1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What will happen to LINEA with VENTO@6.9L???

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Bala, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    dont think there would be much impact on the Linea as its priced very well and as Chaos and Amogh stated ppl who love the VW would blindly go for the Vento...
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I have a different take on this and feel that Vento will surely hit the Linea hard. Why I think that way?

- Both are Euro cars and buyer's will float more towards diesel then petrol. Vento has Linea beaten here. From what I know, the 1.6L Linea MJD is expected either this year end or Q1 2011. No matter how good, the damage would have been done by then.

- VW brand image is way better then Fiat's. This will enable them to sell the Vento with far fewer features then the Linea at a much higher price! I know it doesn't make sense, but people don't always sit with spreadsheets while buying cars. Perception plays a very important role here and the perception is that VW is a more premium brand. What will assure buyer's of this is the vastly superior interiors and fit and finish in the Vento. I doubt a buyer is going to drop his Vento purchase because the car doesn't have steering mounted control's while competition has.

- Fiat has a chance though. With premium image comes a particular set of customer's. You may see Vento attracting the 40+ customers. If Fiat know how to play their cards well, they will talk about the more fun to drive nature of the Linea (TJet, better ride and handling plus HPS) to attract the 30's customers.

- Yes. Get the 1.6L MJD in asap! Vento is 104bhp. From what I know Fiat's 1.6L can be tuned to 120bhp.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is same situation, when Polo launched and it was guessed by everybody Punto will finish. I have not seen any major drop after Polo's launch. Yes Polo will sell more than Punto, but Punto will also improve its count.

Same thing will happen to Vento. Vento might sell more than Linea, but i don't see major drop in sales of Linea. But yes Fiat has to keep refreshing Punto and Linea with newer/ more powerful engines and keep working on fit-n-finish.
  4. Gmittal

Gmittal Amatore

I second Amit on this. IMO Vento is going to hit Linea really hard. Anyone prefer to buy a VW Sedan in 6.9L as compare to FIAT.
  5. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    IMO, Both the cars will co-exist. None of them will be wiped out.
    Agreed, that Volkswagen has more Brand Value, but one of my colleague who is in the Market for a Decent Sedan, was very excited about the Vento and he came to me. I showed him the comparison between the Linea & the Vento, and all his excitement vanished when we compared the Feature List of both the Cars. So it is not exactly true to say that, people dont change their decision based on the Feature List.

He told that, What the Hell, why Volkswagen has given only 2 Variants, he said "are they (VW) saying that Buy it or Forget it..!! this attitude will not work here, let it be Volkswagen so what ?" I am quoting his exact words here. And on top of that i told him about the Linea Tjet & showed the Michael Schumacher's Commercial for the Tjet :)
    He was completely blown away :) Now he is considering Linea on TOP of his list. FIAT i earned you one more Prospective Customer ::D

I reiterate, both the cars will co-exist. This is purely my opinion.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @ you are correct sharma_sanjeevin
    Both the cars will co-exist. People who actually buy Linea are people who research well before buying the car. They are not the regular buyers who just see what his boss, friend, neighbor bought and make decision on that.
    Also Vento lacks the looks and external build quality of FIAT. VW is good on that front but not in league of FIAT. Though VW have better interior fit and finish. Linea still is the segment leader in looks, handling, features, VFM, ride and weight of the car. Vento kerb weight is 1120 kg while lineas is 1290 kg that is full 170 kg heavier. Also VW have just 40 dealers while FIAT have above 170 and growing very fast(were just 105 at launch time of linea)
    Vento will find it's own buyer. Impact on any other car of this segment would be negligible.
    FIAT bring on the T-JET and 1.6 MJD and show the other car's who the big daddy of power and handling is.
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Vento diesel costs 10L+ OTR and goes into ANHC range. So people with a budget in that range, who do not feel threatened by diesel technology, will more likely opt for VW. IIRC, Linea 1.3 MJD stays in below 10L range and will face competition from SX4, Verna and Fiesta. As amit said, people do not sit with spreadsheets while buying a car, but they do ask family and friends. This is where Honda will score due to better dealership presence.

1.4TJet and 1.6MJD will place Linea in a different category and in that segment, Fiat WILL have to provide better fit interiors if they want a pie of that market share.
  8. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Actually, that 6.9L price is a misnomer. Its for a very basic model & if you compare Apple-to-Apple i.e. the higher variant with E Pack, there is a substantial price difference. Looking at what you get in the higher variant for the price, its highly possible that the basic model won't sell much.

Seondly, the other limitation is a small network of 40+ Dealers/ Service stations won;t allow Vento to set the charts on fire. At best, it could become a niche player in metro's & major cities with few 100's units of sales. I really doubt if it can cross figure of 1000 units in a steady-state situation.

400-500-600 Vento's p.m. with an impact spreaded to ANHC/ Linea/ SX4/ Verna/ Fiesta means impact on Linea won't be much - at best 50-80 units
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Good job selling the Linea, Mr.Punto scale model owner ::D , but the point is that your colleage was not considering the Linea until you showed it's superiority over the Vento. In all probablity, he would have checked out the Vento , City , SX4 and maybe Fiesta and ultimately settled for either City or Vento. That is what I meant when I said VW has better brand image then Fiat. So poor is Fiat's brand image that people are not aware that they are existing in India! Until you get people to CONSIDER buying your car, how are you going to actually sell cars?!?!

Right now, apart from brand image, VW have the advantage of better engines. On paper, the petrol is 104bhp compared to 90bhp of Linea. What can Fiat do to counter this? In both petrol and diesel, Fiat have the fire power to sock it back to the Vento. At least the T-Jet is just around the corner but the main sellers for both Vento & LInea are going to be the diesel's and where the hell is the 1.6L MJD?!?!
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Honestly , my gut feeling is Fiat wont be sitting still especially now that the competition is hotting up. I feel that FIAT will be launching the T-Jet and the 1.6 MJD simultaneously and springing a surprise on Vento. The 1.6 has been with Fiat for long and none can single out a test vehicle with the 1.6 mjd. It should also be noted that Fiat has promised the 1.6 mjd to Maruti for the SX4 shortly and they would not like to give it first to a competitor and give them the first mover advantage.
    So lets wait . This one is a real suspense .

Abdul