when braked on a slightly loose surface at speeds around 5-10kmph, till it halts.
    As its the 90HP, ABS is Standard. So I am pretty sure the prolonged locking to be definately an issue.
    Though, the other wheels do not lock up. So I guess the the issue should not be with the ABS Unit but would be with something with the Brake Lining setting.

Request you to provide suggestions as to what could have gone wrong with the Braking.

2. jumu

jumu Superiore

I think you should not read too much into every issue. It will disappoint you every time. You yourself have pointed out that the problem is noticed on loose surface. Only if the surface is firm, will your braking also will be firm. Wherever there is looseness underneath the tyre, it is obvious the tyres will be unable to come to a halt. It is like marbles below. ABS is only an assist, not a guarantee. So enjoy your other wise nice ride.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  3. An!l

Thanks Abdul...I agree that ABS is an Assist but I am also pretty sure that the Wheels should Unlock for re-braking once Locked if its ABS Assisted. The Locking here continues till the car comes to a halt. Moreover, as mentioned above, no other wheel locks on the same loose surface. It is the left rear wheel only here. And this behaviour was observed just recently and never earlier while braking on such surfaces. I showed it to the ASS Guys(Even they drove and checked it) and they too mentioned it to be some Brake Lining setting issue.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Get it checked at Pandit just to be sure.

Having said that on muddy & slushy surfaces, the Linea too keeps sliding the front wheels when braking till I take the foot off the brake pedal. The ABS acts too sensitively in some situations.

5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How did you observed it ? i mean how did you reached to this point when you are a driver ?
    for me it was very hard to recognise the rear left tire punture, when recognised, almost done the damage :)
  6. An!l

@ Gurjinder: Yeah need to get it checked in any case but just wanted to have a few viewpoints. As mentioned by you, in the Linea you have seen this thing happening. Is it across the entire Line line up with ABS? I observed this thing happening with the 90 first time as I have been doing the late braking thing since quite long mostly on all kinds of surfaces.

@Ganges: Well I got to hear the tyre screeching on the loose surface and luckily had the both left windows down. And also I got to see those scratchy trail marks behind the Left Rear Wheel only. Then I asked a friend of mine to drive and brake and got the sight comprehended from the rear of the car.
    1 person likes this.
  7. renlouis

renlouis Amatore

Grande Punto 1.3
    An!l, have you got the issue corrected by FIAT A.S.S guys? If so, what was the reason?