1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What Tyre for Linea? 205/55 R16

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by daretodream, Oct 10, 2015.

1. daretodream

daretodream Timido

Bangalore
    HSR Layout
    Linea 1.4
    Hi All

I've a Linea MJD (Jun-2012) with stock Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 tyres.

History of Stock Tyres

They've done 44.8 K Kms till now.
    Jun-2012-Jun-2015 - I used this car for ALL my commute :
    30% Highway Driving (~13K Kms) (Avg Spd 75kmph)
    70% City Driving (~31K Kms in Bangalore) (Avg Spd- 15(?) kmph)

I am not passive driver on highways. I am passive/lazy driver in city- more due to the nature/weight of the car that Linea and its MJD engine is!

Had 3 instances where ABS kicked in - on highways when I spotted speed bump too late at high speed. Never had squealing.
    Had 2-3 instances of aqua planing - and it was my fault to not keep speed in check. I would say I was lucky each time. Another lesson learnt (other than maintaining low speed during rains) was to stick to middle lane - as right lane has lots of water puddles along the median and you will be taken by surprise- the gradient of the road ensures water accumulates along the median and doesnt drain out (drains are chocked)
    Otherwise I couldn't feel difference/poor performance in wet/dry conditions.

On certain tarred highways - where there is heavy truck movement- there are grooves made - and I found my car refusing to come out of those grooves - and would move out only when I reduce speed below 80kmph.

Current Physical Status:
    Almost all tyres are bald with max tread depth of 2mm.

Current Usage:
    My Linea is parked and I take it out every Sunday - just to give it a run of 5-10 kms. Ever since I got a car from company (Grand i10 AMT) in June'15 - Grand i10 has become my primary car for daily commute <and I am loving it!>. Interestingly even my Grand i10 has Goodyears!

Experience with Stock Goodyear Eagle NCT5 Tyres
    I never 'hated'/'disliked' these tires - Rather always felt happy to see same NCT5 in Mercs, Superbs, Lauras and Jettas.

Had only one puncture at 43K kms. <touch-wood>

Tire noise - I always admired the huge 205 tyres and also I admired the noise from them. I always told myself that since other luxury cars also have it as stock tyres in them- means NCT5 has met stringent quality/safety metrics!

Moreover I didn't have the budget to upgrade stock tyres - so I lived with it until now. In the hindsight- I don't regret upgrading the tyres i.e. Dont feel I missed something.

Spare Tyre
    My spare is a full 16" alloy with NCT5 and never used

Hindsight - What I did wrong/ Could have done better

Tyre Rotation
    I never really followed tyre rotation as per more diligent members of this forum.
    Swapped Front <> Rear at 18K and then at 32K

Corrective Steps:
    I will do wheel rotation every 5K Kms (along with wheel alignment check) - from a credible service station.

Wheel Alignment
    I left the wheel alignment ONLY to the annual service by FIAT ASS. I think they did shoddy job. (Fiat service is at 15K Kms or 12 months)

All my tyres have worn-out unevenly - and that is a function of incorrect wheel balancing/wheel alignment and less-frequenst wheel rotation.

Corrective Steps:
    Lesson learnt- not leave Wheel Alignment to ASS and Free Service sessions.
    I will do Wheel Alignment and Balancing every 5K kms - Paid service- at a credible place.

Tyre Pressure
    I did tyre pressure check-up only when I did Fuel Top-Up - that too at times when I saw I huge queue - I would rather skip it out of impatience and leave it for next top-up.

Corrective Steps:
    A month back, I've got a CODIO Manual Double Cylinder Foot Pump and Codio presure gauge and I do it myself for all my vehicles now - every weekend. :)

My Current Budget
    I've a budget of 35K. Can stretch by 2K.

Future Usage
    1. Linea will be used only for highway ridings (which will be once a quarter)
    2. Rest of the times- it will be pretty much do a 10-20 kms run in city per week.
    3. Tyre size will remain stock - 205 55 R16

I enquired 2 places in HSR and Tyre Plus guy is pushing Michelin 3ST at 8950 and the Bridgestone Showroom is pushing B290 at 8750.

I asked them about Goodyear Eagle NCT5 - and they were saying its not good!
    Each showroom us pushing what they have in stock and talk non-sense about what they don't have!

I am so confused !
    I am a lazy guy to goto JC Road - to enquire or for any after-sales-servicing.
    I stay in HSR and would prefer anything close by.

