1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Wheel alignment issues - Why cant Fiat fix it?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Fiatophile, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. From what i can see with the number of Fiats on the roads,the biggest Achiles heal according to me is the car eating up one of the tyres.Went to RDC Fiat along with a friend of mine to pick his car and of the 20-30 cars over there almost 80% of the cars had these problems.I mostly notice this with the Punto's and sadly on both the suspension configurations.Have read a lot of Fiat owners complain on this too.AFAIK the issue now is at the surface which means Short term impact -- Tyres.Long term impact -- Suspensions.

Why cant Fiat fix this?
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I thought the new models quality has been improved by FIAT and i hope they have taken this into account as well.
    I really wonder what feedback dealers give to FIAT for imprvements in their annual/bi annual meet. Damn!
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I don't think so this as a major issue. Wheel alignment should be checked after every 5k KMs in any car. That is not specific to FIAT.

If we missed the same the impact of this should reflect on the tyres straight a way.

If you are a frequent or regular traveler, you has to go for this regular checkups in any car.
  4. It is a major isssue with Fiat when car starts eating up the tire at left rear only ... and this problem has been faced by many people and Fiat dont have right answer for it , Example my Punto Car is lying in ASS from 15 days...:firey:firey
    And i have saw my Punto owner facing the same problem and its clearly a Manufacturing Defect.....:hit:hit
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    are you sure that the alignment and balancing has been done every 5K ?
    I religiously got this done and i didn't face any unevenness in my tyres 30kms run until which i changed them over to maxxis
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Talk about keyboard warriors!

To the OP - I did have the issue in my old GT3 especially on the rear left, However after having changed to PLC's I don't seem to have that issue. I've been getting alignment checked religiously every 5K at TAFE Reach or a reputed tire shop and don't seem to have a concerns regarding Alignment at all. Also on this very forum there aren't 80% of people complaining about Alignment!
    1 person likes this.
  7. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Have you done any tyre rotations earlier?
    If the tyre rotation was done then what was the shape of the tyres? Have you done the cross rotation of only front to rear rotations?

If the front tyre grip has been eaten due to the alignment which might missed by you has placed to the rear during rotation.
    And after few thousands of KM you might get this big eaten up tyre in your notice.

First let us know that you have done all about the alignments things earlier? Also how many kms you have completed with these tyres?
  8. Very rarely have i come across Wheel alignment being done for the rear!Is this something special Fiats doing now :rolleyes:???For all those advocating the 5k wheel alignment routine,can you please explain why almost all the cars have the rear left tyre being eaten up (IMO it is the positive camber) and how do you correct the Toe,caster and camber values (for the rear) This can benefit myself and the other 80% of who have this problem.
  9. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    First of all, alignment is done for the front wheels are our cars are front wheel drive. So rear alignment in all front wheel drive cars is not possible at all. It is done for all/ four wheel drive cars.

5K alignment is necessary to keep the life of tyre good. It's recommended.

Also if you have had a bad bump or run across a pot hole unexpectedly then also you have to check alignment.

A common observation for alignment check is 'car's pulling left or right on the plain surface road.'

Also the steering will become slightly harder & one can feel the difference.

Observing these issue if the cars runs without any alignment check will cause the eaten tyres.

There are the cases, when the tyre rotations are done during the servicing. For fiat the service intervals are 5K, 15K.

But there are some alignment issues in the new car which needs to be fixed by observations only. If not rectified earlier then this can be fixed in 5k service where the tyer has already started eating up from any side.

Also rotation can be done during this for the better ride quality. As the rear wheels doesn't requires any alignment, it's a normal practice to fit the front tyre to rear.
    The already eaten front tyre is not flat like other non eaten tyres.

So obviously, the eaten tyre will start eating the more due to uneven surface.

Here I'm not advocating 5K interval, But its good to have a check for the better life of our cars tyres. :)
    MODS: Please add any if I missed something or I'm wrong
    1 person likes this.
  10. Dear Rishikesh
    "
    WRONG! If you have had a major accident/damage to the rear it is mandatory to have rear alignment done,Imagine one wheel facing the opposite side of the other one or vice versa ;),also cars with rear Independent arm suspensions will need alignment done and finally if your car is old and all the suspension boots and bushes are old it makes perfect sense to get a alignment check.

Agree on all the other points you mentioned,but my question still remains un answered.Why the Punto's rear left/right tyre wear?:confused:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.