1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What to do to avoid dogs climbing on the car ?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by Naughty, Aug 22, 2012.

1. arpenkar

arpenkar

Thane
    Has anyone tried sourcing something like this?

Ultrasonic Dog Repeller - Amazon.com

The DIY gurus of TFI should probably take this up as a project to integrate the ultrasonic dog repeller with the car alarm mechanism...might make for an interesting project!!

Also, the humour quotient of this post has been too good!! Keep it coming!!
    1 person likes this.
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    Now they are used to with the smell of Phenyl as well... :confused
    Tried 2-3 different types of phenyl... procured the strongest available phenyl but still of no use... I tried pouring phenyl directly instead of diluting it with Water...
    but of no use now... in fact they roamed quite peacefully around the area where I had poured phenyl and even smelt the tires on which I poured the Phenyl and did pee on the tyre... :oops:
    Task is still on... struggling with it... dont know what to do ? :confused
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am also fed up of dogs.....My car bonnet is totally gone...with marks of dogs paws all over, scratches and bulges......also the roof has some scratches because of this....
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Simple solution is to inform the Dog control board or Municipal corporation and raise a complaint.., they will come and catch the dogs in the vicinity..
    One more solution is to install a sensor with a buzzer to wade away dogs that come near it
  5. rider60

rider60

hyderabad
    man in all of the 7 pages i read, no one asked you whether if you have a street garbage bin near by? well this is the number one attractor for the dogs, they are dirty smelling just the way dogs and stray animals like them and a place these dogs go to eat.

if your car is parked anywhere near by it, it would to tough to battle this problem, but not impossible.

there are two options you can employ.
    stray dogs or domesticated ones it doesnt matter they all hate strong smells. in your case stray dogs raised on streets would be absolutely repellent to strong perfume/good smells.

now option one. use a FOGG or a non aerosol/alcohol based perfume/spray or even attar would do, and apply it at the car's wheel arches and a little around, i mentioned these because the stench of these perfumes cant be gotten rid off as easily as others like phenol or deo sprays, it takes another strong soap to get rid of them and they will do a good job of keeping any rodents, stray animals both dogs and cats away.

another is a crude thing but will ensure the repelling job is done perfectly. get some tobacco doesnt matter what brand it has to be very pungent thats all, use one of them perforated plastic bags (usually used for packing veggies at supermarket or that odonil cake's perforated plastic bag) to fill this up with and tie it beneath your car at a few places every night. you should replace the tobacco as soon as the smell from it is lost. even better use gunny bags with holes in it to pack this tobacco.

both these would work fine for the stray animals, rodents and insects.
    all the best and let me know the results.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. Bala

Bala Esperto

Villupuram
    To avoid dogs climbing on the car, one can try climbing on the dogs, over pwer them and if that fails, befriend them :)
    Am an animal lover, i will give my car for dogs to climb rather than to a few humans who behave like dogs :(
    2 people like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The dogs liked Linea so much they claimed it as their territory. Linea's stance in to be blamed. :p
    They scratched her, slept over her and abandoned her in the morning.
    Yet dogs are the best pets known to men, who make it a dogs life for dogs on street.

Just get your cars buffed and polished again later and call animal control and get the dogs in locality spayed (for the dog's sake), thereby helping them. (the dogs.) :D
    2 people like this.
  8. Maxtor

Maxtor Amatore

New Delhi
    It's a very common problem in Delhi as I see dogs sitting on cars every day. Just last night I was driving past Central Lane on the way back from ND station and I saw dogs on cars parked there. It is also very common in the area that I live in , but thankfully less common in my parking area now where the guards are extra alert to keep stray dogs far away from cars most probably because of previous incidents.

Dog lover or not, a dog sitting on top of a car can mean a small dent at the least(not on a Fiat, but I have had dents on a Maruti roof earlier) and definitely scratches if the dog chooses to doodle his paws on the roof of your car. I haven't even mentioned poop which can be around your car also if the dog likes being around your car very much. Kids can get food poisoned while playing with their play ball in dog poop areas - coincidentally in our crowded cities the place where small kids play and where people take their pet dogs to poop are the same - food poisoning cases have been reported in the newspapers with this as a reason.

By the way is the bottle method working, because if it is it will help a lot of people who have dogs sitting on cars.

Stray dogs is a very real problem in all cities and towns in India, thanks to Maneka Gandhi who got in a law many years ago that municipalities can't touch dogs, and since then all Indian municipalities just stay away from doing anything to stray dogs to clear cities or when acting on complaints from residential areas. They were supposed to implement other things to ensure that the dog population does not multiply but that has not happened with the result that India has been invaded by stray dogs - if you walk around at night you will know what I am talking about because they will come barking at you. You will also find thousands of stray dogs in every hill station in India. In fact just about everywhere; whether a stray dog chooses to wag his tail or bite is his wish.

