1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

What Remap means for a sedate driver?

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by vijai, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Swaminathan Gopalan

Swaminathan Gopalan Timido

Coimbatore
    @vijai : Apollo Accelere is also too noisy. I own a linea having apollo accelere & not satisfied as it is heavily noisy particularly at rough roads. Better go for Michelin or Yokohama.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    About tyres: I have installed Bridgestone Potenza RE88 recently on my Punto. Car is so silent that now that I can hear only engine grunt (1.4 FIRE engine) if I am at higher speeds (above 2.5 k rpm / 80 kmph). Driving feels very different now because lot of new sounds (like widely discussed wind noise at higher speeds) are audible which were never felt earlier because of noisy stock GT3s.
  3. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Update - Wolf moto team would be in coimbatore this weekend. Got a call from Adarsh (one of the team) and they are here to remap for couple of guys at Coimbatore. Anyone from coimbatore, who is willing to meet or get remapped can meet them this weekend.
    Mabams1826 likes this.
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

If you are after the silence in car, then go for Michelin XM2 and for damping, Dampmat. Now why I suggested XM2 and dampmat when others are saying different.
    Reason being,
    For tires, I have used MRF ZLO, Yoko Decibals and now Michelin XM2. All these tires are the most silent tires of each manufacture respectively. ZLO is most silent in MRF, Decibal is most silent in Yokos and XM2 is most in Michelin. Among all these, XM2 is the most silent and Iam currently on XM2 which have already done 15k+ kms.
    BUT if you are a tire life freak, head clear off all these options.
    And just steer clear from Apollo acceleres also, very bad wet grip, thou are silent. Just dont take chance with these.

For damping, nothing in market can beat the VFM aspect of Dampmat. A full kit costs around 6k and that will be enough to do complete front and rear doors, that too with double layering. The stuff is solid, heavy & 100% fire proof and on par with focal and dampmat sheets. Does't smell at all, and works wonderfully. Iam having same from more than 2 years now and it still beats the dynamat and others some of my friends having hands down. Yes it is heavy, so again, if you are a die hard fuel-average freak than I wont suggest it. BUT then a light damp sheet gives light effect :-D

At the end, it will be remap which will work as icing on cake, referring cake to silence ;-)

Also let me tell you, remap is a must for even a sedate driver. A sedate driver also love minimal gear shifting, with ease of overtaking from any speed and at any gear and that is what you will get after a good remap. Again, Iam myself using a remapped version of 75bhp Punto from above a year now.

All the above recommendations are purely after experiencing them myself and not off google or cut-pasting from any other forum.
    Cheers !
  5. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks for a very detailed suggestion Sunswape. I very much prefer silent tyre but would like life too. Will Xm2 last for 30 - 35 k. That would do for me. And remap - you did from wolf moto? Dampmat - I'll put for floor also as suggested by asimpleson. Nothing like a nice melody song inside a quite cabin during a smooth drive :D. I am asking too much.
  6. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

XM2 'should' last more than that. I cant comment on it yet as I have done not more than 16k kms right now,but seeing the treads right now, I think it should go more than 35k kms.
    And Iam running remap from TDI guys, Wolfmoto is not available here. Got a wild map thou :-D
    And getting floor damped would be overkill. Just do the doors and you are good to go. Dont add too much unnecessary weight. Also stripping everything for doing floor damped is just waste, unless you opt for some serious audio installation in you car.
    BTW damping the floor helps in reducing road noise only, which Punto does quite well already, its engine noise which is some troubling and I guess you want to counter that only, so let me tell you, to reduce engine noise, you need to damp firewall area and again that is out of question here. SO,just do the doors and have a chill pill :-D

A pic of one of the door damped completely of my Punto, 20120625_130832.jpg with Dampmat

Cheers
  7. vijai

vijai Novizio

coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks Sunswape. I'll enquire the dampmat kit. You mentioned as 6k. I'll check how much they quote here in Coimbatore. Regarding michellin heard they have soft side walls and may get hit in pot holes? How do u see that in ur ownership?
  8. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Yes, Michelin has always been on soft side. Now coming to XM2, these have been launched just to counter the sidewall bulge and unnecessary puncture problems which were there in XM1 variant. Now till now Iam having zero punctures AND I have driven these in Himachal and on highways out and even hit them hard some 1 or 2 times in potholes on highway speeds, no problem till now. Now if the tire can take the abuse of the almost non-existing link-roads to my native place in Himachal, then it can take anything :-D So far Iam more then happy with XM2, verry silent and comfy tires, plus I never lost control on these even once so they passed performance parameter too. Will refer 100% to you.
    Just save money on anything but never on tires and alloys/rims.

Cheers !
  9. magnan

magnan Amatore

Jaipur, Rajasthan
    I installed Yoko Earth1 after retiring stock Goodyear at 45 K kms. They were pretty silent when bought, but now odometer is 76 K kms and now they don't appear that much silent. Remaining life of these tyres is approx 30 K kms. All things deteriorate with time.
  10. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Vijai, the quietest tyre to my knowledge currently is the Michelin Primacy 3st(Silence tuned). They are on my Tjet.

Did you meet the "wolf" guys? Remapped?