Are Goodyears that bad and Michelins that good ?
    I may sound foolish - but, hey, I can only appreciate anything if I experience it!
    My next long trip is 2-3 months away and I am in no hurry!

Please help with suggestions - both on tyre models and renowned vendors!
  2. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I would not suggest going back to the Goodyear Eagle NCT 5. You can look at the Michelin P3ST or Continental MC5. Pirelli too is available at much lower prices. Ensure you dont buy tyres that are older (generally shops push the older tyres for lower prices). You will not go wrong with Michelin P3ST, Continental MC5 and Pirelli ones.
    Saket Sidana and daretodream like this.
  3. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @daretodream : You can stick to the Goodyear tyres which fiat already is using on their cars. There must be some rationale why fiat is recommending them at the first place. Other brands may be better, but, if your usage is also going to be less, then these performance tyres may not be required that much. Finally it all boils down to your individual requirements. Its always safer to go with the manufacturer recommendations.
    avithe1 likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The rationale behind having the Goodyear tyres are the cost and availability, which the after market ones wont be able to match.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Well, any manufacturer will check the technical fitment of the components first and then select one of them based on commercial and other aspects. But yes, better options may be available at higher prices.
  6. alok

alok Timido

DELHI
    You have achieved 45K with Goodyear NCT5 with your lazy driving style which is very good..why do you want to change..I suggest keep it same..I have Tjet, getting the same life..will be keeping the same tyres for sure..
  7. alok

alok Timido

DELHI
    Your Case is same as me..this time use the spare as regular tyre and put the new tyre as spare..it's not advisable to keep a tyre for more than 4-5 yrs..this way you will be able to utilise your spare fully and it will be an economical decision..
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    My 2012 June make MJD Emotion also came with Good Year NCT 5. At 38,000km, due to uneven wear, I had to change tyres. Owing low vitamin M, I chose Yoko A drives, instead of performance ones, spent 28K for all the 4 together. When compared with Yoko A, I felt Good Year NCT5 was a better tyre, especially for the grip. My Odo now stands at 64,700km. I wish I had changed to better tyres (Michelin, etc), because the car is at its prime now and I run on not so better tyres. The next change would be at around 80,000kms or after and then my car will be close to a lac. I would certainly change to better tyres in the next change, as I want to experience them.

The whole point I am trying to make is that, if you are going to have good use of the car, you may think of performance ones. Otherwise, sticking to NCT5 makes more sense.
    daretodream likes this.
  9. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    I have T-Jet with same GY NCT5 tyres clocked 24K. I had a difference of opinion on the grip front, I had bad experiences while climbing mulyangiri hill in chikamangalore. Due to the hard nature of the tyre in a mild slush and hard surface underneath the tyre kept rotating and refused to climb [Maruti Omni climbed effortlessly]. I had a similar experience in Cunnor, where the terrain is dry, very hard and slippery.
    When I plan to change I am not going to go with NCT5, I will prefer some soft tyre. Moreover it is very costly.
  10. daretodream

daretodream Timido

Bangalore
    HSR Layout
    Linea 1.4

A quick update

On the weekend I visited Madhus (Langford) and I was given below rates:
    Michelin P3ST: 10190
    Continental : 8600
    Pirelli: Rs 9500 (But offered Rs 7500 as its a promo from company itself)

I enquired again from Tyre Empire(HSR) and they quoted
    Michelin: Rs 10200
    Pirelli P7 = Rs 9200 (No mention from them about any promo)
    Falken = Rs 9200

I asked both places whether they have any one who is upgrading stock tyres in this size that I can buy - but there wasnt any thing with them

So, I am confused between Michelin Primacy 3ST and Pirelli P7.

I learnt later that this rate was excluding the taxes. That means 14.xx% extra (VAT etc) ie. around 1400 extra to be paid!

Thanks for advice. Please help with the narrowed down confusion :)
    I read in another forum that Pirelli P7 are very old models and warranty issues are there.. the comments were not qualified further

I would too!
    But- When I enquired about NCT5 at Tyre Empire (HSR)- the price was around 8500 - which makes it in same range as Pirelli P7... so more(and seemingly better) options - means heavy confusion!

I never ventured to hills - the only closest being one trip to Tirupati (Tirumala hills) - where I didnt feel any difference.

Thanks for that insight! Hadn't thought that way!
    My car will get into the prime with the new shoes that I get now..