1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What to do when you witness a live accident ?

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by riturajmnnit, Jan 28, 2013.

1. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    I know this is scary indeed for everyone.
    Today was my first, I was driving back from Goa to Bangalore and took a detour to Gokarna, On they way saw a SUV (Bolero/Scorpio) going berserk and toppling :eek:
    Obviously we pulled over, but I had been following accident threads in Team BHP and my instict asked me to rush for help and I ran to see if I could do something, there was lot of smoke being emitted so got a lil scared but then there was this fellow (local) who helped me and we opened a door and was able to pull out 1 passenger (Son) and his mom, dad and uncle were still in car. I could see quite a lot of blood and initially took it to be fatal but then realized they all were safe, just in a shock to move.

In the meanwhile my family in my car called 101 and 108.

Then I was too shocked to do anything and in the mean time locals chipped in and they had to brake the windshield to pull out the rest.
    As I said I was also mentally shocked and my friend in my car, took the wheel and we drove off, when assured that people are attending.

Now my question and this should help everyone:

1> I am damn sure after witnessing this I would not have had the courage to drive for a while as all those faces were flashing in front of my eyes
    2> My cousin also had joined me in helping and he too was badly shocked and disturbed for atleast next 2-3 hours
    3> What should one do in such situation, I know as a human, I should do everything to save them but what if that takes toll on me ?
    4> As expected insensitive behaviour of Govt Ambulance. They said they are on way and kept calling me to locate, and then on my way I saw a 108 (hardly 7-8) kms from accident site, I asked him to rush and he was like this is not in my territory. To f*** with your territory, its not a 100 kms thing, after insisting he did go
    5> My friend thought this is a bus and he informed 101 saying its am bus accident, and when they called later, I informed them its a SUV with 4 people. They were like ohh its just an SUV, then why the hell you said bus. As if more the merrier :(

I am still confused if what I did was right, humanly yes but personally no, just imagine what if I was only one who had to drive my family back another 500 kms :( because I would not have been in position to drive.

What I learned:

1> Always keep an extended First aid kit.
    2> Gonna Buy a fire extinguisher and keep in car
    3> Gonna buy a glass cutter because it was difficult to brake the windshield and I even injured myself (just a little)

Pour in your suggestion !!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    8 people like this.
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

What you did is indeed the best possible thing to do. Hats off to you.Regarding the apathy of the Government machinery - Please also look at it from their perspective. That is their job and they must be dealing with dead and seriously injured accident victims, day in and day out, which results in a general insensitivity to such occurrences. I am not condoning their lack of sensitivity, but just trying to reason why it this way.

In this regard, I truly believe in this:
    Karmanye vadhika raste, Ma phaleshu kadachana;
    ma karma phala he tur bhuh, ma te sangvasta karmani;

Having said that, the points you have raised in your learnings are very valid. Having an extended FA kit and a fire extinguisher in the car is always a very wise thing to do. I assume you tried breaking the front wind shield. That glass would be really hard to break as it is laminated. All the side glasses and the rear wind shield are far easier to break and would break into harmless blunt edged pieces. The trick is to hit the glass hard with a sharp object, so as to get a good impact on one concentrated point. Something like this would be really handy as it also has a seatbelt cutter built-in.

Hats off to you once again.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Yeah we tried breaking the front shield as car was not fully toppled but 90 degrees, which means passengers were lying on other doors which was banged on road, And we were unable to pull out from the door upside as they were too shocked to move, so only option was to brake the shield and pull them out.

All it did was to scare my family but then I reassured them that we are Linea :)
  4. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Let me applaud you for your kind, humanity and perhaps brave action as well as for those who helped you in saving those poor people. However, i would blame the guy who was insanely driving that BOX car which is more likely to topple. I still wonder why it really did topple any way? Was he trying to avoid some thing or tyre issue or i dunno. But all in all, i feel sorry for those people who did really got injured including the driver.

Regarding the concerns you raised, yes every human in this country thinks twice before even being a witness into any accident or crime or whatever because of our law and stuff which Mr. Rajan also pointed out. Some times doing good also can cause problems to you, but we gotta face it. It has happened to me many times (No not accident/crime thing) but i do face it (Blames, finger pointing, anger, etc.).

W.r.t to the learning's apart from what you mentioned, make sure next time onwards, no matter what you do not give any chance to get into that situation in your car (Touch wood) + see whats the reason for that accident if possible, so that you can take some measures for your car too like for example the tyre blow out mentioned by a TFI member recently and measures taken.

Bravo for the brave action and Good Luck :clap
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    He wasnt insanely driving i guess, but he dozed off i guess and the car drove the the gap between road and side walls, possibly he sensed the wrong and did random things to control the car which forced its way to topple.

Also saw a tyre blowout somewhere near Tumkur (that was an indica with two occupants), I didnt stop this time :) The car was very much intact, just saw a biggggg chunk of tyre on road :p
  6. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Its unfortunate that people end up in such situations, i have always observed this happening many times its not that how big the vehicle is or how much it costs only thing that matters is whether it is safe for the family.. the person who's driving the vehicle has proper knowledge of the car with respect to power of the engine, braking, dynamics. I feel sad to see that there is no hard rule to check these when issuing licenses or the cars to the customers.. :- (

This thread could be useful in such situations .. http://www.teamfiat.co.in/safety-first/8326-what-do-case-accident.html
  7. We really are very proud of what you did rituraj.
    What you did was the best you could after an accident, we should learn from you that we as humanbeings mustnt shy away from our responsibilities from people at their time of distress.

Now in case you are involved in an accident or have witnessed one it is advisable to sit quietly for a couple of mins and let your mind get out of shock state, only when your mind is clear you will be able to make correct decisions..

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  8. riturajmnnit

riturajmnnit Amatore

Bengaluru, India
    Thank you Arnab !!
  9. Arryan

Arryan Regolare

Linea 1.3
    What you did Rituraj was the best thing possible under the circumstances. A big round of applause from my side.
    It is quite common for anyone under such circumstances to get puzzled and shocked, but one needs to maintain his cool in such situations.
    You could have taken any metal objects, maybe from your car, to break the windscreen.

I would advise you not to be so sensitive about the action of the police. It is only because of the fear of police involvement that a normal citizen tends to avoid getting involved in such situation. But as a learned citizen, I think, it is our duty to help people in a case of road accident.

You have shown great courage and Thanks to you for all you did.