Several so called dog lovers put dog collars on stray dogs and let them hang around in residential colonies against RWA rules that discourage strays(they can bite people especially children, and they do), feed them once in 2-3 days or whenever they feel like and do all kinds of 'helpful' things, making the dogs hang around the houses even more(not inside their house but outside in the residential colonies and they bark at everyone passing by and even bite many times). These people are a bigger nuisance than stray dogs - and this is not only my personal opinion but that of most RWAs in cities.

So if you're indeed a real dog lover and you seriously mean it, go the whole way and take stray dogs into your house and care for them as you would for any family member. Or start, or help start a place that can accommodate strays in your area. Believe me you will earn a huge amount of karma and I am not joking, people will really appreciate it and will call you a real dog lover and a great guy. But don't come and announce yourself as a dog lover where STRAY dog problems are being discussed with dents/ scratches on cars caused due to stray dogs, because you are not suggesting a solution but are being part of the problem. (Not pointing at anyone in particular just driving home a point)

By the way I like dogs but I wish people would try and find solutions for the sake of stray dogs and not just defend them meaninglessly at every single juncture to the extent of saying I would rather let dog do dash-dash to my car than human beings. Be realistic and practical. Menaka jee may have had good intentions at the time I am sure but look outside if you live in middle class India and you will find an army of hungry stray dogs everywhere. You'll find dead bodies of stray dogs on roads, isn't that sad - what do 'dog lovers' do about it? They should call themselves 'lover of my dog only' instead of dog lover.

Unfortunately, India's 'dog lovers' choose Labradors, Chihuahuas, Lhasa Apsos and Dobermans for their house but when it comes to stray pups and dogs, never ever consider them as a pet, and give them their leftovers only when they feel like, and also make sure that they never come inside their house. A case in point is my neighbour who has about 10-15 stray dogs outside her house at any given time and she really enjoys it when she gets out from her chauffeur driven car and some 15 dogs come wagging their tails but when she opens the gate and goes inside she stops the dogs with her high heeled foot from coming inside(she has 5 expensive breeds inside the house who go out only with servant for their 'walks'). Most people including kids avoid the path in front of the house because the dogs bark and bite anyone who comes near, and she has also ignored all requests from neighbours and RWA.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Maxtor everyone is aware of the situation of stray dogs. As much serious a problem it is when the no. of stray dogs increased, people are the ones responsible for this whole issue. In our housing society we had MS gates installed on each wing for about 11-12 buildings, just to keep the dogs entering the building wings. When some dudes in society (mob rage) actually took to regular violence and crusade against dogs in society slowly and steadily the dogs started to learn to keep away from the society. Ofcourse this action was due to dogs barking and biting a few kids and elders too; which made some people see red. Someone even poisoned a dog who ended up dying outside my apartment. Having said this, I still believe and completely agree with Bala that people are much more harmful than animals.

I too like dogs, but don't ever feed them food (at the expense of causing nuisance to others) and don't object to their being around either. Some even help the society watchmen to keep strangers at bay. And what do they ask in return, nothing I'd say. Anyways, the root of this problem was more due to nearby slums in Mumbai who threw waste in and around the dumpsters.
    If dogs are fed by man and don't roam about fighting for territory (survival instinct) you will find the incidents of attack to be negligible. Spaying them is the only way to tackle their sudden population and help them to an extent. But this needs special efforts by motivated people.

When dogs started roaming the streets the municipal authorities were compelled to act and somehow all of a sudden not a single dog was to be seen in the locality again. When people going for walks were bitten and complained to the authorities in person somehow action was taken. Then slowly there were round the clock garbage collection from dumpsters which in a way made sure that the problem stayed solved for long.

Another incident sometime back near Navi-Mumbai was in papers, when a pup was dragged behind a bike by enraged guys for so long just because it peed or pooped outside someone's apartment or home. The local police lodged an FIR under some section, but that was it. There are hundreds of such animal abuse happening around each day. When the dog does it like bark or bite, it is a natural defense, it's hardwired for survival, but man can be pure evil going against certain animals.

1 person likes this.
  10. rider60

rider60

hyderabad
    why is this thread becoming a ranty one where you still type out the problems, blame the system and dogs? :confused:

I and others gave you guys possible solutions, why not try them instead of unnecessary posts(read jokes) and complaints?:mad:

EDIT: at the end of the day its your car, and your property that needs protection from dogs. we will have to take care of the problems ourselves rather than discussing about the municipalities and useless govt policies that dont help neither the animals nor US.
    1 person likes this.