1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

what wire is that?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by shams, Sep 11, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    The below pic is from a friend's punto from my office's parking lot, when it wasn't starting today evening after which he called me.
    when i tried to start, there was check engine warning!

after this we opened the bonnet to see if we can make out anything when this was found.
    looks like rats have chewed the wire. wanted to know what wire (the blue one thats hanging) is that?

since my friend had an appointment at a hospital in he had to leave the car in office parking lot and will with plan of attending it tomorrow.

picture is of the area between the air filter cover and windscreen

Anyone has any idea??

2013-09-11 17.37.21.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    guys any guesses?
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

A side view would help rather than top, shams. It is raining now, else I could go out and pop the hood to check what's just above the fuel filter.

Car has to visit the A.S.S either way, whether we identify what wire that is or not. :)
  4. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    thanks for the response aditya.

actually we were thinking about connecting it with some spare wire and trying to start but maybe thats not advisable. otherwise it will have to be towed to SC
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    another picture to locate the area:
    Chanchal car.jpg
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    That's the wiring for the ECU. But, it is very difficult to tell which pin/socket got affected because of this damage. Don't do any jugaad method. Get assistance from FASS immediately.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I just checked in my car, it is the wire from ECU to some sensor in the engine block. As Ramesh said, no jugaad work will do, as ECU cannot be risked. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If it were my car, I would this - Take a piece of wire and connect the severed ends of the blue wire, insulate properly and all will be well. There will be a stored error in the ECU, which can be cleared.

In this case, call RSA, put the car on a flatbed and take to nearest FASS. They will do exactly what I would have done, add some issues and a couple of scratches, keep the car for 2 days and then give it back.

All the best to your friend.

Rajan

PS: Of course I will use a similar gauge wire, solder and heatshrink but cannot guarantee if the FASS will be that unprofessional.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  9. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I hope FASS will replace the entire wire at both ends with a new wire instead joining the existing one's with a piece of wire on either ends.
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I seriously doubt that. That wire is routed through the corrugated pipe and connected to the ECU. That would mean opening the ECU connectors, crimping with appropriate connectors, rerouting, reconnecting and dressing.

Rajan